Mower slows down

rigoletto

Threads
OK, Bert, Im happy to know you agree with my direction on solving this mystery that I bet no one will hear about on CNN. So, we have a wishy washy loose belt #79, and I just double checked that the variable pulley lever #67, which I believe is the limiting factor as to how far the spring action can affect, meaning that lever is maxed out, no matter how strong the spring #66 is, if the lever "plate bottoms out, that is how far the variable pulley can push belt #79. Right?? The pulley is maxed out, despite how good/worn the spring is. A stronger spring/new spring will still be limited to the distance that plate #67 can travel to place the pulley closer to tighten belt #79.

If you concur with my convoluted logic I think a new belt should be ordered.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you do that pull all of the pivot plates off.
If I was a betting man I would bet that the hole in plate # 30 is flogged out oval.
They are supposed to be lubed regularly but no one ever does apart from better techs.
A can of white spay gears does about 1/2 a mower service to give you an idea of how much I use .
A very small amount of ovality can make a massive difference at the pulley and there are 3 so you can add the all together.
In reality they all should have a replacable bush in there.
Most times I build up the holes then recut them round with a Dremmel as getting those parts down here is usually 6 to 8 weeks as they have to come from the USA or Canada via the dealer via the local warehouse .
After than I weld up the anchor points for the springs as the spring has usually just about cut through them .
As litlle as 1/8" either end makes a difference.
I have seen some where the spring anchors on the frame cut a groove near 1" long

rigoletto

Threads
Big thanks, Bert. I got some homework for tomorrow!! I will let you know what happens!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try to get the mower up really high cause you need a bit of space.
I have truck stands so can get them up about 2' which makes thigs real easy , ok less difficult as you have space to swing spannars

rigoletto

Threads
Try to get the mower up really high cause you need a bit of space.
I have truck stands so can get them up about 2' which makes thigs real easy , ok less difficult as you have space to swing spannars

That is the only thing I cant do, Bert. Floor jack is it. So, I did remove battery, looked down there and as you know it is almost impossible to view that area. But I placed my fingers down there (a dangerous thing) and felt around as I moved the clutch pedal down.up, and that plate felt like it is OK, but no way to tel 100%. Heres an idea- I spend $9 or so, get a new belt on and see what happens. Cheap risk. Also, seems like every 2 years I have to buy a new belt here, which seems bad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not as good because you are working the full length of the mower you can always sling it up over tree branch , balcony rail etc .
If you have a pair of trucks you can have it straddle the tail gates or sit it on a pair of ramps.
All of these are after you remove the deck of course.
A "techie" test is to get the wheels off the ground set up your phone under the mower, turn the video on the film each of the pivots as you move the drive to se if any of them are flogged out.
While the springs & belts are connected you will not feel the play created from a flogged out hole.