Let's Talk BLADES!

KM Richards

Threads

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blades are one of those things that many people have different opinions on. Do you side discharge? Do you use a chute blocker? I had a Toro ZX5400 and used those same blades on the mower. They were just okay for side discharge. They weren’t anything special and tended to pack cut grass under the deck and drop big clumps every so often. I had much better performance with the OEM high lift style blades.
This was my go to blade. https://www.rotarycorp.com/product/13226

bkeller500

Threads
Several good choices out there for replacement mower blades. If you are wanting a Gator G3 blade, I assume mulching your grass is a goal. My experience with Gator blades was great, in they cut very well, stayed sharp and had additional lift. The down side is they really pulverize the clippings which is a good thing but it also tends to lead to the underside of the deck to get grass build up more quickly and require scraping more often. After many years of trying different blades and alternating from side discharge to mulching and back to side discharge, I find that having a good sharp blade, and a clean deck and cutting less off but cutting more often, I get the best results. Taking tall grass and trying to mulch is a complete waste for me. Too much clumping and not a very good finished look. If I only take off the top 1/4 to 1/3 of the grass blades, the mulching blades are no different than a standard blade as far as clippings. I suppose one could argue that mulching blades do reduce the clippings, but your grass has to be very dry and very short. Grass clippings tend to go away very quickly anyway if you mow more often and follow the 1/3 rule. To me mulching has not made an improvement to the cut nor the ease of cutting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No Such hing as the universal "Best Blade"
There is the right blade for YOUR grass and the way you mow
And you find it by trial & error , make notes so you can compare different blades latter on .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
one that is kept sharp, clean, and balanced

KM Richards

Threads

I blow mine right out the side, no restrictions and yes I'd like for the grass to be mulched a little bit (cut more than once) before being shot out the side.

I wonder if the 18-3/4" X 5/8" TORO BLADE ( Toro 115-9650-03 ) you are speaking on would work on mine (Toro TimeCutter MX 5475 with 54 Inch Deck)

The parts list shows mine is supposed to be a 115-2454-03 Blade, but I don't see yet what the dimensions are

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I blow mine right out the side, no restrictions and yes I'd like for the grass to be mulched a little bit (cut more than once) before being shot out the side.

I wonder if the 18-3/4" X 5/8" TORO BLADE ( Toro 115-9650-03 ) you are speaking on would work on mine (Toro TimeCutter MX 5475 with 54 Inch Deck)

The parts list shows mine is supposed to be a 115-2454-03 Blade, but I don't see yet what the dimensions are
Yes, they will work. The blade dimensions are 18.75” x 2.5” with a 5/8” Center hole. The blades that you linked to will also fit a Bad Boy 54” mower. In fact, I would buy the heavy duty Bad Boy Gator blades from the local Bad Boy dealer.
Here is the notched high lift Oregon blades for your mower.
I prefer the notched high lifts over the rolled high lifts.

KM Richards

Threads
These appear to be the same design as the ones you posted

https://www.amazon.com/Toro-115-9650-03-Flo-Blade-Kit/dp/B0178386AM/ref=sr_1_11_mod_primary_new?crid=1TL3XHWV7VHPP&keywords=18-3/4"+X+5/8"+TORO+BLADE&qid=1652893127&s=lawn-garden&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=18-3/4+x+5/8+toro+blade,lawngarden,256&sr=1-11

I wasn't too impressed with the OEM blades that came on my mower (Toro TimeCutter MX 5475 with 54 Inch Deck)

But then again... some of my yard has crap grass that may be hard to cut regardless of what blade is being used.

I just figured after 3 years I need to try different blades cause the original blades aren't cutting that good even in the area of the year that has St Augustine grass

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
These appear to be the same design as the ones you posted

https://www.amazon.com/Toro-115-9650-03-Flo-Blade-Kit/dp/B0178386AM/ref=sr_1_11_mod_primary_new?crid=1TL3XHWV7VHPP&keywords=18-3/4"+X+5/8"+TORO+BLADE&qid=1652893127&s=lawn-garden&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=18-3/4+x+5/8+toro+blade,lawngarden,256&sr=1-11

I wasn't too impressed with the OEM blades that came on my mower (Toro TimeCutter MX 5475 with 54 Inch Deck)

But then again... some of my yard has crap grass that may be hard to cut regardless of what blade is being used.

I just figured after 3 years I need to try different blades cause the original blades aren't cutting that good even in the area of the year that has St Augustine grass
You will really like those Rotary brand blades. They will process the grass well. The Gator G3 blades will do okay but, you will have wait for your grass to dry before cutting. The least little bit of moisture in the grass and you will be leaving clumps and you may have to stop and clean the underside of your deck. I wished that my entire yard was St. Augustine.