Longevity of Scag Mowers

Jbice03

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know a lot of people who own Scag mowers and they all seem to be pleased with them. I own a 2004 Tiger Cub 48” cut with a 19hp Kawasaki engine. I bought this mower off of Craigslist around 2008. I had just inherited my grandparents property in Crockett, TX and only had a small John Deer riding mower. So like I said I found this mower in College Station it belonged to a gentleman who owned a small lawn care service. He was asking $2800 for the mower. I fired it up and tooled around on it a bit and decided to offer him $2500. He took me up on my offer and off I went. I used it to mow my 1/2 acre at my home in BarbersHill TX and at the time I would go about every 1 1/2 months to my place in Crockett (3 1/2 acres of usually 1 1/2ft tall bahaia grass) and would go straight to my dads place in Marquez TX to mow another 2 1/2 acres of grass. I forgot to tell you when I bought this mower the hour meter was broke on 1054hrs and also I took it straight to my local Scag dealer to have serviced. When I showed up to get the mower after service was complete I was informed that the engine was knocking and it would have to be replaced. The cost was $1600 at the time for a new engine and I decided I would just run the engine to failure and get a new engine at that time. I’ve since moved to a house with a much smaller yard and my dad has sold his place in Marquez TX. But I still use that mower about 6 times a year to cut that stubborn old bahaia grass. I put the thick castor front wheels on it right off the bat because of all the flats the grass burrs where giving me and I had to end up changing one of the pulleys because the bearings finally wore out. I think I’ve only changed the belts twice and I had to change a hydraulic hose that had been rubbing and wore a hole in it. I changed the starter once and I guess I’ve bough 3 or 4 batteries over the years but I’ve never even checked the oil one time since the one and only service I had done. I’ve probably only cleaned the cannister style air filter twice. Usually have to change the blades about every other year except for the year I put them on backwards. I just had to flip them and got a whole extra year. Needless to say I have been very happy with my Scag. Still waiting for that engine to seize up so I can get me a new one. I can’t wait. 12 years of extreme abuse and this mower just won’t die. I hope I haven’t jinxed myself.

logert gogert

Threads
to be honest man.........run it as long as you can, but ACTUALLY take care of it, and don't TRY to destroy the motor like you are now, because that money for a new engine you might need for something else down the road, and you might wish you never got that engine.....

just my 2 sense

Jbice03

Forum Newbie
Threads
You know after writing all that I thought about it and decided I’m gonna bring it home and clean it up. There’s a few dry rotted hoses and probably just a good tune up. Time for a new battery as well. I still don’t have power where I store it so batteries don’t last long. I may even change the oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get yourself a little solar charger.
They are everywhere and $ 50 should get you a really good one.
Starting on a 1/2 flat battery will damage the starter & the solenoid and is not particularly good for the battery either.

logert gogert

Threads
and actually, personally when the engine DOES go, id just rebuild it if you have the knowledge, but its cheaper then a brand spankin new engine

Its Me

Threads
I have several Scags and do have a Turf Tiger that is a 1996, 1,700 hours, do the maintenance, that is the key for a long life mower, I had only had to rebuild one spindle, at the 1,700 hour time, don't leave it out, cut dry grass, if you wash the machine, blow it off with leaf blower of compressed air, start the unit and engage the clutch of a 3-5 seconds, that will remove water from the idlers, don't cut wide open ground speed, give the grass a chance to get out of the deck, change the engine oil often and the air filter, that mower will last your life time, back in the early 80's I had a mower shop and Dixon was the only Zero turn at the time and sold a lot of them, they were good machines but can't even get close to the durability of a Scag but I still have a 501 model, the first hydraulic model they made and it is 37 years old still cuts fine. and don't ever loan your mower out, NEVER.

maverickpo

Threads
thank you all for your replies. I think I am going to go with the TC II 61" Kawasaki EFI engine.
I have a 2010 Turf Tiger 61" mower with 2300 hours on it. Same motor..drives,as when bought.
Kawasaki 29FI with liquid cool.
Mower mows 20 acres weekly..couldn't ask for a better mower.
BULLETPROOF MOWER

tdipaul

Threads
Here is a 1993 SW that has been used residentially since new and has about 800 hours on it.

During its life its needed two spindles, three sets of belts, 2 sets of caster bushings, 2 fuel pumps, 2 sets of tires, numerous sprark plugs/air filters/oil changes, etc.

If any quality machine is taken care of it will last a long time.

IMO the #1 killer is rust in the deck so keeping it clean on top and underneath is key. All the rest is easily replaced.

Last edited:

hannarase

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I use Hunter Harrier 41 Pro Autodrive Patrol Lawnmower, it is durable, but not one of the cheap ones. I have heard about your lawn mower, I also want to buy it and test it at my work. I think that such a lawn mower is very convenient and does not take up much space, and it is not difficult to take care of it. I work as a gardener and in addition to the mower, it is important to plant seeds that are suitable for your soil, for example from this site from which I order https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/longevity-of-scag-mowers.55155/. Otherwise, the lawn will look like my neighbors', very dry and sluggish. I offered my help, but they constantly refuse. I hope your lawn will not be the same as my neighbors'.

Last edited: