loaded the rear tires

glastron23

Threads
Hi people,, have a Huskie GTH2648 and the ground we mow is quite hilly and slick can be damp or wet, i was just tried of the wheels spinning at the least hint of a hill so as with the big tractor i decided to load the rear wheels... MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE ... i dumped about 6 gallons of windshield washer fluid in each of the wheels and i'm impressed... any one else do this???? Jim

noma

Threads
Hi Glastron 23

That sound like a good idea, not sure what it will do to your rims and i hope you put windshield washer fluid that will not freeze this winter or you have to get it out in time? Keep use posted how well it works for long term?:smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WW fluid is used a lot in tires as liquid ballast....
Won't freeze and is not s problem for rims.
Something else that you could use is "Rim Guard"... http://www.rimguard.biz/
It is a lot heavier than WW fluid, won't freeze and is not a spill hazard .... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
I loaded the tires on my 430 JD with a mixture of prestone and water.

I live in northern Indiana and her WW fluid will freeze solid.

In order to keep my washers working in the winter I mix my own and use Iso alcohol.

All depends on where you live but don't believe what it says on the WW jug because I will guarantee you it will freeze at zero or below.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi people,, have a Huskie GTH2648 and the ground we mow is quite hilly and slick can be damp or wet, i was just tried of the wheels spinning at the least hint of a hill so as with the big tractor i decided to load the rear wheels... MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE ... i dumped about 6 gallons of windshield washer fluid in each of the wheels and i'm impressed... any one else do this???? Jim

The manual for my older JD 318 says you can add liquid weight to the rear tires, it doesn't specify any particular type but it does say an inner tube is needed. In your case, 6 gallons of WW fluid would weigh about 50 pounds per tire. I used 100 pounds of cast iron wheel weights on my JD, and also fabricated a bracket that I could bolt onto the back end that could accept barbell weights for additional wheel weight. They are the cheapest method to add serious rear weight you can find, and are easily removable. The best source for used barbell weights are a Goodwill or other thrift store. Your method is probably easier and cheaper though. Did you fill the tires all the way by removing the rims from the tractor and filling them with the rim horizontal?

Black Bart

Threads
I found some pieces of steel that were scrap from something that was made in a machine shop they were 12 inches in diameter and about 3 inches thick and weigh 100 lbs a piece.
My tractor has 12" wheels so I drilled 4 holes that line up with the holes in the wheels and bolted them on the wheels.
They cost me $2.50 a piece 5 bucks for a set of 200 lb wheel weights was a real bargain.

The advantage of putting the weight on the wheels is it is not being carried by the wheel bearings.
These small tractors do not have bearings that are designed to carry heavy loads beyond what the tractor weighs.

With fluid in the tires plus the weights I added about 320 lbs and none of it is on the bearings

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I found some pieces of steel that were scrap from something that was made in a machine shop they were 12 inches in diameter and about 3 inches thick and weigh 100 lbs a piece.
My tractor has 12" wheels so I drilled 4 holes that line up with the holes in the wheels and bolted them on the wheels.
They cost me $2.50 a piece 5 bucks for a set of 200 lb wheel weights was a real bargain.

The advantage of putting the weight on the wheels is it is not being carried by the wheel bearings.
These small tractors do not have bearings that are designed to carry heavy loads beyond what the tractor weighs.

With fluid in the tires plus the weights I added about 320 lbs and none of it is on the bearings

Man, that method has to be the cheapest way to add weight to the wheels I know of. Good point about the bearings !! How long did it take you to drill each hole thru 3 inches of steel....and how many drill bits did you go thru in the process?

Black Bart

Threads
Man, that method has to be the cheapest way to add weight to the wheels I know of. Good point about the bearings !! How long did it take you to drill each hole thru 3 inches of steel....and how many drill bits did you go thru in the process?

I actually made 4 of them so I had to drill 16 1/2" holes.
I did it with one bit no problem just took awhile.

I put a set on one tractor and the other set on another tractor but this was years ago I have had these weights on 3 different tractors down thorough the years.

At one point I had all 400 lbs on one tractor I took it to a garden tractor pull. I have a trophy that says Wabash county champion tractor puller.:biggrin:

I got the pieces from a guy that worked at the machine shop, they were worth more for scrap iron than what I paid for them.

Currently I have them on my 430 JD Diesel with tire chains and bar tires.

I have a heated cab and a snow blower on it.

The reason I have so many is I'm very old and have had 2 failed back surgeries and I can not be removing a blower and putting on a mower deck I can just barley walk.

We all have different needs and sometimes when we give others advice we assume they are in good shape but that may not always be the case.

It is very hard for me to get on and off of my tractor. It won't be many more years until I will have to get someone else to do it for me.

noma

Threads

Hi Blackbart Now with the price of steel being 180 buck a ton you wont get them for that price now it must have been a few year ago. Hay that"s kool what ever works go for it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
With scrap, prepped and bringing less than 10 cents a pound now.... you can still shop the scrap yards, and farm auctions for some great deals on steel... :smile:KennyV