Loss of Right Side Steering

Vetteman61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

My Dixie Chopper is an older model, from what I can tell somewhere around the early to mid 90s. The right side steering on my 60" has always felt a little off. This past weekend the right side steering started intermittently not working. Right as I finished it went out completely. There is no resistance on the right steering arm at all and it has no effect on the drive of the wheel.

Could someone give me a jumping off place of where to start looking into this issue. My problem is I don't know enough information yet on what keywords to even start searching for to try to diagnose the problem and then fix it.

Thank you,

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the drive belt for the right drive. Some mowers have a separate belt for each drive.

Vetteman61

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to look over the mower today and found that the nut on the end of the wheel spindle was gone and the spindle had been spinning inside the wheel. It appears that it has damaged the keyway on the spindle. Is it possible to replace the spindle part of axle without the entire rear wheel drive unit?
The model of the mower is XG2703-60. The # on the wheel motor is HBO-13976

Thanks,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
But it will be a transmission part not a mower part so will need to come from who ever made the tranny.

Vetteman61

Forum Newbie
Threads
to follow up, it ended up being that the key on the end of the wheel spindle had become damaged, allowed the wheel to spin inside itself. This ruined the spindle as well as the hub.