Export thread

Morning mowing

X-man

X-man

One of my favorite things to do. Mow the storage area in my trailer park at 9 in the morning while drinking coffee and listening to Mark Levin. In a way I find that relaxing.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I love morning mowing, too! Except I start at 7:30. I like the weather at that time of day, but it's not as relaxing when you use a push mower. :rolleyes:

metz12

metz12

I love morning mowing, too! Except I start at 7:30. I like the weather at that time of day, but it's not as relaxing when you use a push mower. :rolleyes:

i think you should try to make a mower with a tight turning radius so you can have a trailer to haul all of your stuff around!

X-man

X-man

I would be more than happy to mow at 7:00 AM if the trailer park allowed it. :tongue:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I would be more than happy to mow at 7:00 AM if the trailer park allowed it. :tongue:

Yeah I just assume it's OK since I see other pros at that time and a lot of people go to work. I've been doing it for 2 years.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

i think you should try to make a mower with a tight turning radius so you can have a trailer to haul all of your stuff around!

Yeah! As cheap and good at hauling as a lawn tractor, but with the maneuverability of a zero-turn! :licking:

metz12

metz12

Yeah I just assume it's OK since I see other pros at that time and a lot of people go to work. I've been doing it for 2 years.

ive gotten the police called on me for cutting wood before 9:00. my buddy and i were out at 7:30 and there was a snow storm coming and the lady called me the night before and she hadnt done any wood! she heats her house on just wood too. we had to wait until 9 to start because running a chainsaw at that time is disturbing the piece. him and i cut a chord of wood with the saw and split a chord of wood in one day (so a chord a piece and we split that wood with a maul not a splitter) luckily she had all the logs piled up nice when she got land cleared in that back. all seasoned so it split nice:thumbsup:

X-man

X-man

ive gotten the police called on me for cutting wood before 9:00. my buddy and i were out at 7:30 and there was a snow storm coming and the lady called me the night before and she hadnt done any wood! she heats her house on just wood too. we had to wait until 9 to start because running a chainsaw at that time is disturbing the piece. him and i cut a chord of wood with the saw and split a chord of wood in one day (so a chord a piece and we split that wood with a maul not a splitter) luckily she had all the logs piled up nice when she got land cleared in that back. all seasoned so it split nice:thumbsup:

I think the city ordinance here is 8 AM.

M

mowerman05

Its a little tough to drink coffee on a ztr and mow at the same time.:confused2:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Its a little tough to drink coffee on a ztr and mow at the same time.:confused2:

Unless you have a Walker. :thumbsup: One handed steering.

walker mower 2.jpg

Ric

Ric

16896-morning-mowing-walker-mower-2-jpg

Since when is a walker mower one handed steering??

X-man

X-man

View attachment 16896

Does it have a cup holder?

I wish my Craftsman did.

Ric

Ric

I wish my Craftsman did.

Don't know if the walker has a cup holder or not but my Z-Force does :thumbsup:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Since when is a walker mower one handed steering??

See? One hand on the small lap bars. But you put your other hand on some other control...but don't know if you have to.

walker mower in action.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

You put your right hand on the forward speed control lever. But you don't need to hold it in position (see 2:00 in the following video). So you can do one-handed operation! :cool2:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I wish my Craftsman did.

No it does not. :frown:

Ric

Ric

I know how a walker mower works I also know it has dual lap bars just like any other ztr. I also know I can drive or do the same thing with either my GS or Z-force that doesn't mean it a one handed drive system and guess what you won't drive that walker the way there showing you when it actually comes down to mowing at normal speeds. I've seen to many people use them. It's an independent wheel steering with a speed control just like my Grandstand.

C

CZLawnCare

I have a walker, you use your left hand to control the steering and your right hand is just a speed control for your forward speed

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I have a walker, you use your left hand to control the steering and your right hand is just a speed control for your forward speed

Thank You! :smile:

X-man

X-man

No cup holder? No thanks! :tongue:

metz12

metz12

you could just make one, find a cup or something that is big and drill a hole in the tractor and bolt the cup to the tractor.

Ric

Ric

you could just make one, find a cup or something that is big and drill a hole in the tractor and bolt the cup to the tractor.

