leaving a streak

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Problem is still present. Any suggestions? New blades (Oregon). Thanks
Tire air pressure should be spot on according to your manual specs. Front tires might be low allowing the sidewall to dive in and cut low on turns. Check your air pressure monthly.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is sort of normal and is a function of the way the blades overlap
Triple check that the front blade is the correct length.
Try turning different curves.
You will see that a specific turn will leave a mowhawk
Happens more or less on every deck that does not have timed overlapping blades

If I repeat this often enough perhaps it will sink in
One blade is foreward of the other so they only overlap when traveling in a strait line
Put two coins on a sheet of paper with some flour on it represent your blades & lawn
Put your fingers on the coins then swing them left & right
You will see one way the overlap increases and the width of cut decreases and the other way the width stays the same but there is a big section that is not cut
The mount this happens will depend upon the mowing speed , they mowing height, the type of blades, the type of grass, the height of the grass.

JESUS freak

Threads

If I repeat this often enough perhaps it will sink in
One blade is foreward of the other so they only overlap when traveling in a strait line
Put two coins on a sheet of paper with some flour on it represent your blades & lawn
Put your fingers on the coins then swing them left & right
You will see one way the overlap increases and the width of cut decreases and the other way the width stays the same but there is a big section that is not cut
The mount this happens will depend upon the mowing speed , they mowing height, the type of blades, the type of grass, the height of the grass.

I could care less how many times you print it sir.. I only asked a simple question. If no simple answer leave it alone

cruzenmike

Threads
I have a 2015 XT3 GSX. It leaves a small streak of uncut grass only when i turn right or left. The blades LOOK good. Any suggestions?
Has this happened since new? Do you notice this only at certainly cutting heights? If the problem has always been present then it is the result of bad design. If not, then something has gone wrong in/under the deck. As for cutting height, there is a time when the blades may not be processing the clippings fast/efficient enough which is then also affected by turning. I am not familiar with the 48" deck but if I do recall the GSX had many deck options 42-54" and in stamped and fabricated variations. I personally had a mower with the 50" stamped deck and it cut beautifully without trails. Might I suggest reaching out to Cub Cadet customer service or your local dealer as this machine is a dealer only model; they may have some insight into your problem. Generally I would think that the blade overlap in any deck design would account for turning unless there are other variables at play that are not deck related, such as grade, mowing speed, grass length, cut height, blade sharpness, blade tip speed and the list goes on. I don't have an answer but maybe just taking the deck off, flipping it over and rotating the blades by hand to see where they "meet" at the overlap may tell you wherever or not the deck is okay?

Good luck!

JESUS freak

Threads
Has this happened since new? Do you notice this only at certainly cutting heights? If the problem has always been present then it is the result of bad design. If not, then something has gone wrong in/under the deck. As for cutting height, there is a time when the blades may not be processing the clippings fast/efficient enough which is then also affected by turning. I am not familiar with the 48" deck but if I do recall the GSX had many deck options 42-54" and in stamped and fabricated variations. I personally had a mower with the 50" stamped deck and it cut beautifully without trails. Might I suggest reaching out to Cub Cadet customer service or your local dealer as this machine is a dealer only model; they may have some insight into your problem. Generally I would think that the blade overlap in any deck design would account for turning unless there are other variables at play that are not deck related, such as grade, mowing speed, grass length, cut height, blade sharpness, blade tip speed and the list goes on. I don't have an answer but maybe just taking the deck off, flipping it over and rotating the blades by hand to see where they "meet" at the overlap may tell you wherever or not the deck is okay?

Good luck!
Thanks...looks like that is my next option...talk to a local dealer or customer service. I have had the deck off and all LOOKED ok. Thanks fo the reply !

JESUS freak

Threads
Pros, at least in my area, mow straight lines on our zero turn mowers, which can be done on a lawn tractor too so you can avoid funky cut quality on turns.

If I get a "mohawk" mowing straight its always between the middle and right blade when mowing heavy growth due to overloading the deck or in line with the left front caster from it laying the grass down. The remedy is a quick second cut. It's almost impossible to get a crisp-looking cut in our cool season grasses on lush lawns cut weekly unless you're running a vacuum bagger.
It's only on turns...right or left. The mower was purchased used a year ago. Its a XT3 GSX with a 48 inchfabricated deck. I have used it all season and only noticed it as of lately as the grass has really thick. Earlier i didn't notice it.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where is this uncut grass? does it change position depending on which way you turn? So it's on sharp turns I take it?

What you can do is cut 2 or 3 laps around the perimeter doing gradual turns, if that's possible, and then mow straight back and forth on the inner portions of the lawn, using the cut perimeter for your turns. You'll need to swing out wide to make your turns and then cut back in on a lawn tractor, but it can be done. Or just run around the perimeter where the turns and uneven grass is after you're done. As suggested above, this may just be normal. You can however make operational changes in you mowing style to accommodate for it. There's more to cutting grass than many realize...

cruzenmike

Threads
I tend to do 3 point turns with some backing up at the end of each row so if there happened to be an uncut strip from the turn it would be recut as I mow in the forward direction again. The fact that you mention that you only really noticed it now that the grass is thick points back to my theory that the deck is not processing the clippings effectively enough. I know that you tried different blades already, but do a little experimenting with different cut heights and different ground speeds.

I just acquired a new to me John Deere with a mulching deck that would leave a strip of uncut grass along the left side of the deck. In my case, it was due to trying to cut off more than the blades could process given the deck setup. I removed the mulching baffle and the issue resolved instantly. So in my case, the inability of the grass to evacuate from beneath the deck was impeding the blades from cutting all of the grass.

In your case, it may be a problem of geometry as it relates to the direction that the deck/mower is traveling and the cutting "swath" of each deck blade. I believe that someone else tried to explain this already. Combine that with the turbulence of each blade and a potentially "loaded" deck, you will end up with uncut grass.

This is all theory of course, but it makes some sense if you think about it. No offense to your mower, but the reason why you don't see this issue in commercial zero turns is that they tend to have deep decks, high blade tip speeds, AND if you ever watch them now, their mowing technique usually results in some double cutting at the end of each row.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you position the blades tip-to-tip, how much clearance is there between them?

This is a problem that all non-timed, multi-blade mowers have. If you visualize an imaginary line between the axis of the leading blade to either trailing blade, you will see that as this imaginary line becomes perpendicular to the direction of the mower's movement, a gap exists that neither blade will cut. That problem is dealt with by keeping the gap between blades to a minimum and advising users to mow in a straight line. The owner's manual of my 2140 Cub Cadet with a two-blade, non timed deck advises users to make 270 degree turns to the right instead of making 90 degree left turns.