Mower does not go into gears at all

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up a pic of the mower, so I know what you have.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is a certain style of MTD, then it may just be a simple belt/pulley issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
your mower could have one of several different kinda of transmissions so we really need a bit of help here
For for starters does it have a 6,5,4,3,2,1,N,R shift ?
or
A 1,2,3,4,5, 6 on one stick and F-N-R on another ?

Some pictures would be really helpful
There should be a sticker under the seat with a model number similar to this if it is a ride on from 1998
It should look like 13am667f123
If it was 1993 to 1997 then the model number looks like this 137m 667 f 123

What it can not be is just 667

As for "not go into gears"
does the shifter move as per normal but nothing happens or dose the shifter not move at all ?

rigoletto

Threads
Turned out it didnt rain today like predicted, so I dragged (pushed) the mower out of the wood shed onto the driveway, and jacked it up to inspect like Fish said, so I started it up with rear wheels off the ground, and this time it went both forward and reverse!! Sheesh! Coundnt it do that in the wood shed??!!

Anyway, Im suspect this will happen again, so I am providing the complete model # under seat: 13A4 667 F118. Im bad with pictures, people. I actually did not take it on the grass to mow yet- waiting for early eve. Will report back to you here with result!! Oh- the transmission is the 1st one Fish posted in post #7, not the 2nd one. Wish me luck, people.

rigoletto

Threads
your mower could have one of several different kinda of transmissions so we really need a bit of help here
For for starters does it have a 6,5,4,3,2,1,N,R shift ?
or
A 1,2,3,4,5, 6 on one stick and F-N-R on another ?

Some pictures would be really helpful
There should be a sticker under the seat with a model number similar to this if it is a ride on from 1998
It should look like 13am667f123
If it was 1993 to 1997 then the model number looks like this 137m 667 f 123

What it can not be is just 667

As for "not go into gears"
does the shifter move as per normal but nothing happens or dose the shifter not move at all ?

For the record, Bert, and will be good to know, the shifter does move to the reverse ANd forward, but did not result in any movement at all when the mower was in the wood shed. And it has #'s as follows: 1,2,3,4,5,6 on speed for travel, and stick shift is F-N-R (F is farthest to left side).

Thanks, people.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK, now we at least know roughly what you have.
Is the forward/reverse lever between your legs?
If so, remove the 2 screws on that cover and unscrew the knob. There will be a wire that needs to be unplugged, do that, and wrap it in tape to insulate it and tape it out of the way.
Now get on the mower and start it and put it in forward.
Pull the lever/selector back to park while watching the double pulley and belts.
Then move the lever to one without depressing the pedal, and see if the double pulley starts to move.

Of course, if the double pulley only has one belt on it, well.......

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a pic of a real old cover I found online.
old.jpgold.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Scratch that, I scrolled back and read some of your posts that I missed.
The double pulley has a center sheave that moves up and down for the different speeds, and may get stuck when sitting a while, so it likely won't give you any more trouble for a while. I have squirted a little lube on the sheave center in the past, but one must be carefull spraying lube on a belt pulley. It will cook off, but you don't normally lube a pulley.double.jpg

rigoletto

Threads
OK, now we at least know roughly what you have.
Is the forward/reverse lever between your legs?
If so, remove the 2 screws on that cover and unscrew the knob. There will be a wire that needs to be unplugged, do that, and wrap it in tape to insulate it and tape it out of the way.
Now get on the mower and start it and put it in forward.
Pull the lever/selector back to park while watching the double pulley and belts.
Then move the lever to one without depressing the pedal, and see if the double pulley starts to move.

Of course, if the double pulley only has one belt on it, well.......

Yes, F/Rev lever is between legs. let me try what you said now........

OOps, Ok, scratch that.....LOL! I just found out (like you) that you posted more info. Good to know about the stuck pulley. I think you figured edit out, Fish. Stuck / lazy pulley. Hey, let me cut and I'll see, then let you know. I know its an old mower, but I aint throwing it out, its too much fun to fix.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it your first mow of the year? They tend to get sticky over winter, but are fine after they get going. That double pulley is your "gears'.