LT 2000 smokes and backfires

Carl Spackler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I'm hoping I can get some assistance. The tractor this year started blowing white smoke out the muffler. I've been keeping an eye on the oil level and add it halfway through cutting my 2 acres. Then the last time I cut, the engine was backfiring towards the end of my cutting. I've done a lot of searching online and concluded that the ethanol mixed gas I get might be the problem. I drained and cleaned the gas tank, changed the fuel filter, disassembled and cleaned the carburetor and changed the oil. I filled the tank with 100% gasoline and it ran awesome...until it got hot. It did seem to be blowing white smoke even when cold, but not as bad. It backfires and sputters now when it's hot, especially when I engage the blades. I attached a video of it running, hopefully that will help. I appreciate any suggestions. Tractor M/N: 247.288852. Briggs & Stratton engine #: 331877. In the video, the throttle is full the entire time until the end when I shut it down, at the 50 second mark, I slowly engage the blades. Video: https://youtu.be/jF8iYmYa20U

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blown head gasket.
Run the engine for 5 minutes them turn it off.
Remove the dip stick.
If you get smoke signals coming from the dip stick tube, you head gasket is blown betwen the cylinder & the pushrod tube

Carl Spackler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. It sounds like that may be a common problem? Do you know of a source for service manuals that show torque specs? Thank you again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it is a very common problem.
The inteks seem to be heavily influenced by the Vanguard design except the Japanese seem to make better castings .

It is not a difficult job.
Once you have slipped the hood off everything you need to get at is right there in front of your face.
I leave the muffler in place but remove the manifold complete with carby and let it sit to one side, no need to disconnect it.
When the head is off lap it on a sheet of 600 ( or finer ) wet & dry paper on a sheet of glass.
If the rocker cover has silicone on it, clean all of the silicone off and replace it with a gasket, this will make removing it a little latter on a lot easier & quicker.
Both Danny boy 87 & Taryl Fixes All have very good You tube videos of replacing intek head gaskets if you want to see one done .

Briggs manuals are easy to come by, Intek one is still in print you can order it direct from Briggs & Stratton when you go there to download the free parts book for your engine.

You can try this link, it is from another similar forum.
The links might be good or they may be broken
http://www.mytractorforum.com/280-small-engines-repair-stickies/242387-briggs-statton-repair-manuals.html