Mower selection advice...

nomow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quality - Delivery - Price
MTD-Yardman is on the lighter side of quality: Delivery is good from multiple home supply outlets: Price is low in the category
Grasshopper is on the highest side of quality: Delivery is unpredictable because of dealership inventory costs and limits of local technical knowledge: Price is high .
I have used Grasshoppers to mow around trees and have become accustomed to "mulching" fallen limbs to the point of breaking blades without affecting belts or bearings. Experience has taught me that when you pay less you probably get less. MTD products function well but are produced with lighter materials and don't hold up well under Walnut trees that have dropped the fall crop of mower projectiles.
If the equipment is expected to last 2 or 10 years, cost and frequency of replacement or repair should be part of the decision making process

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey y'all I am a closet follower on here and get on here to try and fix issues I have had with my mowers in the past but only today signed in to ask a questions. I hope I have placed it in the right area. My buddy and I Used to mow grass in the summer to pay for school. We were lucky to just borrow the equipment from a friend of ours and had no overhead. The scholarships have run out and a friend and myself have been debating on whether or not this summer to work yards to pay for school once again. We go to a small college here in Georgia so costs are not too high and we have a second job as it is and do not to be making big money, just a supplement. What would yall suggest in the way of a zero turn mower that will hopefully find a good mix of low overhead and tuff enough quality? Perhaps and perfect mower suggestion with no financial barriers and then an economical suggestion. We will be doing small private yards in dense subdivisions. Thanks for the help gentlemen, I am eager to read the responses.

doverpigpen,
Even though subsequently you stated that you doidn't want to spend over $4,000 below is what I would buy if I were starting a lawn care business:
1)48" to 52" deck(not too big for small yards, but not too small for large yards)
2)Strictly purchase a Make/Model that is rated for Commercial usage(or at least has a X-years/XXX Hours "Commercial Warranty" that comes with it.
3)Either a Zero Turn or Stander mower for maneuverability and acres/hour performance.
4)Some Make/Model suggestions would be - 52" Gravely Pro-Turn 200 XDZ, 48" Hustler X-One, 48" Exmark X-Series LZX680KC486, 48" Toro Z Master(2000 or 3000 series), 52" Toro Grandstand, 48" Wright Stander X.
5)Expect to spend between $6,000 and $10,000 to get a mower the quality of the examples I age in #4.