Export thread

mirrors

L

LandN

why dont they put side mounted rear view mirrors on lawn tractors,i have had several cases in the past where a rear view mirror whould have been benificial instead of spinning my head around to check where i been:smile:

JDgreen

JDgreen

why dont they put side mounted rear view mirrors on lawn tractors,i have had several cases in the past where a rear view mirror whould have been benificial instead of spinning my head around to check where i been:smile:

A freind of mine once mounted a car mirror on the frame of his CUT loader, it offered such a narrow field of view I never understood the purpose. I used to drive commercial straight trucks and side mirrors were necessary to see around the vehicle, but given my choice I would have preferred to turn and look instead. How could you mount such a mirror to a lawn tractor and not have it sticking out from the body? I think they make clip on mirror attachments for bike riders that attach to their glasses or a helmet, maybe those would work.

L

LandN

there you go,..design something for small lawn tractors. swivel /suction cup mount /light weight.... market it and make some money.

JDgreen

JDgreen

there you go,..design something for small lawn tractors. swivel /suction cup mount /light weight.... market it and make some money.

I'm retired, obviously have enough money to be that....if I had more my wife would just spend more...:laughing:

K

KennyV

I've got side mirrors on my mower and my tractor but they both have cabs so it's rather easy to do and VERY handy... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

JDgreen

I've got side mirrors on my mower and my tractor but they both have cabs so it's rather easy to do and VERY handy... :smile:KennyV

A cab makes it much easier, you have a secure mounting surface well out from the body. What kind do you use, round car mirrors, pickup swingout type, or commercial duty west coast type that big trucks have fitted? Nothing offers more vision than the last type, but they add a LOT OF WIDTH.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I've had this thought myself. It's a big problem for me when grading as you are contantly looking back and down, a real pain in the neck if you will.....HA:eek:
I could see where it would have to disconnect when mowing or for sure it would get snaped off by a tree limb or shrub.
If you could quickly disconnect it you could use a much bigger mirror. I think the mirror would have to large to be of good use.

twall

twall

Vibration seems like it'd be an issue, as well - wouldn't it blurry the vision?

A

abeja_reina_1989

That's a great idea. I think it should be added because it would make things a lot safer. I would hate to miss something that I could have seen if I didn't have to turn my head around.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I've had this thought myself. It's a big problem for me when grading as you are contantly looking back and down, a real pain in the neck if you will.....HA:eek:
I could see where it would have to disconnect when mowing or for sure it would get snaped off by a tree limb or shrub.
If you could quickly disconnect it you could use a much bigger mirror. I think the mirror would have to large to be of good use.

When I am using my rear blade to plow snow, it's a real pain in the neck to keep my head turned around going in reverse so much...but since the back blade is at ground level mirrors would have to be very tilted to get a view, and I do a lot of reversing near neighbors cars, travel trailers, decks, porches, etc. Backing up to a garage door that was down (even my own) would be a pretty costly mistake if you got even an inch too close.

K

KennyV

With cabbed tractors and mowers, they are usually standard equipment...
Large swing in style that will not be damaged if they get hit...
As to vibration there is enough weight and isolation on most cabs to reduce the vibs to non existent...
besides vibration would interfere with the tunes on the stereo ... :smile:KennyV

I have thought of supplementing the mirrors with a rear facing wide angle camera system with a nice display ...

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

With cabbed tractors and mowers, they are usually standard equipment...
Large swing in style that will not be damaged if they get hit...
As to vibration there is enough weight and isolation on most cabs to reduce the vibs to non existent...
besides vibration would interfere with the tunes on the stereo ... :smile:KennyV

Oh gee Kenny......you have a cab on your Kabota? Well why didn't you say so?:rolleyes:

K

KennyV

Oh gee Kenny......you have a cab on your Kabota? Well why didn't you say so?:rolleyes:

Had to get the cab... the AC would most likely not keep up in August without it.... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Had to get the cab... the AC would most likely not keep up in August without it.... :smile:KennyV

My air conditioner is a wide brimmed straw hat...thanks for asking:biggrin:. I'll be thinking of you in august.

K

KennyV

My air conditioner is a wide brimmed straw hat...thanks for asking:biggrin:. I'll be thinking of you in august.

Ouch... I remember August in Florida ... Brutal ...
I'll wear a jacket with the AC turned to high & think about the wide brimmed straw hat... I'd better mention mirrors, least this get too far from the OP title... :smile:KennyV

Sorry for the 'short' Hi jack... back to better rear vision devices.... :thumbsup:

BKBrown

BKBrown

GEE - the plowing & mowing stuff mounts up front on my toy ! :biggrin:

K

KennyV

GEE - the plowing & mowing stuff mounts up front on my toy ! :biggrin:

On my larger ZTR also ... But there have been times that a glance to the rear has been handy....
& with mirrors mounted in front of the doors it makes it handy...
Thou I do have to admit I have taken them off at times. :smile:KennyV

BKBrown

BKBrown

Yes, they would be nice sometimes - I guess it is good for this old body to actually turn around once in a while so I don't stiffen up ! :laughing:

I could mount them up front somewhere, but with articulating frame ---- ??? :rolleyes:

P

Pika

I wonder if the type they put on motorcycles would work for a lawn tractor? It seems like it would, if anything would! They mount to the handlebars of the bike, so if there is anywhere at all sticking out where the holder could be welded... :smile:

JDgreen

JDgreen

I wonder if the type they put on motorcycles would work for a lawn tractor? It seems like it would, if anything would! They mount to the handlebars of the bike, so if there is anywhere at all sticking out where the holder could be welded... :smile:

Had a pair of those I got at a thrift store for a dollar a pair, decided to donate them back as they fit nothing I had, not even my ATV.