Looking for new Mower! No idea what to get. PLEASE HELP ME!!

SeaBass80

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Looking for new Mower! No idea what to get. PLEASE HELP ME!!
what do you guys think of the Spartan Zero turn? havent seen alot on them. there is a PowerPro Equipment dealer near me I think i will stop by monday and have a look at what they have. Any tips on what i should ask or look for?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spartan are a new company so are willing to run on a razor thin profit margin to get established .
All the bought in bits are top line parts so if the welding is good then the mower should b great.

URDRWHO10

Forum Newbie
Threads
With a slope like that I would strongly suggest getting an old commercial with a horizontal shaft engine .
There are only found on top shelf mowers where quality & longevity are more important than the cheapest possible price tag.
New Walker I know fits horizontal but not sure about anything else as I am in OZ .
An out front zero turn will make the mowing a lot easier as you can see the deck & get it into places where mid mounts just won't go

I go back to the days of my Wheel Horse 312-8 and in earlier years Cubs, maybe a Bolens all way back in the 60's. Am I to believe that this new equipment is going to have a hard time on what I would consider a normal grade?
My 35 year old Wheel Horse gave up the ghost and I've been using a Scotts 16/42 to get me through to the time to decide on which way to go. I was looking at some old stuff, you know, the days before the "lubricated for life" model appeared. But for the price people are asking, do I want to take the risk of buying a used Cub with 600 hours on it or buy a new mower with a warranty. The difference is running about $500 more for a new as opposed to a 15 year old rider.

I found one a Cub HDS 2135 that was in fairly good shape, someone put a new higher HP engine in it and the guy swore it was a 42 inch deck. We measured it and I was on the side to read the numbers and yep - near that 42 mark. Because there was no GT in the model # I also asked him if this is a garden tractor. This guy is a small engine place, with many used stuff so I assumed he knew his stuff. He said something about none have the GT --- as I stare at a different Cub with a 54 inch deck that says GT. Hm??? So he was going to have his guy deliver it and I would give the cash. Delivery guy gets there and the entire time waiting for him I'm thinking that TractorData said that mower came with a 38 inch deck. So I started to talk with the delivery guy and he says, it doesn't look like a 42 inch deck. I get my tape out again and he holds it in place and guess what --- it measured 38. So the jaded guy in me thinks, did the guy back at the shop hold the tape in a manner so that it would measure longer????

I said no go --- even if this is a direct drive, I want a minimum of 42 inches.

Soooo now I'm back trying to decide. The truth of the matter is that the B&S engine in the Scotts runs perfect (no smoke, etc.) the deck was good until I hit that brick last week. Now the pulley that should be parallel with the deck is at 90 degrees. If I had a deck I wouldn't need to think about this stuff.

Last edited:

ddbtdd

Threads
Last edited:

Travlitt

Threads
Get a mower that you only have to buy 1 time
I have had this mower for 7+years and it is still going strong.
It has a water cooled horizontal engine025.JPG

ervinsmith1024

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes, pick a good dealer, he most likely does not carry mowers he believes are junk mowers, because its his reputation. Some people still believe is maintaining their reputation over just profit. My Cub Cadet was made by Cub Cadet, before they sold out and now get made by the same compnany that makes almost evreyone brand out there. Since Bad Boy is made in the USA, that was one of my reasons for chooseingit. But like i haveposted, it runs great, handles great but does not leave a good finish cut on your lawn, but mine is 6 years old, maybe they improved that. Most zero turns are for flat lawns, I read. that one john deere has a floating deck for unevenlawns and hills. I do not know how true that is, but you can check out what type of decks and how they are mounted, are they fixed positoin or floating type decks. Good luck
I am looking at buying only one made in America, from a local dealer who is not a boy selling the lawn mower in the shop and knows nothing about it.

dukes909

Forum Newbie
Threads
There's always one guy in every forum that is the exception to the rule. I guess I am him today. I bought a Cub Cadet RZT from a big box store in 2006, 50" with Kawasaki 24hp engine. I have used it every summer since then from April to October. Aside from blades and belts, those crappy aircraft cables holding the deck (I long ago replaced with metal) and many tire plugs and tubes, the only thing I have replaced is the electric PTO clutch, which was $267 in 2013, oh and a couple of sets of spindles in the early years when I was hitting a lot of tree stumps.

I guess it shouldn't have lasted this long with it's stamped metal frame (it has) and I shouldn't have bought it from the Big Orange because they don't fix anything (I didn't need them to). I have 8.5 acres and the amount I mow varied between 3 and 6 acres depending on what I had going on each summer: this year probably 5. I have hills at least as steep as yours if not more so, and a ROW next to the road is much steeper! One year I mowed this as well, but it didn't feel safe and I hired that out to a lawn service company (maybe 1/4 acre).

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate with another CC and a Kawasaki engine on it when this one finally gives up for good. I looked at an Exmark last year but I always amortize things in my head. I paid $3,000 for the CC in 2006. That's $215 a year.. if you want to account for inflation, call it $300 a year. I'd have to live another 43 years to pay for an Exmark at that rate (60 at $215!). I hope I do live that long but not to pay off a mower!

This photo is from 2 years ago after a good washing. It doesn't look this clean now! haha. I also have another mower from 2000 that I used for the first 6 years I lived year - a 42" Craftsman (Kohler) used mostly for towing a lawn cart now.

Food for thought..
Cheers
Dukester
IMG_7655.jpg

SeaBass80

Forum Newbie
Threads
my dad bought a Husqvarna from Lowes and has had it for 16 years and the only thing he ever changed was the belt 2 years ago and that is it! but 15 years ago Lowes and Home Depot sold better quality product cause the companies made better product. now its all plastic of just cheap parts. i went and looked at the Spartan RZ HD 54' and wow what a beast. and the ride was like sitting on air.

SeaBass80

Forum Newbie
Threads
ddbtdd, that is one interesting mower. never seen one like that.

SeaBass80

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I went and bought a Spartan and it's a game changer for me. The ride itself Is amazing compared to the John Deere and Hustler I used to have. It's all around a better machine and I couldnt be happier so far. But time will only tell. Thank you all that helped me to make a decision.

Attachments

• 20200519_201554.jpg
    20200519_201554.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200519_201849.jpg
    20200519_201849.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200519_201922.jpg
    20200519_201922.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 14