Export thread

Lowballers

Ric

Ric

Lowballers are coming out of the wood work. there advertising on craigslist with $10 and $12 cuts to include grass cut, trimmed, edged and blown off. Gonna be a wicked year.

exotion

exotion

Haven't noticed a difference here. I've gotten 12 new regulars at $25 a week

Carscw

Carscw

You can always advertise we fix $10 grass cuts.

exotion

exotion

Hahaha that's awesome :)

Mike88se

Mike88se

Lowballers are coming out of the wood work. there advertising on craigslist with $10 and $12 cuts to include grass cut, trimmed, edged and blown off. Gonna be a wicked year.
Maybe if you wait long enough they'll starve?

:thumbsup:

B

bls36

Got a guy doing that around here. He cutting grass for $10 per cut. Cutting only. You have to pay a month ahead. He is taking all the customers. Then the customers call u back saying can u cut it for $8 cutting, trimming, and blowing. I tell them nope.

Carscw

Carscw

Got a guy doing that around here. He cutting grass for $10 per cut. Cutting only. You have to pay a month ahead. He is taking all the customers. Then the customers call u back saying can u cut it for $8 cutting, trimming, and blowing. I tell them nope.

That's just insane. I would not even drive past the house for $10

He will be gone as soon as his mower blows up.

You could make him look bad with some roundup balloons.

exotion

exotion

That's just insane. I would not even drive past the house for $10

He will be gone as soon as his mower blows up.

You could make him look bad with some roundup balloons.

No need he will make him self look bad

T

tybilly

I wouldn't care if it was a 6th grader wanting money to buy a bicycle,but they'll get tired and start doing sloppy work if they don't already.

Ric

Ric

I wouldn't care if it was a 6th grader wanting money to buy a bicycle,but they'll get tired and start doing sloppy work if they don't already.

The kids looking for summer jobs don't really bother me, I think that a summer job for a kid is a great thing it keeps them out of trouble. It's those that advertise there $10 cuts on craigslist that make things so bad on the legit businesses that screw everything up.

Mike88se

Mike88se

They can't be making any profit. I mean I can't see how they could.

Ric

Ric

They can't be making any profit. I mean I can't see how they could.

I don't think there interested in profit or the bottom line at the end of the year like the legit business owner. Most have no overhead because the equipment they use is the same as what they do there own home with. Nine times out of ten they don't even have a license so the money they make goes directly into there pocket and not back to or into the business.

Mike88se

Mike88se

I don't think there interested in profit or the bottom line at the end of the year like the legit business owner. Most have no overhead because the equipment they use is the same as what they do there own home with. Nine times out of ten they don't even have a license so the money they make goes directly into there pocket and not back to or into the business.
I'm not sure I could be called a legit business owner and I don't have a license or much overhead... but I still have to eat. If I cut grass for 10 bux I'd be a nonprofit charitable organization... and I need a nonprofit charitable org to feed me.
Seems like they'd have to be in and out in 10 minutes and have a real tight service area to have any chance at all at making enough money to survive. And they'd have to be working alone too because there's not enough money to split with anyone. I work alone and I don't think there is any lawn I do that could be done in 10min unless I had all my equipment strapped on my back or hanging on my belt.

Carscw

Carscw

Like I said they only last till their mower breaks.

Ric

Ric

I'm not sure I could be called a legit business owner and I don't have a license or much overhead... but I still have to eat. If I cut grass for 10 bux I'd be a nonprofit charitable organization... and I need a nonprofit charitable org to feed me.
Seems like they'd have to be in and out in 10 minutes and have a real tight service area to have any chance at all at making enough money to survive. And they'd have to be working alone too because there's not enough money to split with anyone. I work alone and I don't think there is any lawn I do that could be done in 10min unless I had all my equipment strapped on my back or hanging on my belt.

Well by legit I mean people who are actually trying to make a living doing the job which is different than trying to earn beer money. The size of the business shouldn't have much, if anything to do with what they charge. Pricing a job should be consistant with the market area your working. Most guys that run a lawn care business will tell you a certain percentage of the money they make goes to the overhead and running the business. That's the reason there always screaming about the amounts they have to make an hour.

M

Mikel1

What size are these lots for $10 cuts? The lowest here that I am aware of is $30 for 1/2 acre cut.

Fish

Fish

Wow, those prices that you all are throwing around suck!! Hell,
I was charging more in 1980, and I was the lowballer back then, and these prices were for the little old ladies that lived through the depression.

Ric

Ric

Wow, those prices that you all are throwing around suck!! Hell,
I was charging more in 1980, and I was the lowballer back then, and these prices were for the little old ladies that lived through the depression.

I agree those prices do suck and the cuts are probably worse. I understand about wanting to maybe break into the business but at those prices there screwing themselves.

Mower Doctor 78006

Mower Doctor 78006

At 10 bucks a cut even if you lived down the street and pushed your mower back and forth you would be eating Ramen noodles all day!! If 2 yards burn 1 gallon of fuel that's 3-4 bucks right there. They only made 20. Its ether kids that are bored, somebody with no bills or........... Just has way to much time and just felt like mowing grass.

Attachments

BHLC

BHLC

Using dad's mower and gas...

Mower Doctor 78006

Mower Doctor 78006

It's possible............

Using dad's mower and gas...

Ric

Ric

What size are these lots for $10 cuts? The lowest here that I am aware of is $30 for 1/2 acre cut.

Lot sizes can vary. Here the 1/8th of an acre, ( sub-division ) basically 5000 sq.ft. there getting 17.50 a cut and your not cutting a whole lot property when you consider there's a 2500sq.ft. home drives and sidewalks etc on the property.

exotion

exotion

Most houses here have about 3509 sqft of turf. If its basic I charge $25 weekly for mowing weedeating edging mowing blowing and fertilizer every 6 weeks.

We do have a lot of misc big lots to I just got a house with 12000 sqft of turf I charge 65 weekly. I could never imaging doing any of.these lots for $10 except one a neighbor to my customer has just a 2000 sqft square just needs mowed and blower and she is directly next to one of my customers I charge her $10 weekly

Ric

Ric

Most houses here have about 3509 sqft of turf. If its basic I charge $25 weekly for mowing weedeating edging mowing blowing and fertilizer every 6 weeks.

We do have a lot of misc big lots to I just got a house with 12000 sqft of turf I charge 65 weekly. I could never imaging doing any of.these lots for $10 except one a neighbor to my customer has just a 2000 sqft square just needs mowed and blower and she is directly next to one of my customers I charge her $10 weekly

Most here are either 1/8th or 1/4 acre lots. My own for an example is like 1/8th and I have a 2850 sq.ft of living area plus the 700 sq.ft three car garage with a three car drive and sidewalks so how mush can be left.:smile: I make one pass down the north side with the 30" Turf-master, three passes down the south and back an two across the front with the 36"GS. :biggrin: there is 10 feet between my house and the neighbors house. How much do you charge for a lawn that small. I can't in good conscience charge 25 a cut for that.

exotion

exotion

Right that's true I wouldn't either so I would give them a deal probably $20 weekly to start tell them the price goes down if I can get another house or two in the neighborhood. They talk to their neighbors and suddenly I have 3 houses for $15 each making $45 dollars in the half hour to 45 mins it takes me to run over them. I wait for them to talk to their neighbours and suddenly I have a whole neighborhood. This is what happened to be I had one lady and word of mouth I have 7 houses directly next to each other at $25 each :)

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

10$ for a mow, trim and blow is dirt cheap! Might as well work at Burger King for that chicken nugget money!

I charge 20$ a cut usually. That is about 2000 square feet of lawn and sometimes less. The 25$ lawns are a little bigger or have some pita factors. Some I do for 30$ too. When alone, I can do 2-3 lawns an hour which sums it up to 40$-60$ hour.

In another place, I lowered my prices slightly, because I already have 6 yards there. I can do 5 in 1.5 hours alone! Which ends up being about 90$ in my pockets = 60$/hour. Not bad for working with a 21" mower.

Just the other day I quoted for two lawns for a full summer. Some low baller went way low and I didn't get the deal. I didn't mind, because the yards were ugly and renters lived there = garbage all over the place.

exotion

exotion

My view is if the customer wants the low baller you were going to lose it eventually. I prefer the customer who wants to pay a little more I can gain their loyalty and have a customer for years... Cheap people pay cheap people...

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

My view is if the customer wants the low baller you were going to lose it eventually. I prefer the customer who wants to pay a little more I can gain their loyalty and have a customer for years... Cheap people pay cheap people...

Very true!

BHLC

BHLC

Our min. Is $30 goes up from there

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Our min. Is $30 goes up from there

I bet that is for yards that are about 1/4 acre and need the use of a ZTR? Also, you are in Vermont. The money is good there if I am correct.

BHLC

BHLC

Between 1/4 and 1/2. Depends on the county on how the money is.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Between 1/4 and 1/2. Depends on the county on how the money is.

Yea, that is what I thought.

I mow way less then that. Probably 2000-2500 square feet. I have one 1/4 acre and charge 30$

BHLC

BHLC

We just won a municipal contract again for 2 more years, went up $1k a year to get it up closer to what it should be. They went with us even though we weren't the lowest bidder. It came down to service and the fact they had no complaints about us from the past two years.

BHLC

BHLC

We are also bidding on another property that consists of 63 total acres! They are using us on two of the properties this year with a total of 30 acres(if we win the bid) and if it goes well the rest next year.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Things seem to be going well for you!

How do you bid for such big lots? By the acre or hour?

