Left control arm will not move forward or back on this zero-turn mower.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
  • / Left control arm will not move forward or back on this zero-turn mower.
Near-new Husqvarna RZ3016, Product Number 966612301 used about twenty minutes and then parked for three months in dry carport. Today, the left control arm will not move forward or back. Right control arm works fine but since left control arm seems locked in neutral position, the mower will move only in a circle. Hydraulic pump bypass linkage is disengaged on both sides. In case it matters both left and right rear wheels will roll freely when hydraulic pump bypass linkage is engaged.

966612301 Manual

Born2Mow

Threads
Don't muck around with it. Take it back to the dealer and explain the situation.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have some corrosion on the control arm, most likely on the air damper
Remove it and see if the lever moves OK
BEcause these mowers are cheap the parts are cheap and require regular lubing with dry lithium spray grease to keep them moving freely & prevent corrosion.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
Thanks for the replies but I found the problem. I have no idea how such a thing could have happened.

I would return it to the store but this was a special order and took over three weeks to get here. Then there is all the trouble of hooking up the trailer and getting the mower on it. Then I have to wait another two-weeks+ for either a repair or another one.

I hope you can see in the first picture below that little tab is not withdrawing far enough. It is still engaged in its neutral slot. This is the view of the inside. See outside view below this. Both views are with the control/steering handle fully in the up position.

I've looked at the Parts manual and I see no way to adjust this so I'm going to use some washers as a shim. I'll post pictures after it's done.

Defect Inside View Circled.JPG

Defect Outside View Circled.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That tab is part of the lap bar designed to prevent the lap bar moving into a drive position when the brake is on
Check the pivot bolt
It could have gotten damaged in transit , particularly if they used the bars as a tie down point ( some people should never be allowed to truck anything )
Alternatively a couple of strokes with a 2nd cut file on the top of the hole would probably get you out onto the lawn .

Alex Ethridge

Threads
Well, it worked just perfectly the first time I used it. Then it just sat there on the carport with nothing on it, leaning on it or otherwise touching it for a while, then this. So slim chance it was damaged in shipment. Gremlins on my carport, I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
Shimming done. The shims (washers) didn't show as well in the picture I made after after tightening the bolts so this before tightening.
P1033301.JPG

After tightening:
P1033305.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well, it worked just perfectly the first time I used it. Then it just sat there on the carport with nothing on it, leaning on it or otherwise touching it for a while, then this. So slim chance it was damaged in shipment. Gremlins on my carport, I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion.
But how many times did you flip the bars out when you first drove it ?
Probably find the pivot bolt is also loose and the lap bar is slightly bent
Also the control rod shown in the last photo has a loose jamb nut so you will need to nip it up lest it loosen in use .

Alex Ethridge

Threads
I do not know how many times I flipped the bars out the first (and only) time I drove it, more than a half dozen and less than 20 maybe. After several months, I really can't do better than that. I don't understand what that has to do with anything.

I don't know what a lap bar is, unless it is what I call the control arm.

As for the jamb nut, I tightened it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Boy, my opinion of Husqvarna is really dropping. I bought a 455 Rancher chainsaw on 03/22/2019 and one year later to the month the fuel lines inside the fuel tank had turned totally to a gummy, black, tar-like mush. Yes, I know I should have run the tank dry, but total mush?

Giannaapom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it depend on keeping the car in certain conditions? When I kept the car without a garage it was much worse, but now they installed https://carportaustralia.com.au/ awning and it is better from the inside, in some places even corrosion is gone. One last thing: if the area is large and you have several potential places to install a shed, put it where the ground is not suitable for growing plants. For example, because of the old concrete foundation of another structure or dense shade from a nearby tree.

Last edited: