Mower wont start

mshearne

Threads
I have a ridint mower, model 46102X6B manufactured date is 00066
The mower sat idle for about a year parked under my carport. My neighbor's cows took care of the lawn while the fence was down. Fence fixed, I started using the mower again after replacing the gas, spark plug, and cleaning the carb.
Hired hand came and tinkered with it because it was not starting, got it to run and used it for about 20 minutes. It died and he cranked and cranked and cranked and........ Well, it was several minutes before I could stop him. Replaced the starter and the solenoid. New battery.
Now I cant even get it to turn over.
Didn't have time to tinker so I took it to a repairman who has been in business a long time.
He checked the mower out and couldn't identify the problem. Compression test showed 80psi and 100psi in cylindars. Not great but it should start. The coils seem to be good also - there is fire at the plug. So, he called a couple of times to discuss it with me and discontinued working on it. No charge.
I need help with this community. Do you have any ideas about where I might look to find the problem? Loose wire? Safety switch? Ground or short?
Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it came to me with the conditions you describe I would be removing and rebuilding the carb.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Any good tech would know and have a good set non invasive tests to determine where the problem is the that old Briggs Vertical opposed engine if it is the original engine. The very first test would tell if was ignition or fuel related, then he should been able follow thru with more non invasive tests. Kinda sound the guy had no idea how to trouble an engine.

Yes the compression is a little low but that might be that the valves needs adjusting. Not simple task but doable.

kbowley

Threads
Good 'ol Murray! Take the carb off and clean 'ur good. I like those opposed twins...sound great. If you have spark, will it fire on carb cleaner or starting fluid?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good 'ol Murray! Take the carb off and clean 'ur good. I like those opposed twins...sound great. If you have spark, will it fire on carb cleaner or starting fluid?
I would clean it prior to removing the carb. Try to keep any and all grit out of the engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would start out with fresh non E-10 fuel. Drain all the old out AT the carb. Probably full of water. Watch for good flow AT the carb inlet. Report back.

Sounds like you have spark.

So now it won't physically turn over at all? Clarify does the motor turn over or not please. Could be a stuck open carb needle and seat.

Pull the oil dip stick. Smell for fuel. Should smell like oil only. Gas like smell report back here.

kbowley

Threads
I would start out with fresh non E-10 fuel. Drain all the old out AT the carb. Probably full of water. Watch for good flow AT the carb inlet. Report back.

Sounds like you have spark.

So now it won't physically turn over at all? Clarify does the motor turn over or not please. Could be a stuck open carb needle and seat.

Pull the oil dip stick. Smell for fuel. Should smell like oil only. Gas like smell report back here.
Good point, please clarify "won't turn over". Do you mean the engine is cranking but won't fire, or the starter isn't turning the engine when you turn the key to the start position? If the former, have you pulled a plug to see if it is wet with gas, meaning it's flooded, or dry, meaning it is not getting gas? Thanks.

mshearne

Threads
The man who worked on it tried carb cleaner but couldn't get it to start. I'll get a can of starter spray and try a couple of times and referesh my memory of the specifics of what it is doing and what it is not doing.

mshearne

Threads
0k. I don't have any starter fluid or carb cleaner. So, I turned the starter and the engine just cranked and cranked but no start.
I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and let the gas pour out till it stopped. not long, maybe a few seconds. Then tried to start and it cranked a couple of times and then started. Ran like crap. Remembered that I had the choke full on. closed the choke and it ran less crappy. Turned the throttle up and now it sounds like a mower again.
Gonna run and cut some grass while its working. I'll update later..

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
0k. I don't have any starter fluid or carb cleaner. So, I turned the starter and the engine just cranked and cranked but no start.
I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and let the gas pour out till it stopped. not long, maybe a few seconds. Then tried to start and it cranked a couple of times and then started. Ran like crap. Remembered that I had the choke full on. closed the choke and it ran less crappy. Turned the throttle up and now it sounds like a mower again.
Gonna run and cut some grass while its working. I'll update later..
Drain the tank AT the carb inlet as instructed. Put fresh gas in. Mow away.

Glad to hear you are close to getting her rollin'.