BHLC

BHLC

Things seem to be going well for you! How do you bid for such big lots? By the acre or hour?

Acre on these two. Discounted acre

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Acre on these two. Discounted acre

Allright. I guess by the acre for big flat areas and by the hour for that complicated lot. Around here it is 50$ an acre, but I have never mowed that big! I don't have the mower for that. Only in the suburbs they have that like at my GF's house, but most do it themselves

jekjr

jekjr

Allright. I guess by the acre for big flat areas and by the hour for that complicated lot. Around here it is 50$ an acre, but I have never mowed that big! I don't have the mower for that. Only in the suburbs they have that like at my GF's house, but most do it themselves

I had a yard last year that was 4 acres. Most of it is centipede but it has some Bahia. We cut it for $125. Two Kubotas and we are outta there in a little over an hour.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I had a yard last year that was 4 acres. Most of it is centipede but it has some Bahia. We cut it for $125. Two Kubotas and we are outta there in a little over an hour.

That is a good price! If that would of been by the acre it would of cost about 200$. But, you did finish the job after an hour, so 125$ for 1 hour of work is good.

jekjr

jekjr

We have one that is over 7 acres. We actually cut it way too cheap but we cut it for $180. We were out of it yesterday in a little over 2 hours and it was verrrry wet.

When we can run flat out for an hour or more without having to load up and move we take it if we can get $40 an hour or more. We seldom take anything under $35 either unless it is on the way to some where else or right beside something we are unloaded for.

I would like to get a property big enough to run all day to see how many acres we could cut in 10 hours.

G

gabowman

Last year it rained atleast one day per week all summer long. Grass never died and anybody that ever wanted to start their own grass cutting business got plenty of work last year. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry that owned a mower and trailer got into the grass cutting business. Last year was an unusual year. It would be nice looking for the same rainfalls again this year but my bet is it aint gonna happen. After the low ballers gets thru there should be alot of mowers, trailers, blowers, edgers, and weed eaters for sale before this summer is over.

jakewells

jakewells

35$ is the minimum. i fix a lot of screw ups here that the cheap people do.

M

man00

Some of you sound like plumbers. Times are tough in America, people will do what they have to do.

Arnezie

Arnezie

As cheap as $25 an acre around here. City lots $10-15
professional lawn care $10/cut

exotion

exotion

Well I've seen some 15$ cutters popping up... Oh well ill keep my $25 min I have a good customer base and am continuing to grow keeping my dignity :)

Carscw

Carscw

Yesterday a guy wanted someone to cut 3 acres about 10 inches tall. I told him $150 just to cut it nothing fancy.
So then the meth heads came out the wood work. Lowest one came in at $30

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Yesterday a guy wanted someone to cut 3 acres about 10 inches tall. I told him $150 just to cut it nothing fancy.
So then the meth heads came out the wood work. Lowest one came in at $30

30$!?!? That is insane! That would be the cost alone in gas to mow 10 inch tall grass!

L

LoCo86

Yesterday a guy wanted someone to cut 3 acres about 10 inches tall. I told him $150 just to cut it nothing fancy. So then the meth heads came out the wood work. Lowest one came in at $30

I'm glad the low ballers are taking up the customer base that I wouldn't want to perform service for anyway. Also, when the customer realizes they are a here today gone tomorrow mowing crew then they will call someone who is in this for the business.

jekjr

jekjr

I would have been glad to cut 3 acres for $100 especially if not much weed eating. We could have been gone in an hour probably.

Ric

Ric

Well here's one I've never seen to get new clients. FREE LAWN SERVICE For a month when you sign up for our monthly service.

Already have a Lawn service?
We will beat their price and give you a full month of FREE LAWN SERVICE

Basic Lawn Mowing Service Package (1)
Starting at ONLY $55 per month!

• Mow
  • Trim
  • Edge
  • Blow
(up to 10,000 sq.ft.)

Deluxe Lawn Mowing Service Package (2)
Starting at $70 per month!

• Mow, Trim
  • Edge, Blow
  • Trim Bushes & Palm Trees (15 ft. max)
  • De-weed Landscape Beds
( up to 10,000 sq.ft.)

1. Simply tell us when you want us to start
Select your package
3. Pay online to begin service:

Carscw

Carscw

Well here's one I've never seen to get new clients. FREE LAWN SERVICE For a month when you sign up for our monthly service. Already have a Lawn service? We will beat their price and give you a full month of FREE LAWN SERVICE Basic Lawn Mowing Service Package (1) Starting at ONLY $55 per month! [*] Mow [*] Trim [*] Edge [*] Blow (up to 10,000 sq.ft.) Deluxe Lawn Mowing Service Package (2) Starting at $70 per month! [*] Mow, Trim [*] Edge, Blow [*] Trim Bushes & Palm Trees (15 ft. max) [*] De-weed Landscape Beds ( up to 10,000 sq.ft.)

I wish them luck.

So they start out losing money.
Sent them my way I will give them a bunch of yards.

E

edd

this is free enterprise captalism in its rawest form......i deal with lowballers and loose some to them but keep enough to stay busy.....what i call my business model [ do the best work, pay my part time helper well,give the time and effort to give that WOW factor to a yard ] works in most but not all cases.....some people go with lowest price regardless....thinking of asking city council to require liability ins for grasscutters but i doubt they would go that far....they require business license but dont enforce it.....we just have to deal with these problems and adjust on the fly ...or close the doors

exotion

exotion

Wow..... I don't even know.... I've given people free mow for things like referals and such but never a month .. and 10k sqft 55 a month? No way just no way

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

What kind of idea is that? They are going to end up bankrupt. I bet there equipment sucks.

Ric

Ric

What kind of idea is that? They are going to end up bankrupt. I bet there equipment sucks.

That was my thought :confused2: Bankrupt... Like Carscw said they are losing money from the start and I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to pay them first to start there service, the whole thing sounds fishy to me.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

Well here's one I've never seen to get new clients. FREE LAWN SERVICE For a month when you sign up for our monthly service.

Already have a Lawn service?
We will beat their price and give you a full month of FREE LAWN SERVICE

Basic Lawn Mowing Service Package (1)
Starting at ONLY $55 per month!

[*] Mow
[*] Trim
[*] Edge
[*] Blow

(up to 10,000 sq.ft.)

Deluxe Lawn Mowing Service Package (2)
Starting at $70 per month!

[*] Mow, Trim
[*] Edge, Blow
[*] Trim Bushes & Palm Trees (15 ft. max)
[*] De-weed Landscape Beds

( up to 10,000 sq.ft.)

2. Select your package

Hmm just curious but did you seriously see that? I wonder if I had 15,000 sq ft if they could only handle 10,000 sq ft? Anyway the lowballers are a hassle but they aren't engaged in the communities renovating parks, donating to charities owning major sports teams in the 55 and over softball league lol. I'm not sure the police wouldn't be called on them in most of the areas we mow in. On the other hand some might be legit they're just new and don't have a clue yet. They'll figure it out when they pay their first fuel bill.

Ric

Ric

Hmm just curious but did you seriously see that? I wonder if I had 15,000 sq ft if they could only handle 10,000 sq ft? Anyway the lowballers are a hassle but they aren't engaged in the communities renovating parks, donating to charities owning major sports teams in the 55 and over softball league lol. I'm not sure the police wouldn't be called on them in most of the areas we mow in. On the other hand some might be legit they're just new and don't have a clue yet. They'll figure it out when they pay their first fuel bill.

Did I really see see that, LOL....Yes I seriously seen that. I couldn't make up something that ridiculous. It was on there advertisements or flyers they hanging on doors all over the place. They also have a site you can view it on but I wont post it or there name here but I can PM you the site if you like? I just really like the last section where it says:

2. Select your package

gfp55

gfp55

Some of you sound like plumbers. Times are tough in America, people will do what they have to do.

I'm with you, they cry about someone that will do the job cheaper then them. Some of you are making $30-$60 or more a hour and you cry when you get under cut. Whats wrong with the new startups "low balling". Oh, I see now, my bad. You must have all started at the top. Do you ever read some of your own posts. Quit crying and man up. This is free enterprise

E

edd

what i have learned in 10 years of cutting and growing every year is that there is no protection in this industry.....requiring everybody to have a business license hardly levels the playing field.....a city requiring everybody have liability insurance would help make things more equal but it would have to be enforced......you have to be creative and out think these price cutters.....building relationships with customers goes a long way......i hand out refrigerator magnets to all my customers with company name.....i have dropped price by 5 dollars per cut on some after they have been with me for 5 years......i give discounted price on things such as trimming hedges for long time customers.......anything that will build a little loyalty and connection......i am not against the kid with a pushmower trying to make spending money in the summer.....i despise the cutter that sees me doing a yard and comes back later and tries to under price me.......but these things just have to be dealt with.......you keep most but you lose a few

Carscw

Carscw

I'm with you, they cry about someone that will do the job cheaper then them. Some of you are making $30-$60 or more a hour and you cry when you get under cut. Whats wrong with the new startups "low balling". Oh, I see now, my bad. You must have all started at the top. Do you ever read some of your own posts. Quit crying and man up. This is free enterprise

There is a difference between someone just starting out and low balling.

Around here price starts at $35 for a small 1/4 acre yard guy bids $25 or $30 because he is just starting out. Ok that's fine. But then you have the low balling fools that will do it for $10. All it does is drive the price down for everyone.

