Export thread

Laptop battery question.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I had to get a new battery for my HP Pavilion. The instructions don't really say what to do at first. It just says to charge and discharge it 4 times to condition it.

Well, when the battery comes in, it's about 1/2 charged. The first one, last week, I installed and charged it til it was at 100%. Unplugged it til it died on it's own. Then connected it back to charge again. It only went up to 6% then stopped charging.
This one, i didn't plug in the charger, and I'm gonna let it run down.

Anyone know if your supposed to charge it to 100% first? Or the other way.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

UPDATE New battery, after letting it die completely, per the instructions, is once again stuck at 6%. Surely I didn't get two bad batteries.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Laptop may not recognize it as a new battery. This might work. Disconnect AC adapter. Press and hold power button till laptop shits down. Remove battery and wait a few minutes then insert battery and plug in AC adapter. Don't turn PC on for a couple hours. Then turn it on and see if battery is now charging.

tom3

tom3

Do you get a warning when the battery goes below 10%? Draining the battery to a very low point could be causing the problems?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Check your ground cable at both ends, wire brush if necessary, be sure you have battery voltage to the trigger wire.
oh wait.... :D

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Do you get a message like can't determine battery capacity or something like that? I recently fixed one doing that. Turned out the some HP AC adapters have 3 wires. The tiny center pin was bent not making connection. The 2 power wires were making connection. Straightened out the center pin and it fixed it.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Check your ground cable at both ends, wire brush if necessary, be sure you have battery voltage to the trigger wire.
oh wait.... :D

I'm a lot better (at least a 3) fixing charging systems on mowers. I'm a flat zero on these things. :rolleyes:

LoL, that's the reason I posted this question in this forum. Was searching through computer forum and just couldn't understand their language. It read like English. But too many big words. ha ha ha ha ha

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Do you get a warning when the battery goes below 10%? Draining the battery to a very low point could be causing the problems?

The instructions say to turn all those off, and to make sure the settings are as such that the laptop uses up almost all the battery power, the first few cycles.
I do get some sort of CMOS thing on start up. It says something about the BIOS. What ever the heck those are. Then restarts itself.

Last night, I didn't turn the laptop on, just plugged it in. It was fully charged this morning. Unlike yesterday morning.

Maybe it was haunted. Yesterday being Halloween and all. lol

tom3

tom3

Well, this is 2020 after all. Two more months.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Well, this is 2020 after all. Two more months.

Two months in 2020 equal about 752 days.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

So I did the same thing last night, as the night before. Woke up this morning to the battery level still on zero. UGH!!!!!!!!

I

ILENGINE

Are you sure it is a battery problem and not a charger problem. I am constantly needing to wiggle the charger to computer connector on my HP because it likes to loose contact and stop charging.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Are you sure it is a battery problem and not a charger problem. I am constantly needing to wiggle the charger to computer connector on my HP because it likes to loose contact and stop charging.

I just updated my "bios drivers." At least I think I did. Now it seems to be charging.

So far, this thing seems to charge only when it wants to. I'm at 94% now.

D

Darryl G

Does it say it's charging? I'm with ILENGINE thinking it may be a charger problem. It's a common issue for the solder connections on the charging port to break on laptops due to using on your lap while charging and stressing the charger port connections, tripping on the cord etc. Unfortunately you usually have to deconstruct the computer to access it.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Does it say it's charging? I'm with ILENGINE thinking it may be a charger problem. It's a common issue for the solder connections on the charging port to break on laptops due to using on your lap while charging and stressing the charger port connections, tripping on the cord etc. Unfortunately you usually have to deconstruct the computer to access it.

When I move the charging connection or the cord, the charging light by the connection doesn't change. When it's charging it's yellow. When it's plugged in, with low battery, it blinks white.
But the light doesn't change when I move the cord.

logert gogert

logert gogert

UPDATE New battery, after letting it die completely, per the instructions, is once again stuck at 6%. Surely I didn't get two bad batteries.
Ive never heard that before, if its a lithium battery i wouldnt discharge it completely, can actually cause wear in the long run

D

Darryl G

When I move the charging connection or the cord, the charging light by the connection doesn't change. When it's charging it's yellow. When it's plugged in, with low battery, it blinks white.
But the light doesn't change when I move the cord.
So is it showing yellow when charging? If not your port is bad.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

So is it showing yellow when charging? If not your port is bad.

After updating the bios, everything seems to be working correctly now. The light, when it's plugged in and not fully charged, is a solid yellow.
All day long, it's been charging when it's supposed to.
But ONLY today. this thing have been giving me fits for the last week. Locking up, shutting off all by itself. I was afraid I was going to lose all my customer info. I got it transferred to a USB flash drive now.

BTW, my original batter was so swollen, it was about the burst. So much so, the tech at Office Depot refused to open the back of the computer do to safety reasons.

B

bertsmobile1

Do yourself a massive favour.
Get an external hard drive and a blue tooth or wireless adapter
Then get a RAID app, lots of free ones around.
Make the external drive a "mirror" of your hard drive .
Thus no matter what happens you always have an exact copy of your drive safe & sound from equipment failures .
hen I had the courier business I used to set up hidden Raid Mirrors for the phtographers, usually a 3 way mirror with one hidden in the ceiling so if the computer got nicked they always had a back up copy of their work.
It was a good little side line for a long while .