model 10546 gold edition it will start when you prime it but dies right away

Bigwaynester

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / model 10546 gold edition it will start when you prime it but dies right away
serial# 7901784 you have to keep hitting the prime button before it dies after several times of hitting the prime bulb it will stay running. I've had the carb apart a few times, cleaned it well, used a compressor and blew out the lines in the carb. So far besides cleaning, i put on a new bulb and the 2 gaskets that goon either side of the carb plate.. I also cleaned the air filter. I was going to try new fuel next, this is my 90yr old uncles not sure how old the fuel is

bogdaN

Threads
  • / model 10546 gold edition it will start when you prime it but dies right away
Do that and problem will go away. Good luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you remove the main nozzle and jet when you did the carb cleaning. It is extremely difficult to clean all the openings with out removing first.

Bigwaynester

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did not remove it, I just blew air through it. im not sure how to remove it

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should unscrew.

Bigwaynester

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed main nozzle and jet, not dirty but thorough cleaned, fuel filter screen tore so ordered a new one. Float, needle and seat seem ok.I put it back together and it does the same. it won't start unless primed 5 times. then keep punching the primer until it runs on its own. The primer bulb goes back really slow, and it is new. ( maybe part off the problem?) also when hitting the primer the fuel squirts straight up, IDK if this is normal, fuel seems to be getting into the air filter ( maybe because hitting the primer 5 times? )

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Primer is acting as it should. From your description you have a lean starting condition. This is normally caused by one of two things. Either you have an air leak or the float level is set too low.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder if a crankshaft seal would cause this?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder if a crankshaft seal would cause this?
Yes it can. If there is a leak in the primary compression (crankcase) it can cause hard starting and poor running.

Bigwaynester

Forum Newbie
Threads
Primer is acting as it should. From your description you have a lean starting condition. This is normally caused by one of two things. Either you have an air leak or the float level is set too low.
Where would I check for air leaks? I replaced the gaskets between the carb and cylinder.