LT1050 Hydro Questions

kbowley

Threads
If you can't remove that tranny on a cub LT in an hour, you're doing something wrong. It is very easy.

kbowley

Threads
I am only referring to the removal, not the oil change and re-installation. More like three hours total. Didn't mean to offend. Sorry.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I am only referring to the removal, not the oil change and re-installation. More like three hours total. Didn't mean to offend. Sorry.
One of the problems is users see that someone can do the job in an hour and then they start demand us techs to do in that time. I had customer that saw where his engine repair could in 30 minutes when in fact it took over two hours to remove, repair, and reinstalled. He got so pushy that I only charged for the parts and proceeded to bar him from my shop.

I even offer to let do the work himself if he thought it could be done that quick. He refused even after I offered the use of my tools. Shaft drive Cub Cadet are not that repair friendly as you have to pull the engine just to get the shroud off to access the ignition wiring that mice had chewed up.

As for the rider transaxle yes most can done under three hours; sometimes as little as two hours depending the setup. Now take a JD Z925A where you got to drop the whole rear drive assembly out as there are at least two bolts you can't even get to unless you do. Takes all day just to replace one transaxle. And that is one heck of a heavy cast iron bracket they are bolted to.

kbowley

Threads
But, he has a cub cadet with a K46...so...the point?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
But, he has a cub cadet with a K46...so...the point?
Thank you for clarification on time of TOTAL job. Star Tech was telling a short story about how difficult some of these “quick and easy” jobs can be. That was the point.

lbrac

Threads
If you can do all that in only an hour, I will send all my customers with this issue to you. One thing that has always bothered me in life, is when people say, “it will only take ten minutes.” When in reality, we all know it will take more like an hour, for example.
I worked as an industrial maintenance manager for years. When equipment failure caused production stoppage (most often from operator error), production personnel wanted to know how long to get it operational. I would estimate how long I thought it should take and then tell them double that time. If it took less time, they were happy; if it took a little longer than I told them, they were OK because they expected it to take that long. There is always something unexpected that only shows itself when you get up to your elbows in oil, grease and dirt.

davis2

Threads
I worked as an industrial maintenance manager for years. When equipment failure caused production stoppage (most often from operator error), production personnel wanted to know how long to get it operational. I would estimate how long I thought it should take and then tell them double that time. If it took less time, they were happy; if it took a little longer than I told them, they were OK because they expected it to take that long. There is always something unexpected that only shows itself when you get up to your elbows in oil, grease and dirt.
That's the part some people just can't seem to understand... I worked in feed mills and frequently helped the maintenance guy. The management was a PITA when you are 125' up and having to answer stupid questions.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And some questions are really beyond stupid too. Like why you have the safety lockouts in place.

davis2

Threads
And some questions are really beyond stupid too. Like why you have the safety lockouts in place.
Exactly. But lockout/tag out isn't foolproof. I was the victim of that... We never accounted for a material hang up in the fill pipe in a midds bin... It dislodged and hit me in the head.. Never saw it coming.