Left the key ON... Not Good

sillyboy

Threads
Riding Mower – No Start
1999 Craftsman 42” -- Model – 917.256524
Briggs and Stratton Turbo Cool - 15.5 HP Model: 28N707

When I parked the mower it was running great. 2 weeks later I went to start it...and nothing. I left the key on for 2 weeks. Battery was dead. Battery was over 2 years old. Had it checked, and bought a new one. Tried to start it...nothing.

I then went to jump the solenoid. Engine turned over like it should. I really let it turn over...nothing. I pulled the plug to check for spark. No spark. Jumped the solenoid again and...nothing. I noticed that there was no smell of gasoline, as in flooded. I checked the fuse.

I bought a new solenoid...No start. It seems like the mower deck is ingaged, and will not start, click or?

I called a mower repair shop to come and pick it up for repair. They have had it for 2 weeks and told me they were going to get a new ignition. They still have my mower.

The question is: Is something being overlooked, that I should look into???

Is there a description or picture of the switches in the wiring?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks to one and all.

sb/RM

As a side note I completely rebuilt the mower deck last winter. Thought I was good to go.

sillyboy

Threads
Thank You. I still don't know what to look for. I have just about zero electrical know how with AC or DC.
I think replacing the ignition is the next move? The battery (and my stupidity) probably cooked the switch.

sb

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hook yer key to a wire, & to the mower. Then ALWAYS remove it, after use, etc..

I hang my key on a hook away from my mower, it's a good habit. & I always remove it prior to going underneath to scrape the deck or whatever..

Last edited:

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Does it have an electronic clutch? You mentioned the deck appears to be engaged... if it has a PTO switch then check it is not engage.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Does it have an electronic clutch? You mentioned the deck appears to be engaged... if it has a PTO switch then check it is not engage.
Please learn to read electrical schematics especially when they are provided. It is fairly easy once you put your mind to it.

I didn't see where he typed the deck was trying to move. my fault for multitasking yesterday. Typing on the computer and talking with a customer on the phone and with the my kids. Sometimes I have reread posts. Even now I eating breakfast, getting my normal day started and just now it is in the teens. No way I am working plastics this morning, maybe this afternoon.

Provided the correct model was given, No he doesn't have an electric PTO clutch. But if the deck engagement lever is in the engaged position it will prevent the starter from operating via the ignition key. It also will prevent spark plug from sparking if the op is off the seat (or seat connector disconnected, it has a shorting strip).

The engine will only start via the ignition switch if the clutch/brake is depressed and the PTO is off.

About the things that can be damage leaving the key and not running is the battery (most times) and carburetor fuel solenoid (sometimes).

Last edited:

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Please learn to read electrical schematics especially when they are provided. It is fairly easy once you put your mind to it.

I didn't see where he typed the deck was trying to move. my fault for multitasking yesterday. Typing on the computer and talking with a customer on the phone and with the my kids. Sometimes I have reread posts. Even now I eating breakfast, getting my normal day started and just now it is in the teens. No way I am working plastics this morning, maybe this afternoon.

Provided the correct model was given, No he doesn't have an electric PTO clutch. But if the deck engagement lever is in the engaged position it will prevent the starter from operating via the ignition key. It also will prevent spark plug from sparking if the op is on the seat (or seat connector disconnected, it has a shorting strip).

The engine will only start via the ignition switch if the clutch/brake is depressed and the PTO is off.

About the things that can be damage leaving the key and not running is the battery (most times) and carburetor fuel solenoid (sometimes).

That's why I asked and didn't assume. No need to be a clever dick.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
When you jumped the solenoid what exactly did you jump and did you have the key turned to on? If not, that wouldn't explain why it won't turn over using the key but it could be why you don't smell fuel or have spark when you jumped the solenoid.

Last edited:

sillyboy

Threads
Hook yer key to a wire, & to the mower. Then ALWAYS remove it, after use, etc..

I hang my key on a hook away from my mower, it;'s a good habit. & I always remove it prior to going under the scrape the deck or whatever..
This is the first time I ever left the key in the ignition. Getting old...Senior moment...

Thanks