Export thread

Lost reverse; pedal is below deck

poppop ron

poppop ron

Hello, I'm new here so if I screw up don't be upset.
I have a 2013 craftsman pro series 7400 with a Koehler 26hp. (black and yellow)
My reverse started getting slower and slower and it got the point that it would only back up
if you were on level concrete. Everyone said replace the drive belt, so I did.
I still don't have reverse. The pedal almost looks bent which is impossible. I have followed the linkage
all the way back to the transaxle, nothing seem out of place or damaged.
It is n a front end jack and the rear tires are off.
Please help
Poppopron

Fish

Fish

You will have to give the model number off of the tag under/behind the seat.

poppop ron

poppop ron

model 917.986450

Fish

Fish

trans.PNG

Fish

Fish

Since you have the wheels off, disconnect the rod at the trans, and move all the parts. Move the lever on the trans, and compare the position of the pedal, you will likely see something as to the cause of your trouble.

closer.PNG

poppop ron

poppop ron

You will have to give the model number off of the tag under/behind the seat.
Since you have the wheels off, disconnect the rod at the trans, and move all the parts. Move the lever on the trans, and compare the position of the pedal, you will likely see something as to the cause of your trouble.

View attachment 54209
That sounds like a winner, I will do that but it might be in the morning, i'm tired. i'm old and can't recover as fast as once could

Fish

Fish

Yeah, getting old, and fat, is why I don't work on mowers anymore.

StarTech

StarTech

Another thing to check is the V-idler. They are a plastic composite and wear to a point that the drive belt bottoms out. Effectively making the drive belt to seems longer and worn out, allowing it to slip on the other pulleys.

B

bertsmobile1

On occasions I have resorted to heating up the reverse pedal and bending it up.
I have also welded some extra length to the reverse then refitting the rubber boot and make a new bolt hole

poppop ron

poppop ron

Yeah, getting old, and fat, is why I don't work on mowers anymore.
Well this is what I see this morning: all linkage on side of transaxle is functional and moves smooth. The rod running from the pedal to the transaxle seems to have gotten shorter over time, which means its bent. It would need to be 1-1 1/2 inch longer to push the linkage in the reverse direction. Take it off and straiten it out a bit? no way in hell can I bend it when it is, I tried. This unit 7 years old with 420hrs

Fish

Fish

Is that part# 163?

Fish

Fish

Here is a pic of the new one, from that site.

163.gif

poppop ron

poppop ron

Here is a pic of the new one, from that site.

View attachment 54211
Yes sir that is the part, I was going to measure it, put it in my vice and flatten out the bend to make it 1 1/2 inch longer. Sound like a plan?

Richie F

Richie F

Yes sir that is the part, I was going to measure it, put it in my vice and flatten out the bend to make it 1 1/2 inch longer. Sound like a plan?
Why not ?
If you know where the bend is and see what a new one looks like, do it.
The question is. How did it bend to begin with ?
Rod diameter to small or something else.

poppop ron

poppop ron

Why not ?
Don't know how or when it got bent but it was, in the center section, almost looked like it was twisted which makes no sense. Anyway, getting it off/on was very easy. The vise worked great but could not get rid of all the twist so manual labor was involved to make it the correct length. I did the whole process twice. Now all is good with my lawn world!
Thanks to Fish and everyone else who chimed in, all information is important.

Richie F

Richie F

Would have liked to see before and after pictures.

poppop ron

poppop ron

Why not ?
Don't know how or when it got bent but it was, in the center section, almost looked like it was twisted which makes no sense. Anyway, getting it off/on was very easy. The vise worked great but could not get rid of all the twist so manual labor was involved to make it the correct length. I did the whole process twice. Now all is good with my lawn world!
Thanks to Fish and everyone else who chimme
Would have liked to see before and after pictures.
I will remember that for the next time something goes haywire

Richie F

Richie F

Thanks to Fish and everyone else who chimme

I will remember that for the next time something goes haywire
Or bent. Lol.

Fish

Fish

My wife probably bent it.

She is real good at that sort of thing.

She could tear up an anvil.