Lawnboy D Engine Carb Floats

GHLB

Threads
I have a number of Lawnboys from the mid seventies with D series engines, most with plastic carburetors.
After reviewing parts diagrams for the various models I own, some are indicating float part number 681208 and some indicate 681639. Based on the diagrams, I don't see a difference between the two.
Are they interchangeable?
If they're not interchangeable, and considering that the carburetors may have been replaced by previous owners, how do I determine which float is appropriate for a particular carburetor?
Thanks

Attachments

• Lawnboy Float.jpeg
    Lawnboy Float.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 1

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads

same question you asked 2 years ago.

FuzzyDriver

Threads

same question you asked 2 years ago.
I looked at his posts and don't see this as a duplicate. His previous post was about carb leaks, this one is about float part numbers, Did I miss something?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
maybe I misread it. I thought both posts were about the same carb float issue / finding carb parts

GHLB

Threads
I looked at his posts and don't see this as a duplicate. His previous post was about carb leaks, this one is about float part numbers, Did I miss something?

Hello and thanks for your response. You are correct, this is a different mower with a different problem. This one leaks when the engine is not running. I believe the problem is the needle. I'm hoping someone can help me determine which one I need to obtain.
On a different subject, I hope Dad's tube tester is serving you well.

GHLB

Threads
maybe I misread it. I thought both posts were about the same carb float issue / finding carb parts
Thanks for your response. After reviewing my post from two years ago, I can see how you thought the two posts dealt with the same problem.
The post two years ago dealt with a mower that leaked only while it was running. The first response suggested I look inside the carb at the needle. In response to that suggestion, I did ask about the float/needle part numbers. However that question went unanswered when another response suggested I look at the reeds, which was in fact the cause of that leak issue.
This post deals with a different mower and a different leak scenario. This one leaks only when the engine is not running. I believe the problem is a worn needle. So I'm asking the question about part numbers again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I look up the part numbers you list, they both superseded to carb part number 681843. Seeing that neither is available, you will need to order a new carb. I did notice that there might be a serial number break, what is the serial number for the unit.

GHLB

Threads
When I look up the part numbers you list, they both superseded to carb part number 681843. Seeing that neither is available, you will need to order a new carb. I did notice that there might be a serial number break, what is the serial number for the unit.
It's a model 7265, serial 7602001.
When I look at the parts diagrams, I'm a little confused. The engine drawing shows a metal carb whereas the carburetor drawing shows a plastic carb. So I'm uncertain as to what type of carb it originally had. It's got a plastic one now.
Thanks for your response.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
wouldn't the question be where can we get a new carb if the float and needle are not available? I may be seeing something that you didn't say, I don't know. I saw some with that part number on ebay today when I looked it up. Recently I had to replace an old carb on a pressure washer that was 20+ years old, and the NOS one I got there was from a guy with 100% rating and some 10,000 sales. It worked out perfect but it is a different old stock carb than yours.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I checked the LawnBoy site and (according to it) that model and serial number do not match. That being said I don’t always believe them, especially on the older units. I’m guessing you have a unit built in 1976-77. In 1976 the carb for a D-600 series engine was switched to a plastic model.