Lost reverse; pedal is below deck

poppop ron

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new here so if I screw up don't be upset.
I have a 2013 craftsman pro series 7400 with a Koehler 26hp. (black and yellow)
My reverse started getting slower and slower and it got the point that it would only back up
if you were on level concrete. Everyone said replace the drive belt, so I did.
I still don't have reverse. The pedal almost looks bent which is impossible. I have followed the linkage
all the way back to the transaxle, nothing seem out of place or damaged.
It is n a front end jack and the rear tires are off.
Please help
Poppopron

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will have to give the model number off of the tag under/behind the seat.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since you have the wheels off, disconnect the rod at the trans, and move all the parts. Move the lever on the trans, and compare the position of the pedal, you will likely see something as to the cause of your trouble.

closer.PNG

poppop ron

Forum Newbie
Threads
You will have to give the model number off of the tag under/behind the seat.
Since you have the wheels off, disconnect the rod at the trans, and move all the parts. Move the lever on the trans, and compare the position of the pedal, you will likely see something as to the cause of your trouble.

View attachment 54209
That sounds like a winner, I will do that but it might be in the morning, i'm tired. i'm old and can't recover as fast as once could

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, getting old, and fat, is why I don't work on mowers anymore.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Another thing to check is the V-idler. They are a plastic composite and wear to a point that the drive belt bottoms out. Effectively making the drive belt to seems longer and worn out, allowing it to slip on the other pulleys.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On occasions I have resorted to heating up the reverse pedal and bending it up.
I have also welded some extra length to the reverse then refitting the rubber boot and make a new bolt hole

poppop ron

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, getting old, and fat, is why I don't work on mowers anymore.
Well this is what I see this morning: all linkage on side of transaxle is functional and moves smooth. The rod running from the pedal to the transaxle seems to have gotten shorter over time, which means its bent. It would need to be 1-1 1/2 inch longer to push the linkage in the reverse direction. Take it off and straiten it out a bit? no way in hell can I bend it when it is, I tried. This unit 7 years old with 420hrs