I bid 3 acres a foot tall at $150.00 a guy bid $30
Two days later guy calls me and said this guy has been cutting all day and maybe has a 1/4 acre done can you come cut this. I told him my price is now $200 because I have to fix the mess now. Took me a hour and a half.

These guys think because they have a truck and a homemade trailer with a wore out snapper rer and a $15 pawn shop blower and trimmer that they are now pros.

How can you make many doing lawn care making $20 a hour? It takes one bad day to put them out of business. They hit a rock. Bend a $30 blade and snap a $40 belt or break a $80 spindle. Now they sit and think borrow money and fix the mower or get some more beer.

I find that around here if you bid to cheap the homeowner won't even talk to you. They know that if you bid half of what others bid your not doing a good job.

Anyone can cut grass but not everyone can do it right.

Carscw

Carscw

what i have learned in 10 years of cutting and growing every year is that there is no protection in this industry.....requiring everybody to have a business license hardly levels the playing field.....a city requiring everybody have liability insurance would help make things more equal but it would have to be enforced......you have to be creative and out think these price cutters.....building relationships with customers goes a long way......i hand out refrigerator magnets to all my customers with company name.....i have dropped price by 5 dollars per cut on some after they have been with me for 5 years......i give discounted price on things such as trimming hedges for long time customers.......anything that will build a little loyalty and connection......i am not against the kid with a pushmower trying to make spending money in the summer.....i despise the cutter that sees me doing a yard and comes back later and tries to under price me.......but these things just have to be dealt with.......you keep most but you lose a few

I agree a kid with a push mower just trying to make some cash is not the same.

The guy the sees you cutting a yard and then tries to take it from you is just a scum bag.

Ric

Ric

I agree with others when they say I'm not against a kid with a push mower just trying to make some summertime cash but to do what this guy is doing, coming around and putting his adds on doors where lawns have just been done and offering free cuts for a month to anyone is about as under handed and low as someone can get. I'm not against the new guy as long as they do things the right way and there is a way of doing things to earn the respect of your competition but soliciting your competitions clients isn't one.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

I've kept my pricing consistent from the beginning. I've never low balled, I'm not upset and I understand free enterprise. However there's huge difference between free enterprise and industry standards. Most everyone here has built their business from the ground up. When this douche bag offers prices like $10 a yard he's taking money out of your pocket. First he can't pay his fuel bill prices go up for the honest paying customer ( you). Then its mower and truck repo time banks raise interest rates to cover the gap. If you're mowing for $10 you've no pride,no self respect or respect for others. Its basic economics we will pay for people who don't or can't because they are clueless dirt bags. I can't survive on $60 an hour gross I spend more then that in payroll alone. Unless I could get the tax payers to hand me everything because of this who entitled generation thing, that don't realize you get what you work for. So if you think it's free enterprise to low ball by 90% or in this turds case 100% for the first month, then obviously you need to educate yourself. Otherwise I wish them the best of luck but feel that they won't last long enough to become an issue for actual professionals.

Carscw

Carscw

I've kept my pricing consistent from the beginning. I've never low balled, I'm not upset and I understand free enterprise. However there's huge difference between free enterprise and industry standards. Most everyone here has built their business from the ground up. When this douche bag offers prices like $10 a yard he's taking money out of your pocket. First he can't pay his fuel bill prices go up for the honest paying customer ( you). Then its mower and truck repo time banks raise interest rates to cover the gap. If you're mowing for $10 you've no pride,no self respect or respect for others. Its basic economics we will pay for people who don't or can't because they are clueless dirt bags. I can't survive on $60 an hour gross I spend more then that in payroll alone. Unless I could get the tax payers to hand me everything because of this who entitled generation thing, that don't realize you get what you work for. So if you think it's free enterprise to low ball by 90% or in this turds case 100% for the first month, then obviously you need to educate yourself. Otherwise I wish them the best of luck but feel that they won't last long enough to become an issue for actual professionals.

I agree with everything you said.

I ask guys all the time why do you think that's all your time is worth?

They buy these landscape packages some dealers offer. Set their price dumb azz low then do a crappy job thinking they are going to get rich in 6 months.

I will not lower mr price just to get one yard. I know what my time and skills are worth and what I need to clear at the end of the day.

I just done get how anyone can charge $20 spend a hour at the yard.
Gas to get there, gas for the equipment,

Walmart pays better then that.

gfp55

gfp55

"douche bag" "clueless dirt bags" "this turds" These words sound like your upset to me. So when you started your company, all your customers were cold call new, you did not take over the jobs from another companies. You knew how to be a pro right from the start or did you work for a landscaper before you started your business? When you say "I've kept my pricing consistent from the beginning" When was the beginning, how long ago, what year? When you saw things like "If you're mowing for $10 you've no pride, no self respect or respect for others" you must know them personally to give that description of them, or are you assuming that. If you are assuming that then that is just your opinion and everyone has one. That does not make it a fact. Talking smack about the competition is not very professional. You can call it lowballing all you want, but that does not change the facts, someone will do the job cheaper then you. If the customer is happy with the work for the price then what is your beef. Like someone said here, you have to build a loyal customer base that will not go to the cheaper company. If you shop at Walmart you get cheaper prices, thats what the customer is doing when they go with the cheaper lawn care outfit, getting cheaper prices. Rethink your business plan and keep your customers.

Carscw

Carscw

"douche bag" "clueless dirt bags" "this turds" These words sound like your upset to me. So when you started your company, all your customers were cold call new, you did not take over the jobs from another companies. You knew how to be a pro right from the start or did you work for a landscaper before you started your business? When you say "I've kept my pricing consistent from the beginning" When was the beginning, how long ago, what year? When you saw things like "If you're mowing for $10 you've no pride, no self respect or respect for others" you must know them personally to give that description of them, or are you assuming that. If you are assuming that then that is just your opinion and everyone has one. That does not make it a fact. Talking smack about the competition is not very professional. You can call it lowballing all you want, but that does not change the facts, someone will do the job cheaper then you. If the customer is happy with the work for the price then what is your beef. Like someone said here, you have to build a loyal customer base that will not go to the cheaper company. If you shop at Walmart you get cheaper prices, thats what the customer is doing when they go with the cheaper lawn care outfit, getting cheaper prices. Rethink your business plan and keep your customers.

Why would there be a need to try and take yards from someone else?

I have only took one yard from someone else and that was last year. He did such a crappy job I went and told the homeowner i will fix the mess for free ( was a older man in his 80s) he told me he pays the guy $15 a week to cut his grass and any paper that is in the yard. Did not edge or blow. I gave the man a $20 discount and took the yard for $35

Still do it every week.

Why do you do yards so cheap?
Do you not think your work is good enough to charge what you should ?

I might volunteer to be the lawn care cop in my county for free.

I pay my taxes. Have a license and insurance. If you cut grass for profit you also need these things.

It pisses me off to see these fuktards low balling yards and getting food stamps and a Obama phone because they say they don't work. What they need is a good ole country azz kicking.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

I'm not upset and yes I will absolutely throw my opinions at an extreme low baller like the one we're referencing. Why would anyone defend someone trying to steal your customers with free or $10 mows. For those prices they may as well be a charity.

I haven't lost a customer in at least 5 years. I run a successful business with a comprehensive plan. do you have a business plan, or do you even own one? Wal Mart is a pathetic comparison to a professional service by the way.

As far as self respect goes you now yards for free or $10 a yard then go home ask yourself do respect myself for losing money all day.

The low baller isn't competing with me I provide high end lawn services. Something they can't do. Fact they are idiots trying to make a quick buck and are mostly an annoyense. Not to mention a tax burden.

gfp55

gfp55

Assumptions, baseless assumptions. Where do you guys come up with such petty small minded ideas. I have always payed my taxes, I have never got any government help, no free phones. I started cutting grass and snow plowing in the 60s and have watched guys like you come along and talk big, dream big and go down crying that its someone else's fault. I had a lawn care business for 40 years and was a shop rat until I sold it and retired altogether so don't say I don't pay my far share of taxes. Oh and by the way, people were getting free phones from the government years before Obama was elected. Just another fact you have wrong.

Carscw

Carscw

Assumptions, baseless assumptions. Where do you guys come up with such petty small minded ideas. I have always payed my taxes, I have never got any government help, no free phones. I started cutting grass and snow plowing in the 60s and have watched guys like you come along and talk big, dream big and go down crying that its someone else's fault. I had a lawn care business for 40 years and was a shop rat until I sold it and retired altogether so don't say I don't pay my far share of taxes. Oh and by the way, people were getting free phones from the government years before Obama was elected. Just another fact you have wrong.
Dumb azz the first free gov cell phone was handed out in 2008 after he took office.
Maybe you need to get the facts.

gfp55

gfp55

Dumb azz the first free gov cell phone was handed out in 2008 after he took office.
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

gfp55

gfp55

The phone deal started in 1996 under Clinton continued thing the Bush years, but the first phone was given out in 2008 when Obama was in office. Check the facts mouthy.

gfp55

gfp55

I'm not upset and yes I will absolutely throw my opinions at an extreme low baller like the one we're referencing. Why would anyone defend someone trying to steal your customers with free or $10 mows. For those prices they may as well be a charity.

I haven't lost a customer in at least 5 years. I run a successful business with a comprehensive plan. do you have a business plan, or do you even own one? Wal Mart is a pathetic comparison to a professional service by the way.

As far as self respect goes you now yards for free or $10 a yard then go home ask yourself do respect myself for losing money all day.

