Lawn dye

Mr.McGinty

Threads
Would you dye brown patches on your lawn? Somebody must feel it's important or they wouldn't sell the dye, so who, why, when are all questions that consume me!

TedBeal

Threads
I confess that I have never come across dye like this. In the past when I've had brown patches on my lawn I've bought some preparation like Weed and Feed and that has always worked for me to restore the green grass. Why would you die it? It must be dead if it's brown.

Smartaleck

Threads
I'd want to know what has caused the brown patches. Isn't dog urine a culprit? Or the grass may have burned in the sun. I wouldn't want to just dye it before I'd found out the reason then I'd want to cure it so that it didn't spread to the rest.

Last edited:

Rose

Threads
I've only really seen lawn dye used when the city is Hydroseeding. I know they use a green dye to make it look more natural until the seen germinates and real growth replaces the dye. The dye is biodegradable and I believe also prevents or inhibits the birds from stealing the seeds.

I hadn't heard of using lawn dye in small jobs. So, I did some research and found a youtube video about it. It showed a demo, and it really looked rather neat! I have a patch which the dog, unfortunately, used to use and it is quite brown. I think I will spread some seed first though, to make sure real green grass replaces the dyed grass.

Thanks for the thread. :smile:

rhonda42

Threads
Um ... no. I would never dye my lawn, though my next door neighbor does it. I'd rather work to learn how to improve it than to try and fake people out with dye.

173abn

Threads
yrs. ago I went to Phoinex on vacation and noticed alot of the yards had what looked like green graveled yards. russ

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
In some suburban neighborhoods hit hard by foreclosures, the banks that own the properties hire landscapers to spray the dead and brown lawns to make them look alive again in an effort to increase the chances of a sale. Not sure if I'd fall for that truck, though. :tongue:

Mr.McGinty

Threads
Thanks for the responses. It's definitely a topic that interests me, though I too would prefer to try to find a longer lasting solution. If I had a brown patch in my yard and was hosting an outdoor party it may be worth it, though I wonder if it would look like those very obvious toupees people sometimes wear. :biggrin: