Repairs Mower won't turn off?

cowofawesome

Threads
Hi everyone,

I'll start off by saying that I'm new here, so hello!

A friend of my family's recently told me he broke his old mower and got a new one. He gave me the broken one to try to fix and sell. It's a Cub Cadet 11a-18mc056. After fresh oil, gas and an air filter, it seems to be running fine. I'm not really sure what he thought was broken about it. The only problem is that it the engine won't turn off. When you release the handle it just slows down a little bit. I've checked the throttle cable and it's releasing all the way. The only way I can turn it off is by pulling the spark plug.

I checked the manual online to see what it said about turning off the engine, because I didn't know if I was missing something obvious. It said: release the handle, and then disconnect the spark plug. I don't know if it means disconnect the spark plug after the engine's off as a safety precaution, or if that's actually the way that you turn off the engine?

Thanks for any help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to see if the cable which is attached to the bail handle is moving freely. Look closely where the cable is attached to the engine. This part should move freely when the bail is released, shutting off the engine. Post your engine model numbers and I'll try to find a picture of what I mean.

cowofawesome

Threads
Hi,
The engine is a Cub Cadet 1P70FUA.
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but the piece that the cable is connected to is very hard to move without pressing the handle.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are numbers on the shroud (engine cover). The part on the engine may not be returning far enough to stop the engine.

cowofawesome

Threads
Well, sorry to waste your time. While I was inspecting the cable connections I found that a wire from the throttle to the ignition coil had become disconnected, and plugging that back in solved the problem.
Thanks anyways!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, sorry to waste your time. While I was inspecting the cable connections I found that a wire from the throttle to the ignition coil had become disconnected, and plugging that back in solved the problem.
Thanks anyways!

That's good news......just don't tell the friend of the family that he gave away a perfectly good mower to spend unnecessary money on a new one:0)