The low baller isn't competing with me I provide high end lawn services. Something they can't do. Fact they are idiots trying to make a quick buck and are mostly an annoyense. Not to mention a tax burden.

I can understand how you don't have to worry about the "lowballer", you have a plan and high end customers. But tell me this, How do you know that the "lowballer" "is a tax burden".

gfp55

gfp55

There is a difference between someone just starting out and low balling.

Around here price starts at $35 for a small 1/4 acre yard guy bids $25 or $30 because he is just starting out. Ok that's fine. But then you have the low balling fools that will do it for $10. All it does is drive the price down for everyone.

I bid 3 acres a foot tall at $150.00 a guy bid $30
Two days later guy calls me and said this guy has been cutting all day and maybe has a 1/4 acre done can you come cut this. I told him my price is now $200 because I have to fix the mess now. Took me a hour and a half.

These guys think because they have a truck and a homemade trailer with a wore out snapper rer and a $15 pawn shop blower and trimmer that they are now pros.

How can you make many doing lawn care making $20 a hour? It takes one bad day to put them out of business. They hit a rock. Bend a $30 blade and snap a $40 belt or break a $80 spindle. Now they sit and think borrow money and fix the mower or get some more beer.

I find that around here if you bid to cheap the homeowner won't even talk to you. They know that if you bid half of what others bid your not doing a good job.

Anyone can cut grass but not everyone can do it right.
If you are doing a good job then why are you so worried?

Ric

Ric

The phone deal started in 1996 under Clinton continued thing the Bush years, but the first phone was given out in 2008 when Obama was in office. Check the facts mouthy.

Actually No presidents had anything to do with it. The whole thing began back in 1996 when the Federal Communications Commission authorized the programs for landline phones. At that time it provided discounts on landline phones only, for obvious reasons. To this day the government provides discounts on landline phones for financially disadvantaged people in the United States and U.S. territories. The Link-Up portion helps with the installation and the Lifeline Assistance part helps with the monthly bills, to the tune of roughly ten dollars a month.
So, the subsidization of phones began under President Clinton, and has continued under Presidents Bush and Obama.
Over that time, the usage of cell phones rose and the costs came down. Assuming one believes in the Lifeline program in the first place, and remembering that the FCC has mandated the program, it only makes sense to expand the phone assistance program to include cell phones. So, in 2008 the first application of this program for mobile phones began when a company called Tracfone started their Safelink Wireless service in Tennessee.
Aha, some say, that's the same year Obama was elected! Well, that's true. But the service in Tennessee was launched three months prior to Obama being elected. And that means the discussion and approval of the extension of the program occurred under President Bushs watch.

gfp55

gfp55

Actually No presidents had anything to do with it. The whole thing began back in 1996 when the Federal Communications Commission authorized the programs for landline phones. At that time it provided discounts on landline phones only, for obvious reasons. To this day the government provides discounts on landline phones for financially disadvantaged people in the United States and U.S. territories. The Link-Up portion helps with the installation and the Lifeline Assistance part helps with the monthly bills, to the tune of roughly ten dollars a month.
So, the subsidization of phones began under President Clinton, and has continued under Presidents Bush and Obama.
Over that time, the usage of cell phones rose and the costs came down. Assuming one believes in the Lifeline program in the first place, and remembering that the FCC has mandated the program, it only makes sense to expand the phone assistance program to include cell phones. So, in 2008 the first application of this program for mobile phones began when a company called Tracfone started their Safelink Wireless service in Tennessee.
Aha, some say, that's the same year Obama was elected! Well, that's true. But the service in Tennessee was launched three months prior to Obama being elected. And that means the discussion and approval of the extension of the program occurred under President Bushs watch.

So So who's the "Dumb Azz" now. Carscw

Carscw

Carscw

Like I said the first cell phone was handed out after Obama was in office. This is why they call it the Obama phone. Even tho he had not a thing to do with it.

I read the same thing

gfp55

gfp55

Maybe you can't read, thats not what Ric just posted. Read his post if you can?

Carscw

Carscw

OMFG NO ONE GOT A FREE GOV CELL PHONE BEFORE HE WAS IN OFFICE

The program might have been started before hand but NO phones where shipped to anyone.

Go read the whole thing not just what ric copied and pasted.

Carscw

Carscw

This was just to easy to get you off of low balling to something else.

gfp55

gfp55

This was just to easy to get you off of low balling to something else.

OK OK If you say so you must be right.Free gov. cell phones are Obama's fault. You are right, I'm wrong. Will that shut you up on that. If you are doing a good job and your customers are happy,why are you so against someone charging less then you. If they go to your customers and try to take them and if they do take them, your customers must not be happy with your work. This so called "low balling" is nothing new, I had customers taken from me, but I would talk to the customer and ask what I could do to get them back. If they still went with the other person must of the time I would get them back after the new company made a mess of things. Then I knew the customer was mine forever, then I now knew my work was fair for the money. I didn't scold or charge them more to fix the mess. I got holiday bonuses from some of my older customers. I also sent cards of thanks. I did free cleanups after parties, weddings, funerals, ect. In the winter I not only shoveled and salted their porches, landings and sidewalks, I would sweep them also. I even would get their mail from the mailbox for them. I had customers that would call me at all hours and always I said was happy they called, and how can I help them, usually older folks. After awhile I had other people doing the hard work and I payed them very well. I did not have all new trucks, trailers, mowers, ect. I had my own above ground bulk fuel tanks, cheaper by the gallon that way, bulk engine oil and 2 cycle oil by the case. I never had to worry about the bank coming to repo my trucks. If I could not pay cash/check, then I didn't get a new or used truck. I had trucks that were 20 years old, new paint or new motor got me by. My equipment, mowers, trucks, trailers, tractor, roller, sprayers, ect. were always clean and the same color with my logo on the sides. If it rained I had my workers fix things, work on equipment, powerwash things. That way they had a good check at the end of the week. I had a good customer base and I did whatever I had to to keep them. That didn't always work, but I tried. I still sent cards to keep my name in their minds. I think if you give the customer their moneys worth the other guys can't take them from you. But thats just me.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

You guys are unbelievable! Just look at you throwing **** at each other!

Just charge what YOU need to charge. If you have that fancy zero turn and all, well you are going to have to charge more! I will be honest, I did some big mistakes when I first started. I was about 16. I just wanted yards to mow, easy money with only an electric trimmer and cheap mower which I still have and works fine. Thing is, I still have some of these clients. I am gradually raising my prices tho and I have now learned to be firm with my customers when it comes to pricing. I am now 19 and have full commercial equipment, liscence, business cards, website and all the pro stuff. Even shirts. I am proud to do what I do. I know what I am doing and work well. I stay in school, because I know education is very important and I am not sure I want to do this all my life. If I end up stopping all of this well I will have some fancy tools to take care of my yard later on. Them low ballers will always be there. I get them once in a while and I don't even care. I just tell them my price and if they are not happy, they can just walk away and get a cheaper price and get a ****** job. They will learn.

exotion

exotion

Houses are easy to replace... If someone lowballs and your customer moves on well then that customer probably was not a very good loyal customer anyway. If someone takes a house I can replace it threefold being firm on my pricing. This is one reason I like doing residential over commercial let the low ballers do there thing they are either going to sink or swim but that's not your problem.

You are making it your problem because why? They are invading your neighborhood? Because they think they can do it cheaper.. they probably can. Because they aren't licenced? That's their problem. Charge what you want to charge no less. The right people will pay you and you are not going to lose out

Carscw

Carscw

OK OK If you say so you must be right.Free gov. cell phones are Obama's fault. You are right, I'm wrong. Will that shut you up on that. If you are doing a good job and your customers are happy,why are you so against someone charging less then you. If they go to your customers and try to take them and if they do take them, your customers must not be happy with your work. This so called "low balling" is nothing new, I had customers taken from me, but I would talk to the customer and ask what I could do to get them back. If they still went with the other person must of the time I would get them back after the new company made a mess of things. Then I knew the customer was mine forever, then I now knew my work was fair for the money. I didn't scold or charge them more to fix the mess. I got holiday bonuses from some of my older customers. I also sent cards of thanks. I did free cleanups after parties, weddings, funerals, ect. In the winter I not only shoveled and salted their porches, landings and sidewalks, I would sweep them also. I even would get their mail from the mailbox for them. I had customers that would call me at all hours and always I said was happy they called, and how can I help them, usually older folks. After awhile I had other people doing the hard work and I payed them very well. I did not have all new trucks, trailers, mowers, ect. I had my own above ground bulk fuel tanks, cheaper by the gallon that way, bulk engine oil and 2 cycle oil by the case. I never had to worry about the bank coming to repo my trucks. If I could not pay cash/check, then I didn't get a new or used truck. I had trucks that were 20 years old, new paint or new motor got me by. My equipment, mowers, trucks, trailers, tractor, roller, sprayers, ect. were always clean and the same color with my logo on the sides. If it rained I had my workers fix things, work on equipment, powerwash things. That way they had a good check at the end of the week. I had a good customer base and I did whatever I had to to keep them. That didn't always work, but I tried. I still sent cards to keep my name in their minds. I think if you give the customer their moneys worth the other guys can't take them from you. But thats just me.

Did not read this whole book you just wrote bit if you read back to what I said.

People call them Obama phones even tho he had nothing to do with them.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

I honestly could care less when the first cell phone was given out. Its an upside down triangle power people at the top spending money of the tax payer.