:laughing: When I wanted a cup holder I went to the bicycle shop and got a bottle holder and and a bottle, just mounted the holder where there were already holes, you can buy like 24oz bottles they work great. Personally I like my cooler at the truck full of ice and drinks.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

You would think an $8000 mower would have one! :confused3:

Ric

Ric

Yes I know how they operate but it doesn't change the fact that It's an independent wheel steering with a speed control just like my Grandstand or any other ZTR, how one chooses to use it is up to individual preference.

metz12

metz12

for 8grand it should pour water in your mouth while your mowing on autopilot.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

for 8grand it should pour water in your mouth while your mowing on autopilot.

:laughing::laughing:

C

CZLawnCare

You guys are complaining about 8 grand? In canada theyre 15.5 grand, and ric ive driven the grandstand the two steereing handles dont even make up for half of one of the grandstand handles.

Ric

Ric

You guys are complaining about 8 grand? In Canada they're 15.5 grand, and Ric I've driven the grandstand the two steering handles don't even make up for half of one of the grandstand handles.

Yeah that may be true about the handle size but I can steer the GS the same way. Regardless of size if you choose to use one or two hands on the bars for steering you can, both units independent wheel steering are they not? Like I said it's individual preference. To my knowledge the only mower you steer with one hand and I'm not really sure of it because I've never seen one other than videos would be the Country Clipper with the Joy stick.

exotion

exotion

Go to wal mart... get a small wedge in style cup holder drill wood screw thru cup holder and then into a good spot on mower..... price 2 dollars...

C

CZLawnCare

I agree that you can steer the gs with one hand i do it all the time to use the backpack blower to blow off sidewalks when i do shopping centres

metz12

metz12

You guys are complaining about 8 grand? In canada theyre 15.5 grand, and ric ive driven the grandstand the two steereing handles dont even make up for half of one of the grandstand handles.

yeah im complaining about 8 grand because thats 4 times as much as i paid for my jeep.

Ric

Ric

yeah I'm complaining about 8 grand because that's 4 times as much as i paid for my jeep.

Yeah but 8 K for a mower isn't a bad price. I've seen ZTR's on the showroom floor going for 14K. I know 8K is a sizable amount of money and not everyone needs to spend that much money on a mower but it can get you into a real good quality Commercial mower.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

Run a dixie chopper it's only $12k and you get a cooler. Seriously though I've never had any luck with a cup holder on my mowers except to hold a squeeze bottle with 2-4-D to spot spray broad leaf while mowing. Unless i was driving around a neighborhood on perfectly smooth roads I'd be spilling my beer with all the bouncing around in yards. Walker mowers are just weird i drove one around at the GIE last year and just didn't get why anyone doing 8-9 yards a day would one. Unless you had a 1/2 acre yard you just had to vacuum every week.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Here's a link to a "no spill" cup holder. I had several similar to this mounted on my first fiberglass boat. I kept them when I sold the boat and mounted one on my first lawn tractor. They work great!!!!

No Spill Drink Holders : Cabela's

metz12

metz12

Here's a link to a "no spill" cup holder. I had several similar to this mounted on my first fiberglass boat. I kept them when I sold the boat and mounted one on my first lawn tractor. They work great!!!!

No Spill Drink Holders : Cabela's

hey thats cool! i'm going to make one out of wood in the near future, just because i want to and i like projects like that. im going to try to copy that design

djdicetn

djdicetn

hey thats cool! i'm going to make one out of wood in the near future, just because i want to and i like projects like that. im going to try to copy that design

The trick to the design is to have the holder pivot one direction at the mounting plate and the other direction and the holder(therefore you get a "balanced" swing due to the weight of what is in the holder). Seems like I bought mine at Bass Pro Shop or West Marine 10 years ago and they were "much cheaper"(like about $8-$10 each).

Ric

Ric

The trick to the design is to have the holder pivot one direction at the mounting plate and the other direction and the holder(therefore you get a "balanced" swing due to the weight of what is in the holder). Seems like I bought mine at Bass Pro Shop or West Marine 10 years ago and they were "much cheaper"(like about $8-$10 each).

