mower deck up......or down?

bullet bob

Threads
I bought a used gravely hd zt 60 last fall with 100 hrs. I've put Oregon mulching blades on as I've always liked mulching blades. I mow a whopping 1 acre but my old Cub GT had a stripping kit on it and always liked that nice wide-cut look. My question is, I've got the deck sitting ~ 1/4" higher in the front. Understand the dealers like to set them with the front slightly lower than the back. I DO understand their logic. So, does it really matter? I'm looking for the best cut & stripe I can possible get. Older guy, retired so I'm not in a hurry when I mow. Thanks all.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don’t know about your area, but around here we always set the BACK of the deck 1/4” higher than the front. This has been the manufacturer recommended way for as long as I can remember.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are mulching then healing the deck, ( back lower ) will give you a better cut.
If you are throwing then a normal attack angle ( front down ) will throw the grass further & help bag.

Heeled decks are more prone to getting hung up on obstacles like tree roots and stumps .

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
With the front down you're cutting the grass once, with the front up you're cutting the grass twice more or less. Might try it both ways and see what you like best, if there is any difference in looks.

bullet bob

Threads
If you are mulching then healing the deck, ( back higher ) will give you a better cut.
If you are throwing then a normal attack angle ( front down ) will throw the grass further & help bag.

Heeled decks are more prone to getting hung up on obstacles like tree roots and stumps .
Not trying to be a smart-a$$ but aren't these the same position?
I mulch, chute up, and I mow high, ~ 4.5". Fertilize the lawn. Never bag........

Bob E

Threads
Having the front of the deck higher puts more strain on the engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thank you
previous post now corrected
Pointing out errors is never being a SA it is important that what is on the web is as accurate as we can make it.
Totally agree that we need to be giving accurate and correct info as possible. Some those U-Tube just plain wrong in my opinion. If happen to post something that is wrong I would highly appreciate being corrected myself. I might have to think as to why I am wrong but I know techs that are highly insulted if someone corrects them.

Personally I learn new things and new ways of doing things every day, that's part of life. Something like how to use the leak down test to test an OHV engine complete cylinder stroke instead of just at TDC which I learned last Summer.

bullet bob

Threads
Having the front of the deck higher puts more strain on the engine.
Understand the concept. So far, Kohler 7000 shows no strain between idling & mowing. I'm just looking for cleanest cut I can get, maybe a 'lil stripe for good measure.

shona13

Forum Newbie
Threads
My opinion, If you want it to look it,s best set the mower as the manufacturer suggests ,that is generally front down ,then you say time is not an issue, I would either pull a lawn roller as you mow or go over the area again ,pulling the roller.
Stay Safe from down under.