LX 277 Hydraulic Fluid Leak

wfrpalm

Threads
My LX277 is leaking hydraulic fluid when thw tractor is running. I see the fluid dripping down the tank but I have not taken the body off to see where the fluid is actually coming from. Anybody have this happen to thier tractor? Any thoughts or ideas? I bought the tractor new and it has about 230 hours on it and it has been trouble free until now.

wfrpalm

Threads
Well I removed the tank expecting to find a hole or crack but everything looks good. When I went to loosen the hose clamp it was already loose for some reason so I am hoping that was the problem. Anybody know of a better type of clamp?

wfrpalm

Threads
I am no closer to figuring ths out anybody with an idea?

KrashnKraka

Threads
I am no closer to figuring ths out anybody with an idea?

maaaate,,, any chance of posting a pix so we (LMF) can get a dekko (look see)
at the engineering of the tank? May be able to suggest a mod then.

wfrpalm

Threads
Well I think I solved the mystery. The fan on top of the trans is missing all its blades and I assume the fluid is overheating and spilling out of the resevoir because of this. I do not know how the blades broke off and I have never found any. I will take a picture when I take the body off to replace the fan.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I removed the tank expecting to find a hole or crack but everything looks good. When I went to loosen the hose clamp it was already loose for some reason so I am hoping that was the problem. Anybody know of a better type of clamp?

What do you have for a clamp? Myself I like the spring clamps because they don't loosen up.

BBO

Threads
Well I think I solved the mystery. The fan on top of the trans is missing all its blades and I assume the fluid is overheating and spilling out of the reservoir because of this. I do not know how the blades broke off and I have never found any.

I have replaced this fan on several; they are not that expensive.
Be sure the wave washer is OK. I always replace this also.
You may need to check the power drive belt underneath that drives this pulley.
If it's all loose the drive pulley might be damaged.
Do you feel any vibration on your seat that goes away when you push the brake all the way down?

On edit I have never has one to leak fluid with this issue. Mine is a LX188 so it's slightly different.

wfrpalm

Threads
I have replaced this fan on several; they are not that expensive.
Be sure the wave washer is OK. I always replace this also.
You may need to check the power drive belt underneath that drives this pulley.
If it's all loose the drive pulley might be damaged.
Do you feel any vibration on your seat that goes away when you push the brake all the way down?

On edit I have never has one to leak fluid with this issue. Mine is a LX188 so it's slightly different.

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the fan and have used the tractor for about 3 hours with no problems. I think the fluid was overheating and coming out the top of the tank, it has stopped doing that. I found part of one blade when I took the body off, I wonder how they all broke off.

BBO

Threads
I replaced the fan and have used the tractor for about 3 hours with no problems. I think the fluid was overheating and coming out the top of the tank, it has stopped doing that. I found part of one blade when I took the body off, I wonder how they all broke off.

The reservoir is not supposed to be full to the top cold.
When the fluid gets hot the level will raise/expand some from normal operation.
The LX188 does not have a drain plug at all and JD does not intend for a homeowner to change the fluid.
I have changed mine, but I had to remove the transaxle and turn the thing upside down.
It takes forever for the cold oil to drain out.
If you ever try it, get the oil as hot as possible before you start the project.

Maybe you had a tad too much oil in there plus the fan issue...