Low power and throwing belt

MacLeod

Forum Newbie
Threads
My son hit a branch with our Zero Turn. Said it sounded funny and shut it down. I put the belt back on, but it keeps throwing it. Before it throws the belt, the mower runs, but it seems to be running at half power. The blades are undamaged and spin level and free. The belt seems to be in good condition as the mower is less than a year old. I adjusted the tension on the belt, but it only resulted in holding the belt a little longer. There is some bounce in the belt when its running. I'm not sure how smooth it should be since I have never seen it run with the cover off before. The tensioner seems to be working and the pulleys don't look damaged. 54" Zero Turn Husquavrna with a 23 HP Kawasaki 4 stroke v-twin.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We need you to help us if you want us to help you with anything other than generic information
So lets start with the model & serial off the mowers ID tag that of course you wrote in the space provided in your owner handbook before you read it cover to cover prior to jumping into the seat & turning the key , right ?

MacLeod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply: Sorry for the slow response, a burst pipe took my attention. See below. Let me know if you need anything else.
Model: Z254F
Product: 96795400101
Serial: 030722C062716
HID: 967954001W342022101627168

Engine Info
CODE: FR691V-CS29-R
E/NO: FR691VN34339
Manuf: Kawasaki

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a close look at the spindle that held the blade that got bent
While the 4 jug housings are a lot less prone to breaking than the previous 3 lug ones , they still break
The cracks are hard to see and of course close up when there is no stress on them, then open up when the blades are engaged.
As you have been watching the belt toss off, replace your eyes with a video .
Sit the camera / phone on a brick so it is nice & clear
You can then play it back at 1/2 speed and watch the belt throw off to see exactly where it is happening.
As for the engine, pull the blower housing off & the flywheel bolt to check the timing key.
When something stops the engine abruptly the flywheel can break free of the taper and crack / break the key so the engine is out of time .

T
Being a pressed deck, the deck itself can also bend when you hit tree roots ,
Flip the deck.
Align all blades into a strait line across the deck then run a string line between the outer edges of the blades
If it does not touch both sides of each blade then a blade is bent or the deck is bent or the spindle housing is cracked.
Being a 3 blade deck you need to do this Left to right , left to front & right to front ,

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look for hunks of something in the pulleys.

MacLeod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a close look at the spindle that held the blade that got bent
While the 4 jug housings are a lot less prone to breaking than the previous 3 lug ones , they still break
The cracks are hard to see and of course close up when there is no stress on them, then open up when the blades are engaged.
As you have been watching the belt toss off, replace your eyes with a video .
Sit the camera / phone on a brick so it is nice & clear
You can then play it back at 1/2 speed and watch the belt throw off to see exactly where it is happening.
As for the engine, pull the blower housing off & the flywheel bolt to check the timing key.
When something stops the engine abruptly the flywheel can break free of the taper and crack / break the key so the engine is out of time .

T
Being a pressed deck, the deck itself can also bend when you hit tree roots ,
Flip the deck.
Align all blades into a strait line across the deck then run a string line between the outer edges of the blades
If it does not touch both sides of each blade then a blade is bent or the deck is bent or the spindle housing is cracked.
Being a 3 blade deck you need to do this Left to right , left to front & right to front ,
I took a real good look at the blades and I don't see any damage. I checked the housings close up and I don't see any cracks. The blades are straight across the deck.

I noticed that the belt is rolling on its back. Could this simply be a damaged belt? All I can see is some spots of minor wear, but possibly hitting the stick stretched or twisted it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I took a real good look at the blades and I don't see any damage. I checked the housings close up and I don't see any cracks. The blades are straight across the deck.

I noticed that the belt is rolling on its back. Could this simply be a damaged belt? All I can see is some spots of minor wear, but possibly hitting the stick stretched or twisted it?
Yes
The belt has reinforcing strands that run right round the circumference and if they break on one side that side can stretch so the belt rolls over .
insufficient belt tension makes this worse
And you can break them just by carelessly rolling a belt over a pulley in place of relieving the tension arm pressure & dropping the belt over the tension pulley .