Loss of steering when pushing snow

taxguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 1996 WheelHorse (260H?) worked great for 20 years when plowing my driveway. Two years ago, the steering "quit" while snowplowing. That is, I could turn the steering wheel 360 degrees and nothing happened to the front wheels. I took it to my repair shop and they replaced the upper and lower steering plates. All worked well with the tractor (did not need to do any snowplowing). On the first snow storm, I plowed half of the driveway when lost steering again; the teeth were not meshing. Back to the repair shop where they reset the plates to mesh the teeth. Again, worked great until needed to snow plow this past Friday...lost steering AGAIN. Is there some reason that pushing snow causes the teeth not to mesh but using the tractor prior to snowplowing works great. Snowplowing was no problem for the first 24 years of ownership but certainly is now. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you replaced the lower steering shaft bearing? This manual will help you out. When you post back include the model and serial numbers from under the seat. https://www.toro.com/getpub/6933

taxguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I have a 266-H, model 72084, Ser # 5901168

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here’s a copy of the parts manual for your unit. You will find the bearing I’m talking about here, page number 5. Also check the condition of the steering and vector gears. https://www.toro.com/getpub/4720

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If this is any like of the MTDs that I repair then items 2, 3, 6, and 7 are wear items with 3, 6, and 7 more common but the bushing hole in the sector gear can egg out shape.

1641848491271.png

taxguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks much...'preciate it.

204carcrazy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had this happen to my Craftsman, what i did was add a pillow block bearing that fit lower steering shaft and mounted it close to steering gear/sector made a bracket . This kept gears / shaft from flexing and haven't had problem since.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the Redsquare heads up.
One I was not ware of .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve used Redsquare a few times over the year and found them to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. This is especially true on the only Wheel Horse “Mules” as I call them.