Lt1000 transmission stuck

slydog39

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Lt1000 tractor will not shift ( 917-272670) It is stuck in one gear and I cannot get it to shift, either with the engine running, or not. It has the regular gear transmission--not a hydro. I am guessing that there is a rust issue. The tractor was briefly (1 hour) submerged last year when we had a flash flood in our neighborhood. I was able to get all the water out of the engine and get it running well again last year immediately after it happened, but did not consider anything with the transmission. it ran and cut fine, but I did notice hard shifting at the end of the season.

I have tried spraying all the exterior components of the transmission--the input shaft and input shift lever shaft with WD40 to see if it would help break something loose. No improvement.

Also, my brakes barely work.

Any ideas or suggestions? Is it worth trying to take the transmission out and open it up? Is there another possibility I am overlooking?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a Dana transmission part number D4360-140 in your unit. This transmission has a problem with water in the unit freezing up the shifter and gears. They can be repaired reasonably if you are mechanically inclined. You will have to open it up and remove all the old grease, disassemble and clean the parts, reassemble with new lube. Replacement parts are available if you need them. I would replace the shift keys even if they look good. If you attempt to do this, a few things I need to remind you of. 1. It is going to be extremely messy. 2. You will need a good parts breakdown. 3. Take lots of pictures and write notes how things came apart. Flipping some parts 180 degrees can cause you problems. 4. Many internal parts are very sharp, you will cut yourself. 5. Plan for a minimum of 3 hours just to disassemble and clean internal parts. I would not attempt to do this unless you feel you have the ability and time to complete and are willing to spend money if things don't go right. Having a second set of eyes would also be helpful. Just my opinion, which many on this forum feel isn't worth a darn, as I am just a grease monkey and not a professional mechanic.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
As usual Rivets has you spot on with what is needed, and how to proceed... Take pictures and get greasy.It is a very doable repair. :smile:KennyV

Threads
As usual Rivets has you spot on with what is needed, and how to proceed... Take pictures and get greasy.It is a very doable repair. :smile:KennyV

Yep....:thumbsup:

Band-aid Kid

Threads
Yep, What they said. I would also advise on having plenty of bench space so as to keep everything laid out in order. Good Luck. :thumbsup: