Looking for new ZTR

robert0720

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got about 1 to 1 1/2 acres to mow. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on zero turn mowers. I was thinking about a Toro. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

blackie65

Forum Newbie
Threads
My suggestion would be to get on as many as you can at the dealers and read as many reviews on the internet as you can. R you thinking about the Toro's from the box stores like Lowes?

jojo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I personally love the Cub Cadet zero turns. They now have zero turns that have steering wheels and are called ZForce S60...which is a 60" cut...it has four wheel steering and they are really good for slopes in yards...although, you should not be on a slope any steeper than 30 degree angle. Cub Cadet also has smaller cutting decks as well and the decks are fabricated not stamped! Also, I personally would stay away from the large boxed companies and deal with an independent dealer...better service all the way around!!!! Good hunting! jojo:smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Several new folks at this post, so let me say welcome to the fun...
As was suggested set on several and note the things you like and can tolerate... try them out if you can...
a built up rather than stamped deck is no small matter, like jojo said...

The biggest question is what is your budget for a ZTR? There is a big price spread, AND there are some major differences between the top to the bottom of the price pile..... :smile:KennyV

KJINTF

Threads
Understand your budget both short term purchase price and long term maintenance costs
I looked for almost 2 years and decided on the Kubota ZD300 series
My needs were to have something
That will last many years
Be comfortable and nice to drive
NOT air cooled, liquid cooled with less noise and better built engine
Shaft driven system NOT a belt driven system that requires loads more attention
Deisel not gasoline
Took a while to find the right one
The ZD300 series fits my needs perfectly
I believe it's hard to find a better machine

Jetblast

Threads
So many great ZTR mowers out there, especially if your property is flat enough to use a ZTR with free-castering front wheels. Toro makes some nice ZTRs, however I personally would shy away from the Timecutter line as they appear to use "sealed for life" EZT type transaxles. That type of drive system has seen more than its share of problems.

What's your budget?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I personally would shy away from the Timecutter line as they appear to use "sealed for life" EZT type transaxles. That type of drive system has seen more than its share of problems.

What's your budget?

You bring up a very good point... If it's a ZTR or any power driven mower/tractor..
If the hydraulic, transmission is not serviceable, with a replaceable filter and fluid that can be drained and replaced ... You will most likely be buying a temporary machine... eventually there will be problems with a lifetime sealed drive system... :smile:KennyV