leaving grass uncut

jeffnang

Threads
What causes strips of grass being left uncut. Blades feel sharp to me.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Loose blade bolt.
Bent blade.
Deck belt tension.
Grass buildup.
Blade installed up side down.

plateauman57

Threads
I agree with the previous post, especially the part about grass built up on your deck.

dnewton3

Threads
And don't forget the obvious; mowing too fast for conditions present ...

davevfla

Threads
having the same issue. i mow at 3.5 to 4''. always mowed well for me and now leaving lines. new belts i sharpen blades daily. i do hear a bit of a clunk when i first turn the blades on not sure about that but getting frustrated cutting everything twice. cleaned deck an new belts and blades whats next? also how tight should you run the belt. thanks, dave

Threads

davevfla

Threads
read that thread no real help there sounds like that was a homeowner model. i have a 48'' scag and it is the 17 hp so it does have the power just not quite sure about this uncut grass i have the mulching deck closed. i have even taken the blocker off and still the same problem 2 stripes between the blades.

Threads
read that thread no real help there sounds like that was a homeowner model. i have a 48'' scag and it is the 17 hp so it does have the power just not quite sure about this uncut grass i have the mulching deck closed. i have even taken the blocker off and still the same problem 2 stripes between the blades.

Sure you have the right length blades?

bles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sure you have the right length blades?

Bought a Hustler Raptor 08/2015 from Lowes and it has been leaving a strip of uncut grass since the first day I used it.

Tried leveling the deck, cleaning the deck, 3 different sets of blades, adjusting tire pressure....
It would always start out okay and after about 15 minutes start leaving the strip uncut.

I did notice a chattering sound and when I turned a sharp curve and the edge was worse.

So, I sprayed the belt with auto belt dressing and the cut was a little better and the chattering not so often but it still left a strip, just not as distinct.

Yesterday, replaced the belt and the tension spring for the idler.

No more uncut strip. Mowed for 2 hours and never had any uncut strips and curves were nice and even.

Also, the nut holding the pulley for the idler was so tight I had to use a 5' pipe on a 2' BB to loosen it. Seemed odd for a self locking nylon nut.
Didn't notice if that was keeping the pulley from turning freely. Just warning you if you change the belt/pulley that was the hardest part.

Since I clean the deck after every use I think for the first 15 minutes the blades were spinning okay.
Once the grass built up inside the deck the blades started chattering/slipping and it would leave the uncut strip.

I've already had to put a tube in one of the tubeless tires. No holes or damage to the tire, rim leaks.
And the deck seems to accumulate grass that's packed like concrete worse than most.
One of my neighbors has a 52" commercial version he paid $7K for and he is having the same problem on one side of the deck.
The local Hustler dealer has been been no help and only contacted him after he gave up and complained to Hustler.
You'd think with all the complaints about Hustlers leaving uncut strips they'd have figured out more than recommendations to "Level the deck" "Inflate the tires".
Maybe, "fix the fabricated deck" they brag about in the advertising?
Would I recommend the Raptor? No.
But you have to love that Kawasaki engine.