motor froze

jerry1967

Threads
I have a troy bilt tractor pony, and the motor is froze. Is it a hard job to to change the engine or try or take it apart to fix?

FloGro

Threads
Frozen how, have you tryed taking the spark plug out and cranking it over by grabbing and turning the fly wheel also check the oil and see how that looks, you'd be suprised at the things marvel mystery oil can do for a frozen cylinder

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but for some reason I can't resist this morning.

I know that the term "motor" is commonly used to refer to an internal combustion "engine", but the two should not be interchangeable terms.

Even NASCAR refers to "engines" as "motors" :frown:.

An "engine" is internal combustion or piston and a "motor" is electric driven.

NOW - if your engine will not turn over, have you tried turning it by hand with either pull cord or by physically moving the flywheel ?

If nothing will turn - you could try taking out the spark plug and putting a good penetrating oil in the cylinder and let it sit for a day or two. The penetrating oil may free up the cylinder.

We like to follow these things - so if you do get it turning over - let us know.

jerry1967

Threads
Frozen how, have you tryed taking the spark plug out and cranking it over by grabbing and turning the fly wheel also check the oil and see how that looks, you'd be suprised at the things marvel mystery oil can do for a frozen cylinder

Thank you for the reply. Let me explain that I when I changed the oil I forgot to put oil in and ran it for about 2 minutes with no oil. I heard a big band and the the tractor motor stopped and that is when I realized that the engine is froze.I got down under the tractor and I can turn the fly wheel about 1/3 of a turn back and forth but that is it.

jerry1967

Threads
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but for some reason I can't resist this morning.

I know that the term "motor" is commonly used to refer to an internal combustion "engine", but the two should not be interchangeable terms.

Even NASCAR refers to "engines" as "motors" :frown:.

An "engine" is internal combustion or piston and a "motor" is electric driven.

NOW - if your engine will not turn over, have you tried turning it by hand with either pull cord or by physically moving the flywheel ?

If nothing will turn - you could try taking out the spark plug and putting a good penetrating oil in the cylinder and let it sit for a day or two. The penetrating oil may free up the cylinder.

We like to follow these things - so if you do get it turning over - let us know.

/COLOR]

Ok you are saying spray the penetrating oil where the spark plug goes? me.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it ran without oil and you heard a big bang ----- the engine is probably toast and will need major work.

Oil is in there for a reason.

Removing the spark plug gives you access to the cylinder and you can get penetrating oil in, but if it seized while running with no oil it will probably need to go to a good mechanic.

Good Luck !

Yes, if it was seized from just sitting too long, spraying penetrating oil into the top of the cylinder thru the spark plug hole might free it up.

jerry1967

Threads
If it ran without oil and you heard a big bang ----- the engine is probably toast and will need major work.

Oil is in there for a reason.

Removing the spark plug gives you access to the cylinder and you can get penetrating oil in, but if it seized while running with no oil it will probably need to go to a good mechanic.

Good Luck !

Even if I ran it for that sort of a time it will cause it to freeze up?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It does not take long for an engine to heat up with no oil in it.

The big bang and turning just a little might indicate a broken cylinder or other parts broken when it seized up.

Sorry for the bad news, but most likely it is in need of major work.

jerry1967

Threads
It does not take long for an engine to heat up with no oil in it.

The big bang and turning just a little might indicate a broken cylinder or other parts broken when it seized up.

Sorry for the bad news, but most likely it is in need of major work.

Is it possible to just buy a used engine someplace or is it cheaper to just buy a new one?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is possible to do both - I personally like new since you don't know how the used one was treated.

There are new engines available on the internet cheaper than a dealer.

If you want to install it yourself - that is fine.

There are others here that may have better suggestions.