More I've respect for what you've accomplished in the green industry. We could all most likely learn a lifetime of knowledge from your experience.
What am saying is low ballers are a hassle. Ironically enough I had the chance rub shoulders with one tonight.
I'm pulling into my last stop of the evening. I notice some guys preparing to unload in the middle of a round about. Instead of waiting for me to get around their rig they proceeded to take notice of me stopped at this point and just unloaded as much riddled pieces as they could. Once the path was clear I progressed around them to the curb side put my cones out and to service the yard across from them. All the while I was legally parked and not hap hazardly in the middle of a round about. I did pay them the courtesy little wave nodded my head while squeezing my rig through.

So I'm running my walk behind and one comes over. Couldn't tell by his rough appearance what was about to happen. To my surprise it was fairly friendly. His blow took a crap and he was asking to use mine. I told him I would just get it for him. So I did he was greatful. They had done a horrible rushed job with the now but I didn't comment. I just ask how much they where getting I won't disclose that figure but it was a fifth of what we charge for the similar yard right acrossish. I just nodded told him if charged a little more he would be able to maintain and afford some back up equipment. He looked confused, but his name was litteraly duct taped poster board on the side of his truck. Shortly after his customer came over and ask why the lawn we done looked so different I explained it a little and told him I charge way more then your guy. All he said was he'd be calling. So yes I feel animosity toward these kinds of lowballers. I kept my thoughts in but they want mean mug then come crawling over with their hands out when they want something.

gfp55

gfp55

TaskForceLawnCare I understand how you feel about "lowballers" ,but you might be getting a new customer because of their poor work. People see how you handle yourself, how you do good work, you being careful where you park and all. It sounds like the work done on the two yards was like night and day as far as quality and people see that. Now you were much nicer then I would have been to the competition, but I wasn't there to feel things out. It sounds like these guys are from south of the border? Am I right?

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare I understand how you feel about "lowballers" ,but you might be getting a new customer because of their poor work. People see how you handle yourself, how you do good work, you being careful where you park and all. It sounds like the work done on the two yards was like night and day as far as quality and people see that. Now you were much nicer then I would have been to the competition, but I wasn't there to feel things out. It sounds like these guys are from south of the border? Am I right?

Actually you would think that but they where a couple white thuggish types. It was day night but either way they can stick with the thuggish fellas or just continue to envy the view out their front windows. We treat the house I was at as well. I give them a touch of wet application iron on the lawn tonight just to separate it a little more on that side of the road.

exotion

exotion

Actually you would think that but they where a couple white thuggish types. It was day night but either way they can stick with the thuggish fellas or just continue to envy the view out their front windows. We treat the house I was at as well. I give them a touch of wet application iron on the lawn tonight just to separate it a little more on that side of the road.

I do that to. I use an organic low nitrogen fertilizer with iron makes it about 3 shades greener in a week. I only put about 5 pounds on 2000sqft but it works nice I think its a 10-4-5 with iron and sulfer just makes my yards stand out that much more. Another big one and it seems like I'm the only one who does it around here because of all the pine needles I clean my customers half of the street and weedeat the weeds on the curb line down and carefully edge you can be 2 blocks down the road and spot my lawns

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

We mechanically edge all our yards that we can. It does make a huge difference. Not only does it help your name but also justifies your price. My stance with the low ballers that Ric was discussing still stands.

BHLC

BHLC

They're cutting with scissors! Ohh! And dull ones at that!

BHLC

BHLC

Did I really see see that, LOL....Yes I seriously seen that. I couldn't make up something that ridiculous. It was on there advertisements or flyers they hanging on doors all over the place. They also have a site you can view it on but I wont post it or there name here but I can PM you the site if you like? I just really like the last section where it says: 1. Simply tell us when you want us to start 2. Select your package 3. Pay online to begin service:

Pm me! I'd love to see the site!

Ric

Ric

One of the latest ads on Craiglist.

Lawn Service as low as $10.00 a cut that's
Mow weedeat edge blow off all walkways all
For $10.00 I also trim bushes and shrubs for
$5.00 a shrub/bush.I offer monthly service
As low as $40.00 and that's mow weedeat edge
Blow off all walkways and trim all bushes/
Shrubs. I also do Landscaping and hauling and
Tree Trimming. If you need any of the Services
I've listed please call me at show contact info Robert
Please leave message with name and number And
I'll Return your call.Thank You and have a great day
!!!!!SAME DAY SERVICE!!!!!

exotion

exotion

Well they prolly figure they are making 10 bucks an hour as if they had a job and can be happy with it. Guess they forgot about overhead

Ric

Ric

Well they prolly figure they are making 10 bucks an hour as if they had a job and can be happy with it. Guess they forgot about overhead

When he offers a monthly service as low as $40.00 and it includes mow trim edge blow off all walkways and trim all bushes/Shrubs there's no way he can be making any money. I'd guess it's costing him money.

jay stortini

jay stortini

That is insane:/ does not even make sense
He won't last long trying that. He can't know what he or she is getting into.
Maybe it's a fake add?

Carscw

Carscw

Maybe he gets free gas

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

I just read first and last couple of pages of this topic and I can say is, you guys that are true professionals I know it sucks and really scorches your butts with those ridiculous adds and pricing from a bunch of half-arse wannabes trying to take away from your lively hood, but just remember to keep up the professionalism and the wannabes will be gone soon.
Equipment failures will be the death of those wannabes, funny finding this topic today there looked like a half-arse bunch drove by today with a trailer ready to fall apart and equipment on it I would not even own let alone try to have a business plus they had a cardboard sign taped to the drivers side door of a truck. :laughing:

Ric

Ric

That is insane:/ does not even make sense
He won't last long trying that. He can't know what he or she is getting into.
Maybe it's a fake add?

Well if it's a fake there's a whole lot of fakes, Here's another. I omitted the name at the end, but these type ads are all over the place.

Lawn getting out of hand? No time to mow it your self . Tired of your current lawn service not showing up? Lawns cut , trimmed ,edged and blown off starting at $10.(FREE ESTIMATES) No matter how tall or thick it is its the same price .In most cases call today its mowed today! Don't pay those large company prices or the lease on others equipment! Call or Text

Carscw

Carscw

Here is a guy wanting someone to cut his yard.
Now the bidding will start someone will say $15

image-2390924263.jpg

B

bturner032002

Im just starting out but my minimum is $25. I dont care if the entire lawn fits under the deck and im in and out in 30 seconds its $25.

I picked up four accounts in the last month because the previous guys stop showing up. Im guessing their mowers died.

exotion

exotion

That's where I set my minimum $25 is fair for all the things I do. Weedeating, edging, mowing, blowing and free fertilizer. Fertilizer is an investment and a bribe to keep the customers water.

The only exceptions to my minimum are 2 customers who have a small front yard directly next door to a current customer $10-$15 makes a 20 min stop a 25 min stop but increases the stop price quite a bit. And my father in law has an average lawn I do for $15 a week I was not going to charge him but he told me to stop coming unless I did lol

exotion

exotion

New trend in the world of craigslisters... The lowballers are now.flagging the competitions advertisments lol lameasses

Fish

Fish

What is amazing is that you guys are throwing out prices that I was giving back in the early 1980s, and I was the "lowballer" back then. I was dealing with grandmas that went through the depression too! If the prices are still at that low level, thank god I got out of it!!!!!

Hell, costs me $10 in fuel for me to go to town and mail my E-bay stuff and back!!!!!

Carscw

Carscw

What is amazing is that you guys are throwing out prices that I was giving back in the early 1980s, and I was the "lowballer" back then. I was dealing with grandmas that went through the depression too! If the prices are still at that low level, thank god I got out of it!!!!! Hell, costs me $10 in fuel for me to go to town and mail my E-bay stuff and back!!!!!

You need something better on gas.
Last month gas cost me $2.05 a yard
Truck, mowers , trimmers , 2 stoke oil.
Maintenance on all equipment. Oil, blades , belts , filters $0.83 per yard

exotion

exotion

Gas is about $1.50 a yard maintenance is apx $0.40 a yard I also only run 21" mowers and a fuel efficient Nissan Titan

Carscw

Carscw

Gas is about $1.50 a yard maintenance is apx $0.40 a yard I also only run 21" mowers and a fuel efficient Nissan Titan

I wish I could get down this low.
Last month was a good month I only replaced one set of blades.
Ran two mowers 48 snapper walk behind
And a 42 toro ztr
Drive the v6 trailblazer
Cut 534 yards.

Came in 2nd in a $5000 race got DQed for 3 pounds under weight.

exotion

exotion

Gas for you guys who run bigger stuff is brutal. Seems like that num might go down for me with this new machine :) I gotta do a tune up on my Nissan soon to. 02 sensor is bad causing gas milage to go down

jekjr

jekjr

My Cummins in my 2500 Dodge averages about 12.3 MPG. I run from $15 to $20 a day fuel on my ZD326 Kubota. Normally there is a blade change every day for the 326 as well. We don't run the ZG222 as much but it will use about the same $15 to $20 per day as well. Then there are all of the taxes and fees and of course insurance..... I do not see how people can cut grass for that little amount.

exotion

exotion

That's why I like my minimum of $25 about 5ish is overhead per lawn. Less if clients live close I only run my 21" and my 2 cycle equipment I go through about 5-6 gallons of gas a week for my equipment and I put about $50 in my truck per week. That's about $65 a week in gas %15 is taxes. I make on average $1750 a week -$65 is $1685 -%15 is about $200 ish so $1500 a week maintenance is pretty small not worth the math.

