Export thread

Low power after tune-up

M

mjw357

I have an Exmark zero-turn with Kawasaki FX801V engine. Brought it in the garage last fall, all was running perfectly. This winter I changed the oil and filter, fuel filter and the rocker cover gaskets because they were leaking a bit. While I had those off I figured I would check/set the valve clearance.

Went to mow this afternoon, started right up and let warm for a couple minutes before I started.

Wheeled over to the yard, half throttle, turned on PTO to start blades, full throttle. Seemed OK for a few seconds then lost power when I started moving. It just is not making full power/RPM’s with mower engaged.

What’s everyones first thought?

B

bertsmobile1

Double check those valve clearances.
good chance one has opened up & pushrod fallen off .

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Start it up and pull a spark plug wire off of a cylinder, one at a time. If it dies completely with one plug wire off, the other cylinder is dead,probably due to what bert said above.

T

txmowman

I have an Exmark zero-turn with Kawasaki FX801V engine. Brought it in the garage last fall, all was running perfectly. This winter I changed the oil and filter, fuel filter and the rocker cover gaskets because they were leaking a bit. While I had those off I figured I would check/set the valve clearance.

Went to mow this afternoon, started right up and let warm for a couple minutes before I started.

Wheeled over to the yard, half throttle, turned on PTO to start blades, full throttle. Seemed OK for a few seconds then lost power when I started moving. It just is not making full power/RPM’s with mower engaged.

What’s everyones first thought?
What did you set the valve lash to? Did you perform the adjustment properly?

I'm leaning to valve lash set too tight.

B

bertsmobile1

Start it up and pull a spark plug wire off of a cylinder, one at a time. If it dies completely with one plug wire off, the other cylinder is dead,probably due to what bert said above.
I would be inclined to check the pushrods first as that is easy & cheap, if you used a gasket .
However those thin steel pushrods tend to vanish into the engine at the drop of a hat and then it becomes a big expensive job

M

mjw357

Each cylinder brought to TDC,
What did you set the valve lash to? Did you perform the adjustment properly?
Each cylinder brought to TDC, valve clearance set to 0.002" per manual found online. That sounded a bit tight to me, I thought it would be more like 0.004"-0.006".

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Each cylinder brought to TDC, valve clearance set to 0.002" per manual found online. That sounded a bit tight to me, I thought it would be more like 0.004"-0.006".
Start mower and let warm up briefly. Spray water on each exhaust pipe and watch how it vaporizes. Pull the valve cover(s) accordingly and inspect. Something going on with the valves most likely.

T

txmowman

The service spec is .004” - .006”

M

MParr

Valve lash is too tight.

That is definitely TOO tight. That online spec is NOT correct. I spoke to a Kawasaki Tech on my previous Kaw engine about this specifically ...
True spec is .004 - .006. Re-adjust to intakes @ .004 or .005 & Exhausts @ .005 or .006

M

mjw357

UPDATE: opened up the rocker covers and found this.
All parts there, I must have nut tightened everything down. Set intake to 0.004 exhaust to 0.005 an closed it back up. See how it runs tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for the replies and info.

Attachments

M

MParr

Did you inspect the pushrod?

S

SeniorCitizen

A Infrared temperature gun will check exhaust pipe temperature if you have one .

M

mjw357

Did you inspect the pushrod?
Yes it is straight, no marks.

M

mjw357

Got it out, started right up, ran great for couple minutes mowing then suddenly died. Restarted with choke, same thing mowed for a minute and died. Repeated that a couple time, then ran it aound the yard full throttle and then noticed it was surging. So thinking under the load of mowing it’s dying. Dirty carb?

How long did you run it with valve lash TOO tight ? Hope it's not a burnt valve.

M

MParr

Got it out, started right up, ran great for couple minutes mowing then suddenly died. Restarted with choke, same thing mowed for a minute and died. Repeated that a couple time, then ran it aound the yard full throttle and then noticed it was surging. So thinking under the load of mowing it’s dying. Dirty carb?
You may have some internal damage. You will probably have to remove the head and have a look.

M

mjw357

Update 3: the solution to the surging/dying was in the carburetor. This is the passage opposite the needle valve. That little square piece of debris must have been the culprit. Sprayed it out and re-assembled all is good. Wife is out mowing right now. She loves to mow!

Attachments

woodstover

woodstover

1710709729650.png

woodstover

woodstover

That is definitely TOO tight. That online spec is NOT correct. I spoke to a Kawasaki Tech on my previous Kaw engine about this specifically ...
True spec is .004 - .006. Re-adjust to intakes @ .004 or .005 & Exhausts @ .005 or .006
Make sure engine is cold when adjusting valves

Update 3: the solution to the surging/dying was in the carburetor. This is the passage opposite the needle valve. That little square piece of debris must have been the culprit. Sprayed it out and re-assembled all is good. Wife is out mowing right now. She loves to mow!
Happy days are here again.. (y)