Mower will not shut off 2014 Lazer Z e-series

dwooten01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. I’m having a strange issue. I was mowing yesterday and my just shut off mid stripe. It’s a 2014 Lazer Z e-series with a Kawasaki Fx730v. It would not start just click the relay. I got it to fire back up by jump starting it. The battery was reading 12.6 volts and only dropped to about 9.8-10 when trying to start. Once started the mower will not turn off with the key. I either had to flood it with choke or shut the gas off. I took my ignition switch and stuck it in another mower and it started and shut off the mower fine. I bought a new battery today and when I put it in it starts but will not shut off. I checked all fuses and grounds they are ok.. anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Droping to 10V at start up is border line for dead battery.
As for the rest I need a serial number & model number at least to get a wiring diagram
The only eXmark one I have is for the Laser Z XP which have 3 cylinder petrol or diesel engines
These all use a starting relay and a logic processor which switches the engine on or off .
The FX 730 V each coil will have a single thin wire leading to it
This wire goes to ground to stop the engine
If the key switch has a ground terminal on it then the kill is done at the switch
However eXmark like to use an ignition control relay which is normally closed grounding the magnetos
When energised via the key switch it goes open circuit

dwooten01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the response. I have the wiring diagram. I believe the coils have a single wire running from the ignition to shut them down and turn the mower off. I will post the pics maybe it will help you

Attachments

• 53BB1AAE-0227-425B-AF29-9854745AF3CE.jpeg
    53BB1AAE-0227-425B-AF29-9854745AF3CE.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 648384B9-5E05-4340-BDC9-68707A9B94B0.jpeg
    648384B9-5E05-4340-BDC9-68707A9B94B0.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 10

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You probably fine the terminals in the MX150 connector at the hour meter corroded if they are anything like the ones used on the Toro mowers. Supposed to be water proof but water still finds its way into the connector.

dwooten01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thoroughly cleaned all of the connections under the “dash” panel with contact cleaner and regreased them. They had some corrosion (minor) on them but all in all look pretty good. My mower has never sat in the rain and is stored in a heated garage. I think I may have been rained on mowing once since I bought it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you follow the single wire on the magneto you see it goes to the "Hour Meter Intermodule "
If you look at the ignition switch you will see it has no ground contact
Therefore the key switch itself can not make the ground contact for the magneto

You will also see on the diagram that all of the safety switches connect to the same module .
This means that the module has a chip in it that controls the mower & in particular turns the magneto on & off
If the white wire at the engine to mower plug is not ground with the mower turned off then the module is cactus & so will be your wallet .
Check all of the connections going to the module every wire should be battery voltage or open circuit depending upon weather the safety switch is NO or NC when you are mowing.
I have a Z master that I ended up rewiring because the new module worked for all of 3 minutes before blowing again & the owner did not want to stump up another $ 450 for another module nor $ 675 for a new loom .
When I checked the loom there were broken connections everywhere from vibrations + a lot of corrosion because this is a commercial machine with 2500 hours on it .
Like most ZTR's there is not enough support for the wiring so wires break where the crimp is .

Now I have no eXmarks in my run & never put a spanner on one but they are made by Toro & have almost identical wiring .
Check you main power feed wire from the Hot terminal on the starter to the module via the fuses .
It is prone to failure at the engine to mower plug on the Z masters .
As Star has already said grease everything
I find lanolin grease works very well for this rather than expensive contact grease .

FWIW to test the module I use a lot of small jumpers with a male terminal on each end
Every plug gets pulled off every switch and I connect the wires with the jumpers then check the output from the module .
The bit that usually fails first is the start relay trigger

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got it to fire back up by jump starting it
you removed the jumper right? We've all been known to do worse. :)

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Droping to 10V at start up is border line for dead battery.
As for the rest I need a serial number & model number at least to get a wiring diagram
The only eXmark one I have is for the Laser Z XP which have 3 cylinder petrol or diesel engines
These all use a starting relay and a logic processor which switches the engine on or off .
The FX 730 V each coil will have a single thin wire leading to it
This wire goes to ground to stop the engine
If the key switch has a ground terminal on it then the kill is done at the switch
However eXmark like to use an ignition control relay which is normally closed grounding the magnetos
When energised via the key switch it goes open circuit
Battery level of 9 volts or better at starter while cranking is normal. Some systems use both magneto ground to shut down and fuel solenoid loss of power to spring close the fuel in the carb from entering the main jet. Some newer models only use the fuel solenoid, which is a sticky thing often and also intermittent. Turn key on and off several times and listen and feel the solenoid. A click should be heard and or felt. If not closing with key off and no magneto kill black wire, then you most likely have found the issue.