So that's why $25 a week works for me. Now if I priced all my houses at $10 I would make about $180 a day I would make $900 a week -$65so $845 - %15 is about $100 making my weekly total $700

$700 is respectable but not favorable that's about what I was making working for someone else. Now like I mentioned earlier my over head is quite low and I own all my equipment and truck.

Ric

Ric

I really don't believe this one, I did remove the name

NO GIMMICKS LAWNS STARTING AT $10 (Regency/Embassy)

ゥ craigslist - Map data

No gimmicks . lawns cut in Embassy/Regency area starting at $10 includes mowing ,edging ,trimming and blowing .We are a new lawn service with 25 years experience in the area residential and commercial .We are looking to grow with you .one time ,weekly ,bi-weekly or monthly call....

B

bfleming98

I would not sweat the $10 cuts too much. There is no way those guys can sustain that. They will quit or have to raise prices.

Bryan

http://www.lawncarebusinesstips.com

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Yea, 10$ for a cut is real nasty. I've seen a few around here. I can't put the add that I found, because it is in French. His prices start at 200$ for a full season (about 23 cuts). How can one make money off that? That is less than 10$ a cut!!!

I've done some calculations to see how much one lawn cost me to do. I even calculated amortization of my mower, trimmer and blower and gas. I think it summed up to about 2-3$, but amortization is a little useless since my equipment pays itself very quickly. I price my lawns according too how much I want to make per hour. Around here lawns are not that big. I can do them all with my Ybravo 21".

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

Those low ballers are clowns. I wouldn't service your lawn for $10. If it was on one of my routes and close to another lawn we service I would stop a truck in front of your house for 5 minutes for $10 though.

C

CZLawnCare

Yea, 10$ for a cut is real nasty. I've seen a few around here. I can't put the add that I found, because it is in French. His prices start at 200$ for a full season (about 23 cuts). How can one make money off that? That is less than 10$ a cut!!! I've done some calculations to see how much one lawn cost me to do. I even calculated amortization of my mower, trimmer and blower and gas. I think it summed up to about 2-3$, but amortization is a little useless since my equipment pays itself very quickly. I price my lawns according too how much I want to make per hour. Around here lawns are not that big. I can do them all with my Ybravo 21".[/QUOTE
Hi, are you by any chance talking about jr et fils. He is the biggest lowballer in our area, he will travel to evey corner of the province for less than i would charge my neighbor

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Yea, 10$ for a cut is real nasty. I've seen a few around here. I can't put the add that I found, because it is in French. His prices start at 200$ for a full season (about 23 cuts). How can one make money off that? That is less than 10$ a cut!!! I've done some calculations to see how much one lawn cost me to do. I even calculated amortization of my mower, trimmer and blower and gas. I think it summed up to about 2-3$, but amortization is a little useless since my equipment pays itself very quickly. I price my lawns according too how much I want to make per hour. Around here lawns are not that big. I can do them all with my Ybravo 21".[/QUOTE
Hi, are you by any chance talking about jr et fils. He is the biggest lowballer in our area, he will travel to evey corner of the province for less than i would charge my neighbor

No, it is SMP... We also have another low baller in town.
I did see jr et fils on Kijiji, he is real cheap charging 330$ for a full season. Check your PM, I sent you one a while back...

@ Taskforce. That is true. 10$ is very low, but if it is right beside another client that you have and the yard is real small and takes you barely 10 minutes, well that isn't so bad. Just scoot along with the mower to that yard, but 10$ per cut for a full size yard (3000 square feet) is ridiculous!

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

Most yards in my operating area are well over 3k square feet. We don't mow much in town. 99% of what we service is in subdivisions or HOA's. I've set my companies minimum at $35 for a stop. That's even if its just 300 sqr ft if they don't like our price no hard feelings. You can hire the guy with a push mower working out of the trunk of his car. Maybe they are insured and do quality work if they are and do I'm happy for them

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Most yards in my operating area are well over 3k square feet. We don't mow much in town. 99% of what we service is in subdivisions or HOA's. I've set my companies minimum at $35 for a stop. That's even if its just 300 sqr ft if they don't like our price no hard feelings. You can hire the guy with a push mower working out of the trunk of his car. Maybe they are insured and do quality work if they are and do I'm happy for them

Yea, that 35$ minimum seems popular, but around here if I were to do that, I wouldn't have many clients. Even tho I am young, I charge a fair price. I may not have a big truck and trailer, but I have very good equipment to mow lawns and I do a very good job and that comes with a price. I explain to my clients that they not only pay for mowing, but service. They can find cheaper, but it might not be as good. Many of my clients that dealt with previous companies had that problem. The person would not come, or mow real bad. I come every week, and phone/text if ever I can't come (heavy rain, grass is to dry, etc.).

jekjr

jekjr

Yea, that 35$ minimum seems popular, but around here if I were to do that, I wouldn't have many clients. Even tho I am young, I charge a fair price. I may not have a big truck and trailer, but I have very good equipment to mow lawns and I do a very good job and that comes with a price. I explain to my clients that they not only pay for mowing, but service. They can find cheaper, but it might not be as good. Many of my clients that dealt with previous companies had that problem. The person would not come, or mow real bad. I come every week, and phone/text if ever I can't come (heavy rain, grass is to dry, etc.).

We try to do $35 minimum. I do have one small trailer park lot that we cut for $25. We pass right by it though all of the time so it is only a matter of stopping and cutting it and loading back up....... We could not drive any distance and come out ahead doing it.

H

hunter5567

How long is your cutting season where y'all cut?
I work in Baton Rouge, LA and the growing season is at least 9 if not 10 months out of the year with touch ups in the winter. I could get leaf yards in the fall since the trees around here drop sporadically and all winter long. I usually charge a minimum of $25/yard and that's for a garden home lot on a zero lot line on the right and left of the house, small patch in the front and back. It takes longer to weedeat, edge, and blow.
I do have some larger yards that might be an acre to cut in grass and I'll charge $75 for those. I mostly specialize in medium to small residential yards and don't have to carry insurance for those. The most damage I have done was with a weedeater were it slung a rock through a plate glass window that cost me $500 to replace but I would have had to pay that anyways with a $500 deductible on the insurance coverage.
I was doing the homeowner a favor by weed-eating weeds in the flower beds when that occurred and which is not covered in basic lawn service. No good deed goes unpunished, lol !! I keep it sprayed now.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Around here, 35$ would be very hard to get for a yard of small size (only done with a 21"). I charge that sometimes for larger yards that take me longuer to do (1/4 acre).

It has been told on the radio that the average price for lawn maintenance is 400$ for a full season (23 cuts). I know, that is low, but it is what the market is at. I try to go above that and I do achieve that by charging 25$ for a yard. To each there market I guess. I aim .80 cents a minute (50$/hour). Then again, not all parts of town have the same revenue.

A season here of lawn maintenance is 6 month. Start mowing in May and in October (sometimes, November) and after that it is leaf clean ups until mid/end november)

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

If you as the an actual professional running an established business aren't setting the price whatever it is in your area. Then the low ballers are winning, they are driving the entire market down for your area. Stay firm on your price and sell reliable service and quality. I realize there's no one perfect answer for low ballers. So I can only speak for how I work around low ballers. Most are dead beats working for beer money or whatever. Some are new comers that are still trying to figure out things and get a few customers. I just stand on my pricing and offer the take it or leave it, but let the customer know what the risks are of hiring a LCO that gave them a half or lower quote.

Carscw

Carscw

I bid a cleanup and mow on a yard at $250
Guy called me says he got 3 other bids for $50. $80. $100. And that my price was to high

That was a month ago after 1 no show and two broke mowers he called me back.
I really did not even want to do it because the guy went with the guys that bid way to low so I upped my price to $350.

He asked why my price was a lot higher then the other guys.

Duh because they really can not do the job and I can.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

If you as the an actual professional running an established business aren't setting the price whatever it is in your area. Then the low ballers are winning, they are driving the entire market down for your area. Stay firm on your price and sell reliable service and quality. I realize there's no one perfect answer for low ballers. So I can only speak for how I work around low ballers. Most are dead beats working for beer money or whatever. Some are new comers that are still trying to figure out things and get a few customers. I just stand on my pricing and offer the take it or leave it, but let the customer know what the risks are of hiring a LCO that gave them a half or lower quote.

Exacly! My prices are according to me and I don't care about the others. I offer very good service and if you want cheaper go somewhere else, I don't care. I will always have customers ready to pay my price for good servce.

Just this year this lady asked me my price. I told her and she was interested. When mowing season started, she never phoned and what do I see at her house? A cavy, with a guy smoking on the side of the street with a Toro residential mower with a beaten up and tuck tapped bag. I understood exacly what had happened. A lowballer.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I bid a cleanup and mow on a yard at $250
Guy called me says he got 3 other bids for $50. $80. $100. And that my price was to high

That was a month ago after 1 no show and two broke mowers he called me back.
I really did not even want to do it because the guy went with the guys that bid way to low so I upped my price to $350.

He asked why my price was a lot higher then the other guys.

Duh because they really can not do the job and I can.

Lol! What kind of people live in GA to not be able to mow a lawn correctly or have a decent rider? How long did the job take you in the end?

Carscw

Carscw

Lol! What kind of people live in GA to not be able to mow a lawn correctly or have a decent rider? How long did the job take you in the end?

Took me and my wife almost 2 hours.

Lots of sticks and leaves.

Easy work for the toro grounds master.

One if the guys thought his riding mower would chop up sticks.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Took me and my wife almost 2 hours.

Lots of sticks and leaves.

