LT 1000 mandrels that don't fail in 2 days?

2xLT1000

Forum Newbie
Threads
The 917.271811 comes up with the 532130794 spindles. Rotary makes a heavy duty version of that spindle under PN 15177. Google using "Rotary 15177" and you will sources online or you could go to a local Rotary dealer and have them order them for you.
Thank you for the information even though I bungled the model number twice!
I did Google that part number and found several sources for Rotary.
I'll post back when they come in to close out this thread.
Thanks again!

2xLT1000

Forum Newbie
Threads
That number works better and I have three things that could contribute to you problem. Before getting more new parts I would be checking to find the cause. Check the following.
1. Wrong belt putting too much tension on the assemblies. Belt should be part number 532144959. Length should be 95.5”.
2. Housing not staying tight to the deck, due to enlarged holes, bent or sprung deck,
3. Wrong spindle assemblies ore spindle pulley. As Star said Assembly should be part number 532130794 And spindle pulley should be part number 532173436.
4. Is the tensioner arm and pulleys keeping constant pressure on the belt, not allowing it ti flop around.
Something is causing the problem and seems you are having continued problems after replacing parts you need to find the cause before throwing more parts at it.
I had given up on Sears Parts and decided to wing it. I did originally have the wrong belt but finally figured that out.
Deck is in good shape.
I had a problem with the tension pulley not disengaging until a teardown and rebuild. That now works.
I think my mistake was buying the cheapest spindle housings. Some housings had slop after I put the bearings in, others I had to tap the bearings in place. Even when I purchased the entire assembly there was something just not quite right about them. I guess you get what you pay for.
I will double check the other concerns you raised when I rebuild the deck this time.
Thank you for the advice!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have now been here for 10 years and from day one there were warnings about buying cheap parts off Ebay and then when Scamazon branched out into everything , Scamazon parts.
Apparently the warnings will need to be done 700,000,000 times ( everyone in the USA twice ) before it sinks in .
The 3 bolt spindle housings were found to suffer poorly from sudden impacts like hitting tree roots or catching the edge of garden edging so they got replace with 4 bolt housings.
Nothing inheriently wrong with the 3 bolt ones, just not capable of handleing minor user abuse

2xLT1000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have now been here for 10 years and from day one there were warnings about buying cheap parts off Ebay and then when Scamazon branched out into everything , Scamazon parts.
Apparently the warnings will need to be done 700,000,000 times ( everyone in the USA twice ) before it sinks in .
The 3 bolt spindle housings were found to suffer poorly from sudden impacts like hitting tree roots or catching the edge of garden edging so they got replace with 4 bolt housings.
Nothing inheriently wrong with the 3 bolt ones, just not capable of handleing minor user abuse
You are so right.
Only today, thanks to you gentlemen, am i figuring this out. I also have a 247.288810 that I have mowed with since 2005 that has the 4 bolt mandrels. I've only had to change a belt or occasionally the blades. Not one problem with the mandrels.
I did have to put a fuel shutoff on it as the solenoid failed and, even if i bought a new solenoid, I'll never trust it again.
The shutoff was much cheaper than the 5 oil changes I thought it needed to get the gas out of the crankcase. It also is down because I backed over a stump and it has speed control issues (I'm an electrical technician and I have sch
The 917 model I only found after my father passed, in the barn, with 'deck issues'. And here we are.
Thank you for the insight.

Cusser

Threads
I have an LT1000 myself, purchased in 2005. I don't mow grass with it, I'm in Arizona and use it to whack 1.5 acres of weeds and tumbleweeds, so tougher on it than mowing grass.

That said: I have replaced the complete 3-bolt spindles a few times, buy them online. Typically my issue is that the 5-point star pattern wears, the bearings go bad, and a couple of times the mandrel housing has broken, but not a constant thing. I've replaced idler pulleys too, the dust gets into their bearings.

Right now I've got two new mandrels sitting in their boxes, ordered online last year as part of a deck kit, cheaper to buy that way...typically I buy from Ebay retailers, not a zillion factories making these parts !!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are so right.
Only today, thanks to you gentlemen, am i figuring this out. I also have a 247.288810 that I have mowed with since 2005 that has the 4 bolt mandrels. I've only had to change a belt or occasionally the blades. Not one problem with the mandrels.
I did have to put a fuel shutoff on it as the solenoid failed and, even if i bought a new solenoid, I'll never trust it again.
The shutoff was much cheaper than the 5 oil changes I thought it needed to get the gas out of the crankcase. It also is down because I backed over a stump and it has speed control issues (I'm an electrical technician and I have sch
The 917 model I only found after my father passed, in the barn, with 'deck issues'. And here we are.
Thank you for the insight.
Solenoid does not stop fuel contaminating the oil as all the brain dead idiots on You Tube expouse.
It blocks off the MAIN JET so the engine stops
It does not stop the float bowl over filling and the fuel running out of the bowl breather and into the engine
So you need to clean the carb and perhaps replace the float needle

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It’s not just the YouTube idiots who believe this. Seen it posted as a solution on this forum more than once. I wish people would understand how each component works before they starting talking about it. Gets very confusing for everyone.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Both of you are right. So much mis-information out there and most of the unknowing DIYers out that what they see on YouTube as the gospel truth. It is the same with a lot other things where people are being brainwashed into believing what is mostly a bunch of lies.

And those that are repeating these untruths will agrue with a sign post with not a letter on it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We are about to have a black fellas refferendum
Right now Australian social media is awash about how it will be rigged through manipulating the voting machines.
A couple of hard right groups are encouraging people not to vote so it will be declaired a null result
The posters apparently are unaware that voting is compulsory so we have to vote and secondly that we use pencils to put a cross against yes or no
So yes there is a big section of every population that believe the computer is always right

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
We are about to have a black fellas refferendum
Right now Australian social media is awash about how it will be rigged through manipulating the voting machines.
A couple of hard right groups are encouraging people not to vote so it will be declaired a null result
The posters apparently are unaware that voting is compulsory so we have to vote and secondly that we use pencils to put a cross against yes or no
So yes there is a big section of every population that believe the computer is always right
The internet is full of both bad and great “facts”. Not just with small engines. When in doubt, double or triple check your sources for accurate information. The anti-after fire solenoid on a small engine carburetor is a perfect example. All it does is block off the fuel to the main jet. People call it a fuel shut off solenoid and think it will prevent the engine from hydro locking . Wishful thinking…
Then again, most don’t know what hydro lock means either.