Lawnboy D Engine Carb Floats

GHLB

Threads
wouldn't the question be where can we get a new carb if the float and needle are not available? I may be seeing something that you didn't say, I don't know. I saw some with that part number on ebay today when I looked it up. Recently I had to replace an old carb on a pressure washer that was 20+ years old, and the NOS one I got there was from a guy with 100% rating and some 10,000 sales. It worked out perfect but it is a different old stock carb than yours.
I don't think I'm interested in buying an NOS carb assy. The price is too high for me.
I recognize that the 681639 float is available on ebay, but it is the 681208 that is indicated in the parts diagram for the model 7265. This is why I asked if they are interchangeable.

GHLB

Threads
I checked the LawnBoy site and (according to it) that model and serial number do not match. That being said I don’t always believe them, especially on the older units. I’m guessing you have a unit built in 1976-77. In 1976 the carb for a D-600 series engine was switched to a plastic model.
Thanks for your response. Good to know that they switched the D-600 series to plastic in 1976.
I have a document that shows the 7265 being built in 1976. The same document shows the 7266 being built in 1977 & 1978.
The 7265 parts diagram shows float 618208, whereas the 7266 diagrams show float 681639. I don't see any 618208's available for sale, whereas there are ebay listings for 681639.
Unfortunately, these diagrams indicate part numbers for every component of the carburetor assembly except the carb body that the needle seats against. Therefore I can't determine if the bodies are the same part number for both models. If they are, then I would feel safe in assuming the two float part numbers are interchangeable. That's why I'm asking if anyone knows.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your response. Good to know that they switched the D-600 series to plastic in 1976.
I have a document that shows the 7265 being built in 1976. The same document shows the 7266 being built in 1977 & 1978.
The 7265 parts diagram shows float 618208, whereas the 7266 diagrams show float 681639. I don't see any 618208's available for sale, whereas there are ebay listings for 681639.
Unfortunately, these diagrams indicate part numbers for every component of the carburetor assembly except the carb body that the needle seats against. Therefore I can't determine if the bodies are the same part number for both models. If they are, then I would feel safe in assuming the two float part numbers are interchangeable. That's why I'm asking if anyone knows.

Let's see, back in 1977 - 78 I was married to a 26 year old divorcee, and was supporting two young children from her first marriage. The oldest is 52 today. Yeah, those parts will be stocked everywhere for what they sold for in 1977 or a couple dollars more. Buy the carb while you can. Freaking Walmart is paying $110,000 a year to hire new drivers and the McDonald's here is paying $20 an hour labor. It costs more to feed two there today than it did for a deluxe pizza for six two years ago. Good luck finding those parts for el cheapo. If you could have you would have a dozen spares from your first thread like I said. Good Luck, everyone should find their dream once in life.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
On a different subject, I hope Dad's tube tester is serving you well.
Yes indeed. And I haven't forgotten where ithis great tube tester came from! : )

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
amazing. Someone still has a tube tester. Last one I owned was a Hickock back about 1976 or so. I see these repair programs where people have something with tubes in them, and they never test them - just assume they are good if the filament glows.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Still have a tube tester, two Caliphone record players, a CRT tester/manual and tube style multi band radio receiver.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
old radios can be fun but since the bands have changed so much in the USA the last 20 years, and the station proximity to one another, older systems don't do as well as they did. Making matters worse, everything was analog back then, and it is digital and compressed now so the harmonics are missing. Add an old man's hearing into the mix, and it makes old radios an expensive hobby. People today live their lives differently. Besides, every morning when I wake up these days I hear like running water / static, and a radio station faintly in my head they isn't really there. We had an old Zenith Transoceanic I rebuilt in High School in the late 60's. Was a fun radio to listen to the different bands. Can't imagine doing that today.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
old radios can be fun but since the bands have changed so much in the USA the last 20 years, and the station proximity to one another, older systems don't do as well as they did. Making matters worse, everything was analog back then, and it is digital and compressed now so the harmonics are missing. Add an old man's hearing into the mix, and it makes old radios an expensive hobby. People today live their lives differently. Besides, every morning when I wake up these days I hear like running water / static, and a radio station faintly in my head they isn't really there. We had an old Zenith Transoceanic I rebuilt in High School in the late 60's. Was a fun radio to listen to the different bands. Can't imagine doing that today.
Some time ago Harry Beenham died and the kids could not sell off dads posessions / businesses / property fast enough .
Harry bought vast amounts of surplus and this included millions of surplus & obsolete radio valves mostly ex-WWII
The auctioneers originally listed them as "pallets of obsolete electric valves tubes "
The number of enquires was so big they first broke them down into single pallet lots and eventually by valve number lots in dozens
The auction went 3 days longer than originally scheduled because the bidding for these valves was so fierce.
people few in from all around he world and there was not a hotel bed to be found in Sydney
They had to set up speakers in the street which had to get closed to accomodate all of the bidders .
Right opposite was one of my customers and for the week you just could not get to them during auction hours .
The net result of this was a couple of local small companies returning to produce some valves that they had not made for 20 + years