Mower starts runs stalls

VegetiveSteam

Threads
At first if sounds and feels like it is loosing power than dies. It starts up again to make it into garage. I just noticed that when I disconnected fuel hose and opened 'fuel shut off' valve just a trickle of fuel came out. That may explain why it just barely runs then dies. I just ordered new valve and should arrive today.
It could be an issue with getting good fuel flow through the valve but do you know for sure you're getting good fuel flow to the valve?

bkicker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just replaced the coils, did about the same thing you described on the same motor

crazykartman

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you’re only getting a trickle of fuel, you may have debris clogging the fuel inlet in the fuel tank. I’ve had it happen numerous times. Blow compressed air back up the fuel hose into the tank. If there is something in there, you’ll see it in the tank. Don’t blow in there too hard or you’ll get fuel everywhere.

What’s happening is it’s drawing fuel and that debris into the fuel line, the engine uses up what it can until a vacuum forms. When the engine dies and the vacuum releases, the debris floats back up into the fuel tank and more fuel flows back into the fuel line. When you start it back up the debris goes back into the fuel line and you get the same process.
Hope this helps.

mdupre07

Threads
What about a sticking float in the carb bowl? Sounds like it uses up what's in the bowl, then the float sticks in the up position. A bumpy push to the garage may be enough to unstuck the float. Or there is debris in the bowl. Just my 2 cents.

first pull

Threads
On a kawasaki 48" walk behing mower engines. Runs fine for a few minutes then stalls.
Changed Gas filter, Air cleaners, and today installed new carb. No improvement.
Would aprediate any advice.
Coil

lbrac

Threads
Try running it with the fuel tank cap loosened to rule out the possibility that the vent isn't allowing air into the tank as the fuel level drops. If so, a vacuum forms in the tank and fuel flow into the carb bowl is gradually reduced until the engine stops. It is simple to test and costs nothing, unless it is causing the problem.

volt

Threads
Thanks for the responses. It is fixed. It was the 'Fuel shut off' Valve that was clogged. It is the one just below the Fuel tank. I removed it from tank, and when I blew into it I noticed it was not letting air pass. So I unclogged it, replaced it, and mower is running fine. I had replaced Carb, checked Gas cap, and Fuel Filter. Thanks again for the many responses. I came very close to having it taken in to have it serviced.

AE1

Forum Newbie
Threads
verify fuel flow to the carburetor, if you get debris in the tank or in some cases, if the tank vents through the cap, it will stop fuel flow after a short period.
I agree, I have a Ferris Pro S that acted the same way. Tried a bunch of things, finally blew back into the tank & it’s working like it did when it was new. Had to be tank fuel filter.
Great mower, poor design gas tank. Should have been 2 tanks, even if it didn’t look quit as fancy.
I purchased it for what it was capable of doing, not how it looked.