Ya know this cup holder thing and Lawn mowers is funny. I can tell you it don't work to carry Coke in one, that crap is sticky when you get it all over you I Know :laughing:

C

CZLawnCare

And it goes flat in a couple of seconds lol

S

sgmgarden

I know the majority of people in Scotland like to cut their grass in the morning! I like it on a sunday morning when the sunshine is out :laughing:

X-man

X-man

Ya know this cup holder thing and Lawn mowers is funny. I can tell you it don't work to carry Coke in one, that crap is sticky when you get it all over you I Know :laughing:

aww, man. I really hate it when I spill crap all over the mower. :laughing:

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I usually start at about 7 : 00 am, but some want me to start at 8 : 00 am. During the weekend I start at 8 or 9 otherwise I get hated by the others and Sundays are jsut a no go. I always have an idiot crying and complaning because I start at 8 or 9.

I can't have cup holders cause I dont own a ZTR:frown: I just leave some water bottles in my truck and they got hot.

L

LoCo86

Lawnboy 18, how many yards do you cut in one day by starting so early? Just curious.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy 18, how many yards do you cut in one day by starting so early? Just curious.

If I am with my employee, I can cut about 15 lawns and finish at 2:00 Pm. Don't forget I have to drive all over town in between lawn cuts, but most places where I stop I have 2 or more to cut in the same neighborhood Then, I go mow 2 or 3 more alone that are far away.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

If I am with my employee, I can cut about 15 lawns and finish at 2:00 Pm. Don't forget I have to drive all over town in between lawn cuts, but most places where I stop I have 2 or more to cut in the same neighborhood Then, I go mow 2 or 3 more alone that are far away.

How large are the yards you do?

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

How large are the yards you do?

Each yard takes about 18-20 minutes to do.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Each yard takes about 18-20 minutes to do.

Yeah, that's small compared to mine. A push mower is good for those yards.....the pros have ZTR's for the size I do with my push mower.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Yeah, that's small compared to mine. A push mower is good for those yards.....the pros have ZTR's for the size I do with my push mower.

Well, when I am alone, it takes about 25-45 minutes depending on the yard and having a ZTR would be useless, because there are fences in almost each yards and yes they are rather small.

You would need a ZTR or atleast a 30".

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Well, when I am alone, it takes about 25-45 minutes depending on the yard and having a ZTR would be useless, because there are fences in almost each yards and yes they are rather small.

Yes I know! From start to finish lawns take around 45-60 mins.

X-man

X-man

Weed whacking and push mowing takes me 20 minutes per yard, 35 minutes if I'm alone on a double wide trailer.

And that's including hauling away the grass clippings to the compost pile on my lawn tractor.

exotion

exotion

Yes I know! From start to finish lawns take around 45-60 mins.

Alone I can mow lawns anywhere from 20 mins to 40mins residential most the time I can do 2 houses an hr

X-man

X-man

Alone I can mow lawns anywhere from 20 mins to 40mins residential most the time I can do 2 houses an hr

I can do 2-3 houses per hour. Hauling *** I can push about 4.

exotion

exotion

I can do 2-3 houses per hour. Hauling *** I can push about 4.

Weedeating, edging, mowing, and blowing?

X-man

X-man

Weedeating, edging, mowing, and blowing?

String trimming first, then mowing. I bag my grass and haul it away.

X-man

X-man

Hmm...

To answer the question on one of the "Hot Topics" in September's newsletter :tongue: :

I believe 8 AM is early enough during the week and 10 AM on Sundays. I can understand why someone would be confronting me if I was cutting grass at 7 in the morning.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hmm...

To answer the question on one of the "Hot Topics" in September's newsletter :tongue: :

I believe 8 AM is early enough during the week and 10 AM on Sundays. I can understand why someone would be confronting me if I was cutting grass at 7 in the morning.

I don't even like mowing anytime in the morning on Sundays. Saturdays is around 9:30, and weekdays when I have a lot to do I start at 7:30 because that is when most people leave for work. When I'm going to my first lawn around 7:30, I always see lots of cars heading out of the neighborhood to go to work, and I am going deeper INTO the neighborhood to work! :tongue:

X-man

X-man

I don't even like mowing anytime in the morning on Sundays. Saturdays is around 9:30, and weekdays when I have a lot to do I start at 7:30 because that is when most people leave for work. When I'm going to my first lawn around 7:30, I always see lots of cars heading out of the neighborhood to go to work, and I am going deeper INTO the neighborhood to work! :tongue:

Like I said before. One of the disadvantages of working in a trailer park is that you can't start until 9 because the trailers there are packed like sardines.

When I mow the storage area, I try to start at 8:30 in the morning, since it's a distance away from the trailers.