Microwave oven repair

Twinkle

Threads
I'm not sure if a microwave can be classed as part of the 'white goods' we rely on but I have often heard that these are designed to last for a certain amount of time. There's got to be a decent job opportunity for the handy people out there. Where I live it takes months and a lot of cash to get a plumber to fix a dripping tap!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have often heard that these are designed to last for a certain amount of time.

Twinkle...
That is basically true... because of the variable load on the magnetron, as a result of the target object(s) in the cooking cavity, there is a wide swing in the load placed on the power supply and the reflected energy back into the magnetron.
A consumer grade microwave is not built with components that can take a LOT of hours of variable abuse...

A commercial model on the other hand is engineered to be much more robust and is very serviceable, and is often rebuilt.

BUT unfortunately you can not easily mow with either design... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those are 'anti tamper' security screw heads... a full set of all sizes is very inexpensive and readily available...
They actually do serve a good purpose as they do keep some 'just curious' folks from hurting themselves... but more important hurting others...
Pick up a set and life is a lot easier... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, was at Menards yesterday and found a set of Torx insert bits, Irwin brand, for only $6. THANKS for the information about them being available I have been buying carpenter and mechanics tools for 45 years but never knew about the Torx insert bits before. THANKS.

briggs

Threads

briggs

Threads
Over the decades more and more consumer grade equipment is NOT designed for 'DIY' service.
It has a per unit cost increase to make it so...
On consumer grade electronics, (especially things that cost little), The margin is so small that, at the manufactures level it is going to be a nonproductive product enhancement.

Overwhelmingly you will find small appliances replaced rather than repaired.

As to why anti tamper ... like I said it is more to keep the inept or devious individuals out... :smile:KennyV

yes this is so true ....But then there is guys like us that have to see whats inside and figure out whats wrong ...I have to know whats inside lol ..:confused2:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes this is so true ....But then there is guys like us that have to see whats inside and figure out whats wrong ...I have to know whats inside lol ..:confused2:

I've got a huge magnatron on a shelf in my garage. I have no idea why...but it's there. I took apart one of those huge machines a few years back to see if I could get it going. The maganatron looked so cool I could bring myself to chuck it. I think it still works.
The microwave I am using now is kept in service with a small c-clamp.
The door works a linkage that operates 2-3 microswtiches that won't allow the unit to come on with the door open and bring the light on inside and probably a few other things. Part of this linkage broke or came loose as you kind of have to slam those doors. I fixed it a few years back and just remebered it when I saw this thread.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 2
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 3

briggs

Threads
I've got a huge magnatron on a shelf in my garage. I have no idea why...but it's there. I took apart one of those huge machines a few years back to see if I could get it going. The maganatron looked so cool I could bring myself to chuck it. I think it still works.
The microwave I am using now is kept in service with a small c-clamp.
The door works a linkage that operates 2-3 microswtiches that won't allow the unit to come on with the door open and bring the light on inside and probably a few other things. Part of this linkage broke or came loose as you kind of have to slam those doors. I fixed it a few years back and just remebered it when I saw this thread.

lots of neat tings in there eh ..my old one was good for blowing the fuse and once one of the connectors came lose the new one no probs as of yet