model number for lowes mtd

dwint

Threads
my friend just bought a used lowes mtd 42 inch 14.5 briggs motor.the serial number is gone and was wondering if someone could help me figure what year or close to the year so I can buy a deck belt.i don't know how many years they made the lowes mtd but it is a 7 speed .is there a model number anywhere besides under the seat.

dwint

Threads
my friend just bought a used lowes mtd 42 inch 14.5 briggs motor.the serial number is gone and was wondering if someone could help me figure what year or close to the year so I can buy a deck belt.i don't know how many years they made the lowes mtd but it is a 7 speed .is there a model number anywhere besides under the seat.

just found out this is a 1993 would anyone know the deck belt number I would need

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have the old belt?
You can use a aftermarket belt on the deck.
But have to use OEM on the drive belts.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

dwint

Threads
yes he has the old belt but you never know if they have the right one on there.when you disengage the blades they stillspin alittle so the belt is either alittle small or the idle pulley isn't going over enough.the belt is cracked and needs to be replaced any way

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
yes he has the old belt but you never know if they have the right one on there.when you disengage the blades they stillspin alittle so the belt is either alittle small or the idle pulley isn't going over enough.the belt is cracked and needs to be replaced any way

The deck should have a blade break.
That pushes on the pulleys when you disengage the pto.
If it has not been used in awhile the pulleys could have some rust or pits that grab the belt.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
image-2113351646.jpg

BRubble

Threads

Like Carscw said, at least on my '88 Lowe's MTD, when the deck is raised, the top of the Blade Spindle Pulley's contact the brake pad's which bring the Blade's to a stop, until the deck is lowered again,, and then they start to rotate again.

You really need to try and find out the Model # if you can. If it were me,, I'd try contacting MTD, and see if they can help. If the mower was ever painted,, they may have painted over the Serial # Decal, under the seat. The previous owner may possibly still have the owners manual. Outside chance,, but never know.

The MTD belt's on mine last a long time,, so it might still have an MTD belt on it. At any rate,, the brake's mounted on the chassis stop's the blade's,, not the belt.

May even still be able to get an owner's manual for it from MTD. I've still got the owner's manual for the '88 MTD/Lowe's.

Good Luck