Lawnmower or racecar?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
And he got the record... :smile:KennyV

Oh yeah, I didn't remember that part -- just that the experience of going for the record made the last part of his life meaningful (he had a terminal disease).

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Burt Munro worked for 20 years to highly modify the 1920 Indian motorcycle which he had bought in 1920. Munro set his first New Zealand speed record in 1938 and later set seven more. He travelled to compete at the Bonneville Salt Flats, attempting to set world speed records. During his ten visits to the salt flats, he set three speed records, one of which still stands today. His efforts, and success, are the basis of the motion picture The World's Fastest Indian (2005), starring Anthony Hopkins

Quite a guy... and a real colorful old geezer.... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Burt Munro worked for 20 years to highly modify the 1920 Indian motorcycle which he had bought in 1920. Munro set his first New Zealand speed record in 1938 and later set seven more. He travelled to compete at the Bonneville Salt Flats, attempting to set world speed records. During his ten visits to the salt flats, he set three speed records, one of which still stands today. His efforts, and success, are the basis of the motion picture The World's Fastest Indian (2005), starring Anthony Hopkins

Quite a guy... and a real colorful old geezer.... :smile:KennyV

I really enjoyed the movie and you don't have to be interested in motorcycles to "get it".

Question: do you know how the movie departed from the true story, if at all?

I always wonder about that -- if the film claims to be "based on a true story". Here is a link to the "Burt Munro" WikiPedia page. A quote that I like that's consistent with the movie:
Because Munro was a man of modest means, he would often make parts and tools himself instead of having them professionally built. For example, he would cast parts in old tins, make his own barrels, pistons, flywheels, etc.

Stevie-Ray

Threads
Oh my Lord, he's Donald Campbell's nephew. Figures. Those people are crazy! Look up Donald Campbell's speed records, especially the last and fatal run of Bluebird K7. Simply amazing.

I've yet to see the movie Across the Lake with Anthony Hopkins, but I want to!