Easy work for the toro grounds master.

One if the guys thought his riding mower would chop up sticks.

250$ for almost 2 hours of work is some real good money.
Anyways, that guy must be real lost when it comes to mowers. You can't cut sticks all over the place with a rider...
Do you mean Toro Zero turn? A grounds master is the real mower for golf courses...

Carscw

Carscw

250$ for almost 2 hours of work is some real good money. Anyways, that guy must be real lost when it comes to mowers. You can't cut sticks all over the place with a rider... Do you mean Toro Zero turn? A grounds master is the real mower for golf courses...

Grounds master 72

You are thinking about a toro greens master.

Carscw

Carscw

The grounds master
Is 4wd. Rear wheel steering.

H

hunter5567

Any of those large machines should be $100/hr machines considering it's like 2 people working at one time.
I've made $175/hr with me and the wife working and using a snapper 21" and cutting garden homes. That's cutting 7 in a row and me doing the weedeating, edging, and blowing. Each yard might have 6-800 sq. ft. of grass to mow. You can't get any bigger equipment in there and make it to the backyard.

yardworketc

yardworketc

$12 might fit a yard that is 100 sq ft. Hah, hah. Prices like that are crazy of course. I haven't seen that. Is it possible to show a customer why that makes no sense unless the person is a kid borrowing the Dad's mower next door. Let them now it is all about keeping their place looking good regularly and for many years...not a fly by night gone by day approach? Anyone have any success with an approach similar to this at all?

Dave
Yardwork Etc

H

hunter5567

I don't try to explain nothing. I don't want those cheap *** clients to begin with. There are plenty more not to have to bother with those and they will find out the hard way.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

The grounds master
Is 4wd. Rear wheel steering.

I forgot you had one of those. What is so special about it to do that kind of work if you don't mind me asking.

Carscw

Carscw

I forgot you had one of those. What is so special about it to do that kind of work if you don't mind me asking.

The grounds master is a Industrial mower.
It is built for heavy duty abuse. Mostly used on a golf course.
It is not going to give you the best cut as it is not a finish mower.

Mine is a 1992 model I use it to clear under brush.
Has a 3cyl kubota engine.
The rear wheel steering is perfect for very steep hills.
You just can not break this thing. The 72 inch deck weighs close to 200 pounds.

It's like taking a pull behind bush hog and mounting on the front of a tractor.

Parkmower

Parkmower

The grounds master is a Industrial mower.
It is built for heavy duty abuse. Mostly used on a golf course.
It is not going to give you the best cut as it is not a finish mower.

Mine is a 1992 model I use it to clear under brush.
Has a 3cyl kubota engine.
The rear wheel steering is perfect for very steep hills.
You just can not break this thing. The 72 inch deck weighs close to 200 pounds.

It's like taking a pull behind bush hog and mounting on the front of a tractor.

What model do you have? I used 345, 327 gassers and 328 diesels for years.

Carscw

Carscw

328d
I would like a 455D

Parkmower

Parkmower

328d
I would like a 455D

That's a bat wing16' cut, correct?

Carscw

Carscw

That's a bat wing16' cut, correct?

One I was looked at was 11 foot Bat wing.

I really do not have a need for something this big.
Thought about putting a bid on 2 welcome centers on interstate 75

Parkmower

Parkmower

One I was looked at was 11 foot Bat wing.

I really do not have a need for something this big.
Thought about putting a bid on 2 welcome centers on interstate 75

Unless you have a lot of open acreage it's way over kill. We use bat wing on some of our really large open facilities. I mow about 100 acres a week using 72"

B

Batt4Christ

How can they make any money at $10 bucks including trim and blow? Seriously? With gasoline back pushing $4 per gallon - exactly what is a person's time worth? WOW!

B

Batt4Christ

...and a fuel efficient Nissan Titan

LOLOLOL I use to have one of those "fuel efficient Nissan Titans".... That is an oxymoron if I ever heard one! I liked that truck a lot, but man did it have an appetite for gas!

exotion

exotion

LOLOLOL I use to have one of those "fuel efficient Nissan Titans".... That is an oxymoron if I ever heard one! I liked that truck a lot, but man did it have an appetite for gas!

... I average 18 pulling a trailer 20 not...

Carscw

Carscw

I do not Believe you.
just kidding

I get the same in my trailblazer.

P

Pumper54

Interesting reading here.
Couple of years ago I talked to a guy out of Dallas who had a mowing business and charged 21 bucks a yard. He was retired and had his son in law running the business with the first 200 bucks a week going to pay for the business and anything after that going to the SnL and crew. He said the ONLY reason he charged so little is he wanted to run the illegal alien crews out of the area. He made enough each week to pay off the equipment and pay a crew of U.S. citizens a pretty good money.
Down here the illegals will gang hit a yard with about 5-6 guys and knock a 1/4 acre yard out in about 15 minutes, cut (ZTMs), trim edges and blow and move on. But they don't clean off the equipment and have spread lawn diseases throughout whole subdivision.

You all have a great day
Tom

exotion

exotion

I do not Believe you.
just kidding

Lol driving habbits are the best way to get mpg lol. I drove my old jeep for years averaged 22-25 the whole time. My wife wonders why she gets 15-18. I don't have the guts to tell her lol don't insult the woman's driving!

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Interesting reading here.
Couple of years ago I talked to a guy out of Dallas who had a mowing business and charged 21 bucks a yard. He was retired and had his son in law running the business with the first 200 bucks a week going to pay for the business and anything after that going to the SnL and crew. He said the ONLY reason he charged so little is he wanted to run the illegal alien crews out of the area. He made enough each week to pay off the equipment and pay a crew of U.S. citizens a pretty good money.
Down here the illegals will gang hit a yard with about 5-6 guys and knock a 1/4 acre yard out in about 15 minutes, cut (ZTMs), trim edges and blow and move on. But they don't clean off the equipment and have spread lawn diseases throughout whole subdivision.

You all have a great day
Tom

Very interesting. It isn't how much you make, but how you spend it.

Ric

Ric

Yeah but what do you pull? You don't or can't have but 150lbs in mowers, I mean how much does a Honda mower weigh. :smile:

Ric

Ric

I do not Believe you.
just kidding

I get 18 with my crew cab F-150. :smile:

Carscw

Carscw

I get 18 with my crew cab F-150. :smile:

Is that with a chevy pulling it or pushing it.

Sorry I had to.

My Mercury Mountaineer got 19
Engine went out at over 350,000 miles

My dodge on a good day might get 12

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

I get around 30 mpg combined. Well if you count the chevy 2500 gasser averages 15 and the F350 diesel gets 15 mpg. Both with 18' trailers and 3 mowers.

We have the immigrant crews but they don't seem to do well in the area I operate in. Call it what you want but the customers in my area prefer English speaking crews. To my customers anyway they are more concerned about image and they'll pay for a clean cut well dressed nice trucks out front with clean equipment.

gfp55

gfp55

So whats the latest news with the lowballers? Are there any still around? Any more or less in your area? Have they raised their prices, or have they dropped off the map?

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

So whats the latest news with the lowballers? Are there any still around? Any more or less in your area? Have they raised their prices, or have they dropped off the map?

They kinda don't come and mow. You know, charge next to nothing and mow just a few times to make some money. Around here it is a price for a full season. So, if they come and mow every 2-3 weeks instead of each week, the can pocket the money.

B

bls36

Low ballers still around here charging $15 per cut.

Wildcat

Wildcat

I've never noticed if we have low ballers or not. I'm too busy handling my work load let alone worry about low ballers. If they are in my area, I assume they are the neighborhood kids who are looking for some quick cash.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Low ballers still around here charging $15 per cut.

And that's for all lawns-- big or small.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I've never noticed if we have low ballers or not. I'm too busy handling my work load let alone worry about low ballers. If they are in my area, I assume they are the neighborhood kids who are looking for some quick cash.

And they do a sloppy job, too.

exotion

exotion

Not really there is a kid down the street. I let him use some spare equipment srm225, old toro mower, old echo blower and a black rubbermaid bucket. I charge him $1 a lawn for rental fees (yes I don't make money but glad to help him i still gotta maintain these things) I showed him some tricks and how I do stuff he pushes the stuff around and does a fantastic job I think he charges $15 a lawn he does about 20 lawns a week good moneys for him

B

bls36

The guy around is an older guy. He runs ads in the paper saying $15 per lawn. I don't really pay attention to him until I get one of his customers wanting me to charge $10 a cut and I just give him a look like I don't think so. This guy does not trim or blow anything and shows up when ever he wants to.

Ric

Ric

And that's for all lawns-- big or small.

Everybody keeps throwing out this $15 a cut figure. I have lawns that I charge $15 a cut for and I have Lawns I get $30 to $40 a cut for and any where in between. What I charge depends on a number of factors and I do Vets for free.

Ric

Ric

The guy around is an older guy. He runs ads in the paper saying $15 per lawn. I don't really pay attention to him until I get one of his customers wanting me to charge $10 a cut and I just give him a look like I don't think so. This guy does not trim or blow anything and shows up when ever he wants to.

What you're describing sounds like an old guy trying to make ends meet the best way he can. That's what happens here in these trailer parks. They live there and charge cheap because everyone there is in the same boat with a fixed income and can't afford a real service.

gfp55

gfp55

Not really there is a kid down the street. I let him use some spare equipment srm225, old toro mower, old echo blower and a black rubbermaid bucket. I charge him $1 a lawn for rental fees (yes I don't make money but glad to help him i still gotta maintain these things) I showed him some tricks and how I do stuff he pushes the stuff around and does a fantastic job I think he charges $15 a lawn he does about 20 lawns a week good moneys for him
It's nice to hear that there are some good folks in this mean world, that's very big of you. Your teaching that kid things that will be with him for the rest of his life. Very nice.

