Missing high low adjustment screws - replace carb?

waylonJ

Threads
Hello, I am working on a Homelite leaf blower I got for cheap. I have identified that either the high or low carb adjustment screws is missing and it's causing it bog down when gas is given.

I looked around a bit and cant' find just the replacement screws. I really don't have any junk carbs to pull one from either. Have you guys seen small engine shops sell the adjustment screws? Also, I would assume the high and low screws are interchangeable, right?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First even they are the same thread they not the same most time. Now you know why you got it cheap...Needs a replacement carburetor expecially if it has a Ruixing carb.

waylonJ

Threads
First even they are the same thread they not the same most time. Now you know why you got it cheap...Needs a replacement carburetor expecially if it has a Ruixing carb.
Thanks for the quick reply! I don't fully follow your first sentence.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No they are different.
The Low needle is longer and has a different taper.

Adjustable needles are now illegal so you will not find one for sale
Since tier 3 came in most new products are fitted with rotary valve carbs so have no H & L needle .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you want help, then we need to know exactly which blower you have .
There are around 22,000 ( got that number off the web ) different cube carbs for engines under 100cc capacity.
I carry around 40 and still have to buy in a new carb around 1 in 7 times that I have to replace one.
The wholesale supplier has a $ 50 in order hence the large stock of complete carbs.
After that I keep around 100 different rebuild kits
Not uncommon for a product to be fitted with different carb every season

waylonJ

Threads
Okay, sounds like I just need a new carb. Thanks guys!

1saxman

Threads
I have thrown away a power head in great condition because of that damned little square carb. I recently thought I was going to have to do it again but my Ryobi came back to life after acting like it was fuel-starved. At $99 for a new one that I'll get 5 - 10 years out of, I won't spend that much or more to fix an old one with old clutch and other parts. I use synthetic oil, premium gas and Startron in it. I never have any trouble with any of my other OPE, just the trimmers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That's your choice but most cubes are repairable.

1saxman

Threads
I concluded it costs me $12-$15 a year to keep buying new ones when the old one craps out. I did discard the above Ryobi and picked up the new model which has a lot of improvements - like, it starts and idles! I gave the other one to my son who had no trimmer on a large, mostly-wooded lot. I said, 'Well now you have half a trimmer depending on if you can start it or not.' LOL

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No they are different.
The Low needle is longer and has a different taper.

Adjustable needles are now illegal so you will not find one for sale
Since tier 3 came in most new products are fitted with rotary valve carbs so have no H & L needle .
Even the rotary carbs usually have an idle mixture screw or at most that I have worked on does but I have ran across a couple that were permamently sealed with a ball bearing.