Left the key ON... Not Good

sillyboy

Threads
When you jumped the solenoid what exactly did you jump and did you have the key turned to on? If not, that wouldn't explain why it won't turn over using the key but it could be why you don't smell fuel or have spark when you jumped the solenoid.
Hello,
I jumped across the 2 large bolts sticking out of the top of the solenoid. I tried the key on the on position, and even turned the key to start while jumping the terminals. I believe an interlock is bad or the carb. solenoid is bad, as stated above by Clever Dick.

I do not have the mower at this time. It's in a repair shop. I can't work on it anyway. It's really cold here.

Thanks
sb

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is the first time I ever left the key in the ignition. Getting old...Senior moment...

Thanks
As a service tech I do it quite frequently and just leaving the key on does no damage to the mower .
In extreme cases it can burn out the carb solenoid because it does not get either fuel flowing across it or air blowing around it .
However because it draws around 0.05A all it usually does is flatten the battery so deeply iit is near impossible to recharge the battery again .
My problem is on a lot of mowers the key on will cause the hour meter to run so muck up the operating hours reading .
Back to your mower
If you look at the wiring diagram and read the connection table at the bottom of the page you will see that in the ON position the B ( ballery ) terminal on the key switch is connected to the L ( lights on some mowers ) terminal
Now put your finger on the L in the diagram and follow it
You will see that the only thing connected is the afterfire solenoid
Thus leaving the key on can only damage the solenoid & the battery

Now look at the START table & you will see that connects the battery to the S ( Start ) terminal so power runs from ther THROUGH the BRAKE switch then THROUGH the PTO switch then to the solenoid trigger wire
Now if it would not crank via the key switch then one of those switches is not allowing the electricity to pass through

Now you also had no spark so you need to look at the magneto ( ignition module in the diagram )
It is connected to nothing other than the M terminal on the key switch
Checking the connection table you see that in the off position the M is connected to the G ( ground ) terminal and in the run position nothing is connected to the ignition module via the key switch
So the wire on the Ignition Module goes to ground to stop it sparking
Back to the diagram and you see there is a parallel circuit that goes from the M terminal to ground that can also turn the sparks off
This also goes through the Brake Switch, and the PTO switch
SO you had a no crank & a no spark situation thus it must be something that is in both the cranking & the ignition circuits
SO what is there, the Brake switch & the PTO switch .
Last piece of the puzzle
"the blades are trying to turn"
SO that points to the PTO switch not being in the correct position because the PTO lever is not in the fully off position which is usually because of debris build up under the mower

So all you needed to do was CLEAN behind the dash & under the floor

IT will be interesting to see what the shop comes up with

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is great CD (thanks Star Tech)... May the fleas of a 1000 rabid dogs make your crouch their home!
Lucky for you that you posted this while I was typing my reply because I have a firm rule that when people get nasty I stop helping them
We are the ones with the solution
You are the one with the problem

NO ONE HERE HAS POSTED A SINGLE BAD THING ABOUT YOU
So why the insults ?

As you are worthy of the electons needed to illuminate the text I typed, I hope the shop replaces all of the switches and charges you at least 3 hours of labour for what should have ben a 10 minute cleaning job
doubt that you will learn anything from this a your "senior" age you are probably set in your own bad ways
And of course I will not help you ever again either

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I too am curious what the dealer finds. And something that just hit me. It was already at the dealer so it wouldn't have really mattered, but out of all of our responses none of us mentioned checking the fuse unless someone did and I missed it. Not sure why it would be blown but unless it gets checked, you can't say for sure that it's not. Can't get power to the key switch with a blown fuse and without power to the key switch there is no way to turn on the fuel solenoid or excite the starter solenoid. Duh. Sorry. I typically try to start simple but didn't this time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I too am curious what the dealer finds. And something that just hit me. It was already at the dealer so it wouldn't have really mattered, but out of all of our responses none of us mentioned checking the fuse unless someone did and I missed it. Not sure why it would be blown but unless it gets checked, you can't say for sure that it's not. Can't get power to the key switch with a blown fuse and without power to the key switch there is no way to turn on the fuel solenoid or excite the starter solenoid. Duh. Sorry. I typically try to start simple but didn't this time.
Well & good
But a blown fuse would not cause the lack of spark or the deck to partially engage
He did not ask for a diagnosing proceedure so he did not get one
I like to pull plugs & jump them to make the correct connections
Too many times I have come across a good fuse in a bad fuse holder .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Let me say something here. My comment was not directed at the OP but the other fellow which I now have on my ignore list. Hopefully I didn't any insults myself just that would be ignoring the offender.

I figure SillyBoy could use and be able to read the electrical diagram. It clearly shows how a partially engage deck switch could shut down the spark. But maybe I assumed too much.

And Bert I also been a lot bad non weather proof fuse holders lately bad too. Most of them are Pack-Con III and I finally got a source for the holder and the terminals in them. I got in the holders but ordered Pack-Con I terminals by mistake so I got to reorder the correct terminals.

sillyboy

Threads
Lucky for you that you posted this while I was typing my reply because I have a firm rule that when people get nasty I stop helping them
We are the ones with the solution
You are the one with the problem

NO ONE HERE HAS POSTED A SINGLE BAD THING ABOUT YOU
So why the insults ?

As you are worthy of the electons needed to illuminate the text I typed, I hope the shop replaces all of the switches and charges you at least 3 hours of labour for what should have ben a 10 minute cleaning job
doubt that you will learn anything from this a your "senior" age you are probably set in your own bad ways
And of course I will not help you ever again either
Thank You... That will be great!!! And thanks for making a old Veteran feel sooooo good.
I might not be able to read a wiring diagram, but I sure can weld. For many years I held a 6G pipe welding cert., and taught welding.

I'm outta here. Thanks to those who tried to help! I did check the fuse. :cool:
sb

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
6g cert, nice. Personally a grinder and paint makes me the welder i ain't.