Fish

Fish

Damn lowballers/sodbusters.......

DJlawnboy

It's nice to hear that there are some good folks in this mean world, that's very big of you. Your teaching that kid things that will be with him for the rest of his life. Very nice.
Ditto.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Everybody keeps throwing out this $15 a cut figure. I have lawns that I charge $15 a cut for and I have Lawns I get $30 to $40 a cut for and any where in between. What I charge depends on a number of factors and I do Vets for free.

I do it by the acre for mowing. I charge around $20-25/acre I do the same thing for vets, I do their landscaping for free. And I can't even count how many lawns I get a week.

I also have a division of my company, They charge $15/acre for all lawns, this division is where some of the rookies and high school kids start out. This started about 5 years ago, some of the first people I hired are still with the division, maybe in the next couple years If they stay, I'll promote them to the big landscaping company. Some people I've hired only stay a few months, and they get other jobs somewhere else. Currently this division has 8 employees, 2 trucks, and three trailers. They do vets for free. They get a lot of business too, I'd say about 40 lawns on an average week, 35 lawns on a good week, and 28 on a poor week. But that's just mowing. They have other landscape jobs to do instead of mowing.

jekjr

jekjr

I do it by the acre for mowing. I charge around $20-25/acre I do the same thing for vets, I do their landscaping for free. And I can't even count how many lawns I get a week. I also have a division of my company, They charge $15/acre for all lawns, this division is where some of the rookies and high school kids start out. This started about 5 years ago, some of the first people I hired are still with the division, maybe in the next couple years If they stay, I'll promote them to the big landscaping company. Some people I've hired only stay a few months, and they get other jobs somewhere else. Currently this division has 8 employees, 2 trucks, and three trailers. They do vets for free. They get a lot of business too, I'd say about 40 lawns on an average week, 35 lawns on a good week, and 28 on a poor week. But that's just mowing. They have other landscape jobs to do instead of mowing.

I am curious how you make money cutting grass for $20 an acre. We shoot for $30 to &35 or more unless it is several acres. Just one acre we need $45 or more.

Carscw

Carscw

Was asked to bid a trailer park today.
3 acres 2 acres is wide open just grass 1 acre has 14 trailers.

Looked at it and shot out $200 per cut every other week. Now thinking should have said $300.

I hate bidding jobs like this.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I am curious how you make money cutting grass for $20 an acre. We shoot for $30 to &35 or more unless it is several acres. Just one acre we need $45 or more.

My business is a combined home improvement/landscaping business. We specialize in home improvement (remodels ,roofing, installation, insulation, carpentry, concrete, painting, decks, docks, etc) property care, and landscaping. You can make some good money in home improvement business. I make WAY more $ than people think. I don't just cut grass all day. And if it takes an hour or more to mow, it's an additional $10/acre. I mow at $15/acre small lawns and $20/acre large lawns. Some lawns are several acres, and take over an hour to do. Some lawns are small or average sized and can sometimes take an hour or more. Most of our customers are residential, but lots of are customers are commercial and industrial (chain stores, supermarkets, businesses, etc, and the lots are big.) Add blowing, trimming, stuff like that and it all adds up. I even have plant care contracts, some just gardens and greenhouses, and others can be hay fields and corn fields.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Looked at it and shot out $200 per cut every other week. Now thinking should have said $300.

Depends on the trimming. That could be 50$/acre with 1 hour of trimming which would be good, but if you have to trim around each trailer and there gardens, entrances and such, it will probably take more time.

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

it's a tough one but it sounds like you bid it right. if it only takes you a couple hours you did alright at $200. I feel your pain brother its hard to bid something like that because there's so many variables. good luck I hope it works out

TaskForceLawnCare

TaskForceLawnCare

I do it by the acre for mowing. I charge around $20-25/acre I do the same thing for vets, I do their landscaping for free. And I can't even count how many lawns I get a week.

I also have a division of my company, They charge $15/acre for all lawns, this division is where some of the rookies and high school kids start out. This started about 5 years ago, some of the first people I hired are still with the division, maybe in the next couple years If they stay, I'll promote them to the big landscaping company. Some people I've hired only stay a few months, and they get other jobs somewhere else. Currently this division has 8 employees, 2 trucks, and three trailers. They do vets for free. They get a lot of business too, I'd say about 40 lawns on an average week, 35 lawns on a good week, and 28 on a poor week. But that's just mowing. They have other landscape jobs to do instead of mowing.

I'm a vet send them by my place man I need some landscaping and I'll let them mow my yard to lol. all jokes aside doing that for veterans is a pretty cool thing you've going on. where are you based out of

Ric

Ric

I stay away from bidding jobs, I stay strictly Residential. Give them a price and they take or they leave it.

exotion

exotion

I stay away from bidding jobs, I stay strictly Residential. Give them a price and they take or they leave it.

Heck ya I have bid a few places but I would rather stay with ressy

Carscw

Carscw

I do a used car lot and a office next to it. owned by the same guy. ( he is 78)

He lives on 8 acres that he cuts.

There is a double wide in one corner that he rents. The renter cuts the whole 8 acres for $50 leaves clipping everywhere.
He uses the owners 60 inch exmark.
He is moving this month.

I told him I would do it for $250.
To include trimming and edging that I already do for him for $50
He wants me to do it all using his mower for $50

After explaining to him that I could do more then $200 worth of yards in the 4 hours it takes to do his. He said ok to $200

Land is flat and smooth.

Really do not want to cut his 8 acres but he has got me a lot if work from his friends.

Carscw

Carscw

Did not get the trailer park.
Guy with a snapper 28 inch rer is doing it for $75.

Carscw

Carscw

I am down to only two days a week on the foreclosed yards. Dec 1st will be the end of all that. To much running around.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I am down to only two days a week on the foreclosed yards. Dec 1st will be the end of all that. To much running around.

Good idea! They are ****** yards also.

What are you gonna do next? Get more clients.

Carscw

Carscw

Good idea! They are ****** yards also. What are you gonna do next? Get more clients.

I have almost as much as I want.

Going to just work 5 days a week next year

jekjr

jekjr

You not going to keep doing Safeguard work?

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I have almost as much as I want.

Going to just work 5 days a week next year

Good idea! I aim to work 5 days a week also. People need to rest! I have talked to a business man that worked a lot and made a lot, but he told me that if he had to start over, he would work only 5 days a week. I don't mind working weekends if I have too. Especially in May and June when the demand is high for many extra work.

Ric

Ric

Good idea! I aim to work 5 days a week also. People need to rest! I have talked to a business man that worked a lot and made a lot, but he told me that if he had to start over, he would work only 5 days a week. I don't mind working weekends if I have too. Especially in May and June when the demand is high for many extra work.

Trying to work 5 days a week is easy, just doing it Monday through Friday is the hard job. Between the rain and holidays I still end up working on weekends.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Trying to work 5 days a week is easy, just doing it Monday through Friday is the hard job. Between the rain and holidays I still end up working on weekends.

I get thru quite good. What I do is sometimes work 12-13 hours to lighten the next day if I know that it will rain. Right now, on Monday it is a holiday, but it is gonna rain on Tuesady. I can't just take Monday off and skip Tuesday. I will be 2 days overdue.

Try working, going to classes at the end of the day and study. I hate it!

exotion

exotion

I work 5 days a week. Mon-Fri I work holidays and its rare i get rained out. Everyone expects me on a certain day

Ric

Ric

I get thru quite good. What I do is sometimes work 12-13 hours to lighten the next day if I know that it will rain. Right now, on Monday it is a holiday, but it is gonna rain on Tuesady. I can't just take Monday off and skip Tuesday. I will be 2 days overdue.

Try working, going to classes at the end of the day and study. I hate it!

Well don't feel like a lone stranger I'm working Monday also, if not it will put me 12 lawns behind and I'm not going there. I hate playing catch-up.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Well don't feel like a lone stranger I'm working Monday also, if not it will put me 12 lawns behind and I'm not going there. I hate playing catch-up.

I feel for you! Do you have a holiday on Monday in FL?

Carscw

Carscw

I only did 3 today on my way to a cookout.
That was canceled.

Will do 4 tomorrow on my way to pick the kids up.

M

Mad Mackie

Quick story about a lowballer. New customer called me several years ago, two properties, as it turned out I had to mow with serious collection and customer would call me when he wanted it mowed. One property had a septic system too close to the surface and I wouldn't get very close to it with my machine, customer and I came to a disagreement and we departed company, I did get paid what I had asked for and went to the bank ASAP!!!
A year or so later I was passing by this place and saw a cherry picker crane, a guy with a wetsuit on and the lowballers new big box store rider sunk in the septic tank!!! I stopped and watched from across the road and an ambulance arrived, the EMT hosed off the lowballer operator and they took him to the hospital. Evidently he got too close to the rusty metal septic tank and along with his brand new $1,500 rider took a coliform bath! Oh well, ---t happens, literally!!! I heard thru the grapevine that he had sued the property owner, never did hear what resulted, but this house did sell after a new septic system was installed and the trees near it were cut down!!! Both properties with new owners are now neat, clean with many nasty bushes and low hanging trees all removed or cut down.
Mad Mackie in CT