Mower sputtering with white smoke

fido14dido

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

First post and looking for some help. I have an older Poulan / Weed Eater push mower model No. HDC4QN20RA with a 4HP Briggs & Stratton Quattro 4HP engine. This thing is probably 10-15 years old and I have two small lawns which I use it for.

A couple of weeks ago, I ran this mower and it was spewing out white smoke thru the muffler so I finished my job and ordered and replaced the muffler, spark plug, blade and washed out the foam air filter hoping that would solve the issue. I did not hit any hard objects while mowing. After replacing these parts, I tried running the mower again and came back with the same issues. Here are the symptoms:

Starts up like a champ after 3 primes.

White smoke that isn't continuous. It blows out white, runs like its okay for a second, then sputters and blows out more white smoke. The engine does NOT outright shut off despite all this as I managed to finish up the small lawn. Sliding the RPM scale does not have any have any positive impact.

New muffler has black residue as did the old.

New spark plug has black residue. The old spark plug also had this but also had more of a gooey texture

Took off the motor cover and tried to spin the blade and the top that spins along with it (don't know the technical terms). It starts to rotate okay then gets stuck/jammed somewhere between a half to full turn. I can't make a full rotation on the blade without it stiffening up along the way. If I brake it and release, it starts to rotate again but will get stuck during the rotation again. (I don't know if its supposed to operate this way but might be worth mentioning)

Oil level is not overfilled but I have not replaced it recently.

I have always used unleaded gasoline and have not had a prior issue.

I tried a some google searches and didn't come back with any worthwhile results so hoping to get some help here. I'm sure the neighbors are getting annoyed by the smoke and I'm trying to save a few hundred bucks by not having to fork out for a new mower. TIA for the advice.

Last edited:

HSMC

Threads
Your motor is dying, your burning oil and a lot. Use it for now but it's going to die soon or have it fixed but it would be cheaper to buy a new one.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you check the oil level before you started it?
Could be gas getting into the oil.

fido14dido

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked it in a cold engine. Should it be after? Im going to change out the oil tonight or tomorrow to see if that helps at all.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me white smoke is an indication of water contaminated fuel. Black residue is an indication of one of two things. Oily black, burning oil, while dry black residue is rich mixture. Have you tried running with no air filter?

fido14dido

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I have tried running without the air filter and it still does the same thing. Think maybe I should try emptying out the fuel tank and replace with fresh gasoline? I guess there could be a chance that water got inside either from rain or my two rascals.

fido14dido

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's working fine now!

So I went back and changed the oil first then started it up. Same deal...white smoke and sputtering/surging. Not sure what the correct term is here. Anyways the oil looked pretty bad...kinda greyish and not sure if that is even normal.

Next step was to take apart the fuel tank and the carburetor. I cleaned out the carburetor with just wipe-downs and tapping out loose dirt. Didn't have any chems to clean it out with. There was quite a bit of dirt where the primer stores the fuel so I cleaned that out too. The carburetor gasket looked fine but the plastic cover came loose on one side. I didn't bother to replace it since it would take me a week just to get the part. Closed up the carburetor.

Then I emptied out the fuel tank. I noticed there was some debris when I cleaned it out but nothing major. Refilled it with new fuel.

I noticed the little springs above the fuel tank were covered with gunk so I cleaned them up too and seemed to give it more flexibility...who knows, but it looks cleaner.

I decided to check the spark plug and muffler once again and noticed that there was a decent amount of wet oil on the muffler threads. After seeing that again, I was thinking I just wasted a good hour+ trying to fix this thing. Pulled the spark plug out and nothing too out of the ordinary.

After a good few primes I pulled...and pulled and pulled...Crap! Nothing!!! Of course I forgot to put the spark plug cable back on! :thumbdown::confused2::thumbdown: Anyhow I plugged it back in and it started up first pull. Some white smoke ... then some more...but slowly subsided. Then I let it run for a few minutes and there was zero smoke and seems to be back to normal now.

Thank you all for the tips that saved me a good amount of replacement $. Hopefully this thread helps someone out later.:thumbsup:

Rachael

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: It's working fine now!

Hopefully this thread helps someone out later.:thumbsup:

Helped me so much I registered just to say 'thanks' for asking the question and thanks for everyone else's info and advice. THANKS!!