LT1000 917.272061 deck "rebuild" belt too tight.

joea99

Threads
Thanks for all the replies. One vendor got back to me and stated, more or less, "you can use it, 95.5 is only what LT1000 says, use it and it will work fine in a little while".

Uh, no, not what I consider a good reply. Guess my only options are to try other brands or pony up for an OEM branded one. But the vendors selling those have not responded to my requests for "as measured length".

joea99

Threads
They can be the stated length plus or minus an inch and a half. As per industry standards.
Who set that standard? Seems pretty gross difference to me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Who set that standard? Seems pretty gross difference to me.
Especially for shorter belts. And MTD mowers with CVT motion drive is it critical to have the correct spec'd belts. 1/4" on a 35" belt is a lot; not so much on a 100+ inch belt.

And a will fit belt just will not last even if it works. I just went through that very problem with a belt that was supposed to be 141" which turned out to be 139". It didn't make it thru one cutting. That belt overheated from being too tight and disintegrated.

What worst it was a JD belt and they would not make it up so I purchase a 141" belt from PIX that actually measured 141". No further problems. But that customer is also barred from my place for how he showed his backside about the problem. Not going to have customer chewing me out for problems that I have very little control over.

Lesson learned and that is to measure even the OEM belts before installation.

Cusser

Threads
New thread on old topic.
Replaced brake arms, pivot plate, clutch cable on the deck. I'm pretty sure I got the stationary idler pulley on correctly

Put on a new belt as well. Advertised to be 95.5 inches. p/n 144959 is marked on it.

Started engine and the blades turn furiously with the clutch disengaged. Turned engine off.

Clutch lever does actuate the clutch idler properly and there is slack in the belt with it disengaged. Just not enough.

Attempted to adjust the "arc" of the stationary idler and it does change the tension on the pulley but only gets tighter. Red arrow points to the idler.

My only thoughts are I installed in incorrectly, or this new belt is actually too short. Too late in the day to hunt up another or dig into it any more today.

Suggestions?
I'd check first to make sure that your deck belt is NOT over one of the little brake pad arms or guides. And make sure that the idler pulley is able to slide in its groove, this can get stuck with dirt and debris (a different issue than the pulley itself not turning).

I have an LT1000 917.275371 purchased in 2005. My owner's manual also states #144959 for the belt for the deck, which lists as 95.5 x 1/2 inches (and tractor belt #160855 which lists as 95 x 1/2 inches).

I use same 95” x ½” Kevlar belts for BOTH applications, seems to work fine.

joea99

Threads
I'd check first to make sure that your deck belt is NOT over one of the little brake pad arms or guides. And make sure that the idler pulley is able to slide in its groove, this can get stuck with dirt and debris (a different issue than the pulley itself not turning).

I have an LT1000 917.275371 purchased in 2005. My owner's manual also states #144959 for the belt for the deck, which lists as 95.5 x 1/2 inches (and tractor belt #160855 which lists as 95 x 1/2 inches).

I use same 95” x ½” Kevlar belts for BOTH applications, seems to work fine.

The "idler" is the one pointed to in the picture I posted, not the "clutch" pulley? When I tighten the holding bolt for that, it is stationary. Rotates on the bearing but does not move otherwise.

If that is supposed to be free to adjust itself then I assembled that part incorrectly. I'll take a closer look at it. This is what comes of not taking notes when taking things apart.

Cusser

Threads
On my LT1000, the idler with the red arrow is stationary, the pulley just spins freely. The one with the blue arrow is the one that must be free to slide in its groove in the deck (that's what engages the belt/blades).
Lawn tractor deck.PNG

joea99

Threads
On my LT1000, the idler with the red arrow is stationary, the pulley just spins freely. The one with the blue arrow is the one that must be free to slide in its groove in the deck (that's what engages the belt/blades).
View attachment 68680
That's how mine works.

Ordered a PIX A93 belt, we shall see if that measures longer.

If all else fails and they all seem too tight, I guess I can shorten those "front link" a bit, if there is thread left. That should move the deck forward and make the belt slacker.
No idea how far I can move those and if it will cause issues with the other arms. Looks like they are free to move about some.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
One problem here is that the belt is a Polyester belt. You should had ordered a A93K as it is the Kevlar version.

joea99

Threads
One problem here is that the belt is a Polyester belt. You should had ordered a A93K as it is the Kevlar version.
Thanks. I can see if I can cancel it.

What is the other problem? The idea of shortening the front arm? The front locator is on threads, so I should be able to move it forward. Probably not much movement is required.

joea99

Threads
This appears resolved. I put the D&D belt back on after shortening the front links several turns and the blades do not move at idle. A bit "stiff" engaging the clutch, but I understand it will loosen up after an hour or so.

Thanks for all the advice.