LT3000 burning through coils

Baby Billy

Threads
Been having issues with my mower losing spark. I replaced the initial coil with a cheapo from Amazon. Ran it for about fifteen minutes and shut it down. Could not get it to fire up after that.

Eventually came around to replacing the coil again. With another cheapo from Amazon. Ran it for about fifteen minutes and shut it down. Could not get it to fire up after that. No spark.

Think it's just the cheapo parts? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve never had any luck with they cheap crap off fleabay. End up costing more in labor and the frustration of trying to return parts is not worth it, as I warranty my work. Use OEM unless you are a gambler who normally wins.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
make sure you are using the correct spark plug and gap the coil is designed for.

Baby Billy

Threads
Either that or you getting a voltage impulse from the ignition switch destroying the coils electronics.
I pulled it just to look and it had water inside. Would that be an issue?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the kill wire off the coil and run a test light between it and the battery negative terminal
Then go mow
If you see even the faintest glimmer of light then the wiring is at fault
If the coil stops making sparks the coil is at fault
Remember to space the coil 0.010" off the magnets
Lots of partssold on AmmoZone and evilpay are defective parts bought from the factory as scrap metal because they failed quality control then sold to cheapskates who think you get bargans on ebay or are just too lazy to shop anywhere other than Ammozone .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
water in any switch not designed for it is an issue. If not this problem, it will be another.

Baby Billy

Threads
I put a new ignition switch and a new OEM coil in. Ran it to operating temp a couple separate times, it ran good. Went to turn it over again and no spark.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
like others have said, check that you NEVER get voltage on the coil ground/kill wire

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or you could try installing a 1N5408-G diode with the anode connected to the coil's kill terminal and the cathode connected to the kill wire. This would block any positive voltage coming from the kill wire.