Lawn Sweeper

RockHound

Threads
Does anyone here have a lawn sweeper? I was looking at one on sale at our local Tractor Supply store and they have one on sale. Is it worth the price you give for it?

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Well that depends on a few factors:

- Walk-behind or tow-behind?
- How big is your lawn?
- Are you wanting to collect clippings or leaves (or both?)

Stash

Threads
I've got a John Deere tow behind sweeper. It's made by Brinly. I've used it for clipping and leaves. It works great. Just have to set the height properly.

LaurenD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, we've got one I'd sell in a second for the right money. We used it for two seasons and retired it from service. It was just too darned efficient. Not only picked up grass clippings but also twigs (which would invariably plug the discharge hose), small rocks, and a lot of loose soil (sand). Got to be a real hassle.

LaurenD

Edro

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 2 Sears 42" high speed sweepers that I've been very pleased with. I keep one at my in-laws and sometimes my 88 year old mother in law will use it. They pick up leaves, clippings, pine straw, small limbs, and blooms from pecan trees. I like the high speed because I don't have to have much ground speed for them to work.

indypower

Threads
I used to have a lawn sweeper. It didn't work well in the fall with all the leaves I have here. Sold it last year. I find the bagger on the lawn tractor works so much better.

RockHound

Threads
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I DO have a lot of lawn to mow and I have a rider-finally. I also have a compost bin which I would like to use the clippings for. I think I may just have to go and spend money.:eek:

Texas Turtle

Threads
Picked up the Sears 42-inch high speed sweeper on clearance at the local Sears Hardware a couple of years ago to pull with JD L130. It has been a lifesaver on my 3 acre mostly Bahia grass yard. One tip - give the clippings 2 days to dry out before sweeping.

avallk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why not just put mulching blades on and leave the clippings in the lawn?

Bruce Mowbray

Threads
I purchased a tow behind Lowes Agrifab floor display which was missing a few parts for $30. For another $20 in parts from Agrifab I have a complete sweeper. I use it when the height of the grass is too much for my mulching blades. In the beginning of the season I use the clippings to mulch the vegetable garden to keep weeds away. Towards the middle of the season I rarely need the sweeper and in the end of the mowing season, I use the clippings for "green material" in my compost pile. Most of the time I just let the clippings decay on the lawn. Good free fertilizer.

Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA