Repairs low compression on a Kohler 20 HP

sweatboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scag that the mechanic says has 105 on one cylinder and 75 on the other. Is there anything that can be added to the engine to bring it back to life until I can find another engine. Also where is a good place to look for a replacement engine new or rebuilt?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Scag that the mechanic says has 105 on one cylinder and 75 on the other. Is there anything that can be added to the engine to bring it back to life until I can find another engine. Also where is a good place to look for a replacement engine new or rebuilt?

Did this mechanic do a leak down test so you know the problem? It could be just a simple valve adjustment. Did he know the reason or just wanted to sell you a new engine? I personally wouldn't take a compression test as needing a new engine with out a leak down test and a rip down. What I am reading here this mechanic doesn't know what he is doing and I would surely tell you to get a second opinion.

sweatboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info I think you are correct. I will get another opinion.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the engine numbers and we will dig up the repair manual.
Most Kohler ones are on line and free.
A 20% defference between the cylinders is bad and needs rectifying but it is most likely a stuck valve. wrong valve lash or blown head gasket.
all easy repairs all doable at home.

sweatboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the manual that came with the mower. I will post the numbers as soon as I get the mower home, Monday. How do u do a leak down test?

sweatboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Scag
Model No. S+C 48A-20CU
Serial Mo.6590339
Kohler engine
Serial No. 3625502261
Model No. CV20S
Spec No. 65514
I got the mower back from my new mechanic today. This is the first thing I have taken to him and had been getting my information second hand from my son because his is the first phone number on our business cards. When I picked up the tractor it is running great but smoking. I was told that the plug was fouled on
the cylinder with 65 psi to keep oil in it and run it if I wanted to because it was not going to hurt it anymore. He did not push me to rebuild or replace the engine. Charged me twenty dollars and loaded it on the trailer for me. I think that I have found my small engine man. I will still have to replace this engine at some point. Any help on finding a replacement will be appreciated. Thanks Sweatboy

Mikel1

Threads
So what's the problem with that lower comp. cylinder?

sweatboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am thinking rings. it is smoking and fouling out one plug.