Maintaining mower control cables

seattlepioneer

Threads
I seem to find lots of older equipment where the control cables are seized up, which seems to happen especially commonly when they aren't used much.

So how should cables be maintained? Is oiling them from time to time worthwhile?

Should the inner cable be pulled out, greased and replaced?

Can seized up cables be replaced with a generic variety, or is it usually important to get the manufacturer spec replacement?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I seem to find lots of older equipment where the control cables are seized up, which seems to happen especially commonly when they aren't used much.

So how should cables be maintained? Is oiling them from time to time worthwhile? Oil is fine or some people use fluid film also.

Should the inner cable be pulled out, greased and replaced? Most can't be disassembled

Can seized up cables be replaced with a generic variety, or is it usually important to get the manufacturer spec replacement?
Most are equipment specific and generic is not an option

See above additions to the quote

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I service mowers all cables get a few drops of Tri-Flow.
The only really problematic cable is the throttles on the HRC range .

No mower cables have removable inners AFAIK because they have a fixed bend or lug on the ends.
Grease is the wrong lubricant for bowden cables.

Simple cables I make myself from bulk rolls
More complex ones go off to my cablemaker, if I have all the bits like non standard ends & springs.
He does a better job & charges 1/3 the price.
Did 3 deck hanger cables on a rebadged Swisher , $ 147 from the Swisher distributor $ 45 from the cable factory + $ 20 postage .