Looking for a recoil starter assembly from a Walmart Briggs & Stratton lawnmower

wnlewis

Threads
  • / Looking for a recoil starter assembly from a Walmart Briggs & Stratton lawnmower
A friend was given a Walmart Briggs & Stratton lawnmower, one of the small ones. It needs the recoil starter assembly.

The only two numbers on the mower are: 13-019-51-96638 and a serial number on a sticker (not the emissions sticker) 0702195409321.

Neither of these numbers seems to lead anywhere. The muffler has had any shielding taken off it. Any decals that were on the deck are long gone.

Thanks,

wnlewis

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Looking for a recoil starter assembly from a Walmart Briggs & Stratton lawnmower
That mower is new enough to be the OHV engine. May want to look at the side of the block. Some of the newer engines have the model number etched into the block. Believe on the Muffler side of the engine block.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some newer Briggs have a QR code too.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The first number is missing digit(s). Format YYMMDDFC-SERIAL. Missing the part of the month number.

wnlewis

Threads
The best that I have been able to come up with are the following pictures.

We need to replace the top assembly, or at least the cogged assembly that engages the top of the engine and to which is attached the pull cord and rewind mechanism.

Attachments

• P6073579B&S.jpg
    P6073579B&S.jpg
    914.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P6073580.jpg
    P6073580.jpg
    933.9 KB · Views: 14
  • P6073581.jpg
    P6073581.jpg
    860.9 KB · Views: 13
  • P6073582.jpg
    P6073582.jpg
    866.4 KB · Views: 9
  • P6083583.jpg
    P6083583.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 9
  • P6083584.jpg
    P6083584.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 13

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Found it 09L602-1611-F1

here is a parts diagram of the starter and associated parts.

wnlewis

Threads
Thank you!

What would you recommend for replacement?

How did you identify the correct model?

Again,

Thank you for your help.

wnlewis

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you!

What would you recommend for replacement?

How did you identify the correct model?

Again,

Thank you for your help.

wnlewis
You were missing a number in your initial post that was on the gas tank which I ran through the Briggs dealer lookup to get the model number

As far as repair of the starter you can either replace the starter assembly which will require drilling out the rivets from the blower housing which is part number 499706 or replace the following parts to repair the current starter

499901 pulley/spring assembly
2x 281505s which I am thinking come in single packs but you need two
692299 friction plate because the current one is most likely warped.

wnlewis

Threads
Was it the 381160?

The most time effective way to do this repair would be to replace the starter assembly. That also makes all of the parts new and includes the cord and pull, which are also needed. I'm also thinking of replacing the part that the pawls engage, 455 the cup flywheel.

I plan to keep the original assembly, buy the other parts and learn how to repair the starter assembly myself, since it would be good practice and would give my friend a spare assembly.

I live in a town 30 miles away from the nearest good service and supply store for lawnmowers, etc. With the costs of gasoline, and with time being very critical, I was wondering if setting up a lawnmower and sharpening service might be worthwhile - we have no place any closer than that. I have experience in retail and agricultural equipment and also have many years of doing online service and have a pretty good handle on computers and software.

Some of my friends who are in lawn care and in tree care have said that they would be supportive if I were to open such a business. It would need to be done right with excellent customer service. What would I need to learn?

Thanks,

wnlewis