Mower buyers, take heed !!!

txzrider

Threads
Mr Mackie... I read this a little differently.
"Identical engines were labeled with different horsepower ratings, misleading consumers into believing they were getting more power by purchasing more expensive models, according to one of the lawsuits."

to have the same engine labeled differently and have the purchase price adjusted upwards to me should be considered fraud.

"Sometimes, the same engine was advertised as having different horsepower ratings depending on how it was sold."

I also had recieved a letter, I was never unhappy with the power of any of my briggs engines so I ignored it. What I would question here is... was this a briggs issue or the mower manufacturer issue? It would seem that the individual manufacturers, snapper, toro, mtd, etc... would have had to been part of this and therefore should have shared part of the blame. I mean really how much due diligence would it have taken to see that 2 diff briggs engines had the exact same parts list?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The air intake, exhaust, different accessories and end item manufacturer affect the HP of an engine which is determined at the blade.
Having been in the equipment servicing business (bicycles to jet aircraft) since the 50s, I have seen the lawyers do their thing increasingly as time has passed. Their greed and selfishness is expressed in "consumer protectionism". They have developed a pattern whereby their profits are maximized and their "protection of the consumer" has been minimized to the extent that protecting the consumer is a phrase that they use as a joke meaning that their profits are "looking good" when putting together a case.
I have been in the yacht and aircraft servicing business and I have dealt with folks with above the average means.

txzrider

Threads
by the way I agree with everything said about lawyers...